Do we select QB, DL...? or the best player available?

Brock

If Buddy goes with the best player available....will we need that position on our team? NO...we need an impact player. Gabbert and Newton are super risky! Our run D sucked last year. Or do we take Peterson? There are many choices. I really thing that we take Von Miller. He will be the best selection at three and then take Ponder with the second pick in the third round. I will be very happy with that! What are your thoughts?

Why do you assume that the QB or DL won't be the best player available? The only players with a better draft grade than Gabbert and Dareus are likely Peterson and maybe Green. I hope Peterson slips past Denver. If he does I think Dallas will give up a mountain of draft picks to get him. St. Louis might even give up a decent amount to move past Cincinnati to pick Green. To me Gabbert is the only lock of a pick at 3 if he is there. In every other scenario I would trade down.

I will tell you right now. With Nix's most recent comments on the QB position being not the number one position of need. I think its safe to say we wont be going quarter back 1. And that makes me a happy guy. Gabbert and Newton are late first early second round guys. Guys like Ponder, Mallett, Locker, Kaepernick and even Dalton all have the same round value as Gabbert and Newton. Newton just has a higher ceiling of potential. But his bust ceiling is even higher. So don't get enamorred by that potential just yet. NEWTON FANS MAKE ME WANT TO VOMIT. Just wanted to throw that in there

Edited by DukeyBomb

Dadonkadonk what do you know personally about grading players besides listening to" draft gurus"? Have nobody said a word about Gabbert you may not even know him. I watched the guy play a lot and I can tell you he is not worth a top 10 pick considering all the talent out there. Chandler is right. Trade down. And im right. NO QB AT 3!

If Buddy goes with the best player available....will we need that position on our team? NO...we need an impact player. Gabbert and Newton are super risky! Our run D sucked last year. Or do we take Peterson? There are many choices. I really thing that we take Von Miller. He will be the best selection at three and then take Ponder with the second pick in the third round. I will be very happy with that! What are your thoughts?

Right now, it's Von Miller. He's been coached by Gailey. That's who goes @3 spot.

Drafting at 3, this is an easy call: QB. I will live to regret this after another year of dismal defense. :wallbash:

Don't forget that the Bills offense was statistically worse than the defense last year. You just remember the defense as being worse because it feels worse to get run on.

If you think Newton has a chance to be a superstar, you put aside your fears and pull the trigger. Though he might just be gone at 3.

Don't forget that the Bills offense was statistically worse than the defense last year. You just remember the defense as being worse because it feels worse to get run on.

If you think Newton has a chance to be a superstar, you put aside your fears and pull the trigger. Though he might just be gone at 3.

What the hell are you talking about?

The offense was hands down better than we have seen it in the past few years behind Trent Edwards and J.P Losman. (excluding that one magical year for J.P.). Cam Newton is JUST LIKE VINCE YOUNG. Except young was better and had a longer better college resume. Bust written all over his face. This guy has only won 14 games. He tore it up in those 14 games! HE IS HE OFFENSIVE VERSION OF AARON MAYBIN in this years draft.

What the hell are you talking about?

The offense was hands down better than we have seen it in the past few years behind Trent Edwards and J.P Losman. (excluding that one magical year for J.P.). Cam Newton is JUST LIKE VINCE YOUNG. Except young was better and had a longer better college resume. Bust written all over his face. This guy has only won 14 games. He tore it up in those 14 games! HE IS HE OFFENSIVE VERSION OF AARON MAYBIN in this years draft.

bc Fitz lit it up against the Ivy League? oh wait....

bc Fitz lit it up against the Ivy League? oh wait....

HA haaa HAAA. Wait was that suppose to be a joke? I don't understand the words coming out of your mouth Chris Tucker.

I would take Fitz ANY day over Newton right now. ANY DAY.

Why would you even try to make an attempt to compare a PRO Quarterbacks college resume to a college Quarterbacks college resume when Newton hasn't even touched foot in the NFL yet. Fitz is hands down bar-none the better QB here. I will give you that Newton probably has superior athletic gifts compared to Fitz. But as a passing QB Newton can't hold Fitz jock strap. Stupid comparison. Who do you want right now. Vince Young or Ryan Fitzpatrick? I would take Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Edited by DukeyBomb

HA haaa HAAA. Wait was that suppose to be a joke? I don't understand the words coming out of your mouth Chris Tucker.

I would take Fitz ANY day over Newton right now. ANY DAY.

Why would you even try to make an attempt to compare a PRO Quarterbacks college resume to a college Quarterbacks college resume when Newton hasn't even touched foot in the NFL yet. Fitz is hands down bar-none the better QB here. I will give you that Newton probably has superior athletic gifts compared to Fitz. But as a passing QB Newton can't hold Fitz jock strap. Stupid comparison. Who do you want right now. Vince Young or Ryan Fitzpatrick? I would take Ryan Fitzpatrick.

I figured the point would be missed by you. You are writing off a player based on his college resume, when a player you are praising, Fitz, would fail to garner your support if he were in newton's shoes, ie based on his college resume.

Fitz was a good player in a terrible football conference. Newton was a championship winner in Juco and at Auburn. Not saying he's the answer but your basis is so misguided its not funny. Esp given that Newton was the #2 rated passer in all of D1 football.

I dont really care who the Bills draft, but Fitz struggles with his accuracy and OBD knows it. Go back and watch some of the Bills games and count how many passes he misses, its more than you want a #1 QB to miss.

I figured the point would be missed by you. You are writing off a player based on his college resume, when a player you are praising, Fitz, would fail to garner your support if he were in newton's shoes, ie based on his college resume.

Fitz was a good player in a terrible football conference. Newton was a championship winner in Juco and at Auburn. Not saying he's the answer but your basis is so misguided its not funny. Esp given that Newton was the #2 rated passer in all of D1 football.

I dont really care who the Bills draft, but Fitz struggles with his accuracy and OBD knows it. Go back and watch some of the Bills games and count how many passes he misses, its more than you want a #1 QB to miss.

No I am not writing off a players just based on what he did in college. I kind of factor in to the equation his physical gifts as well. And while we are on accuracy I don't know if you missed it or not but Newton doesn't have the greatest accuracy in the world. Matter fact it would be on par with Fitz's. What are the other things I take in to account you might be assksskskskin? I take in to account his competition. His interview process's. His offense that he lined up in. The Footwork. The way he goes through reads. And even his wonderlic score somewhat. All BELOW AVERAGE!

No I am not writing off a players just based on what he did in college. I kind of factor in to the equation his physical gifts as well. And while we are on accuracy I don't know if you missed it or not but Newton doesn't have the greatest accuracy in the world. Matter fact it would be on par with Fitz's. What are the other things I take in to account you might be assksskskskin? I take in to account his competition. His interview process's. His offense that he lined up in. The Footwork. The way he goes through reads. And even his wonderlic score somewhat. All BELOW AVERAGE!

Pretty hard to evaluate reads based on watching the games on TV. Ever notice on NFL films and such they show the end zone and other shots, yea thats bc it pretty much impossible to evaluate reads from TV.

If you think you can tell what Newton's reads were you have no idea what you're talking about.

Auburn was one of the best conferences in football if not the best. how is that below average.

Footwork? they are about the same. Sloppy but effective.

Like i said i dont know if Newton is the guy, but Gailey will get a good idea of his football IQ when going through the film with him.

But QB is not set with FItz.

Pretty hard to evaluate reads based on watching the games on TV. Ever notice on NFL films and such they show the end zone and other shots, yea thats bc it pretty much impossible to evaluate reads from TV.

If you think you can tell what Newton's reads were you have no idea what you're talking about.

Auburn was one of the best conferences in football if not the best. how is that below average.

Footwork? they are about the same. Sloppy but effective.

Like i said i dont know if Newton is the guy, but Gailey will get a good idea of his football IQ when going through the film with him.

But QB is not set with FItz.

:wallbash:

Auburn was a one read offense, not a pro style offense where you make multiple reads. If his first read wasn't there he pretty much tucked the ball away and ran with it. He doesn't use footwork in the pocket. He just runs the ball anytime the pocket breaks down and when he would stay in the pocket his athleticism (NOT TECHNIQUE) got him out of trouble 9 times out of 10. College is different than the NFL. If you have a mobile QB in your offense and you send WR's out on deep outs you are going to have room to run the ball if his first and second reads are gone. No matter the competition, if the teams don't have game tape on Newton they aren't going to know his nuances and how to game plan for him. I want to see Newton do it two years in a row. Then maybe I would have a different Opinion on him and more game tape to base my opinions on. Other than that... You still don't know what you are talking about.

:wallbash:

Auburn was a one read offense, not a pro style offense where you make multiple reads. If his first read wasn't there he pretty much tucked the ball away and ran with it. He doesn't use footwork in the pocket. He just runs the ball anytime the pocket breaks down and when he would stay in the pocket his athleticism (NOT TECHNIQUE) got him out of trouble 9 times out of 10. College is different than the NFL. If you have a mobile QB in your offense and you send WR's out on deep outs you are going to have room to run the ball if his first and second reads are gone. No matter the competition, if the teams don't have game tape on Newton they aren't going to know his nuances and how to game plan for him. I want to see Newton do it two years in a row. Then maybe I would have a different Opinion on him and more game tape to base my opinions on. Other than that... You still don't know what you are talking about.

You said you evaluate how he goes through reads, and you cant based on TV. That point stands, even if its one read.

I have played and coached at the collegiate level and consulted on other occassions so i do know a thing or two.

BTW, you really think teams only had one year of film on Newton??? You really think they didnt have his Juco film for all those nuances you are talking about.

Watching it on TV isnt game tape, and you cant break down a QB from TV "film" no matter how much you think you can.

This is a pretty good thread. All sides are making intelligent points. How refreshing that is. Underneath the arguments, there is an understanding that, if there is a franchise QB in this draft (a huge, huge IF, in my opinion), then you take him. But no one on this thread (so far) believes Newton or Gabbert fit that designation.