[OT] DirecTV questions

Rubes

The one thing to keep in mind here is that with cable, you don't own the box.  With DirecTV, you own the hardware and can do anything you want with it.  For example, you can increase the recording capability by adding an extra harddrive (ie: I have two DirecTV/TiVo units, one has roughly 170 hours of recording, the other 120 hours), add network connectivity, etc.  Can't do tha with cable.

CW

160978[/snapback]

Good points Fez. Like I said I love Directv, but that HD TIVO was expensive when I bought it in June.Also, with Cable, if an upgraded box comes out, you can just switch However, I think most people make decisions on this stuff without knowing all of their options and exactely what they will get and how much it will cost before making the choice.

Well, all hardware is subsidized by DirecTV, so they very well may force you to stay with HD programming for a year.  I know they force you to stay with their service for a year (although you can get around that by saying you're moving to someplace where you can't get DirecTV....  They usually waive the early termination fee then from what I hear).

Why wouldn't you want it for a year?  You have an HDTV, why not get service for it?  :)

160901[/snapback]

Only because I might get hooked on it and end up paying more every month! :lol:

Actually, it looks like most places are offering the service free for 6 months when you sign up for a year. I'm not sure if that means I'll end up paying for 6 months, or if I'll have to pay for a full year after the 6 months, but it probably doesn't matter.

I've actually purchased all of my DirecTV stuff from Circuit City amazingly enough (I rarely shop at B&M stores). 

Here's a link to an online deal:

http://www.devsdeals.com/modules.php?op=mo...cf7fef4623117b4

Never ordered from them, but I've read lots of people who have.  Check out http://www.tivocommunity.com (click on the DirecTV link) and do a search to see how their reputation is.

CW

160901[/snapback]

Those look like good deals for the basic systems. One thing I noted that was different between the two deals is one had a basic dish, the other a Tri-LNB dish. Zoinks. Looks like something else I'll have to learn about.

Rubes,

This stuff is confusing. Couple of comments here.

#1) If you have an HD TV, you need to get some type of HD programming into it. It is just awesome.The comment made earlier about non-HD programming not looking good is in comparison to HD programming. A big reason for this is most people try to stretch a 4:3 picture(SD) to a 16:9 tv to fill up the whole screen. IMHO, this makes the picture look like poop. If however, you watch the SD in its OAR (original Aspect Ratio) it will look just as good on your HD tv as it does on your Standard TV. You will just have black bars on the sides of the screen.

#2) I have repeatedly said that if NFL Sunday Ticket is not important, I would most likely go with cable a the upfront costs are extremely cheap compared to Directv. I have been a Directv customer for 10 tyrs, and love them, but would have seriosly considered going to cable if not for the fottbal when I purchased my HD tv this spring. If you have Comcast in your area, they have begun to offer a dual tuner HD DVR that is very similiar to the HD TIVO, just has about half the Hard Drive sspace. They will rent this to you for a think 5.99 a month. However do your resaerch first, as your local HD stations may not be carried on cable. For instance, if one of your locals id owned by Sinclair Broadcasting, they will not let the local cable company have their digital signal. Here in Richmond, both the Fox and CBS HD feed are not on cable.

3) As mentioned earlier, go to http://www.antennaweb.org to understand what type of antenna you would need to get your locals OTA. I have never seen an antenna that costs $100, let alone $250. However, if the towers where the Digital signals are eminating from several differant compass points and are guite a bit away, a rotar and amplifier may be needed. As well, and this sounds crazy, if the towers are close you may need to also buy an attenuater that can turn down the signal, as too strong a digital signal is just as bad as too weak a signal. I live about 12 miles from our towers, have a Zenith Silver Sensor ($29.00 at Sears)antenna indoors and get my stations great.

4) There are a ton of deals on Directv set ups. Common one now is 4 room set up, one tivo, 4 months programming , all for $50.00. Most would throw in a HD Reciever for $99 if you serach. There is also a deal on www.minidishes.com where the HD TIVO set up and installed is $699. This guy is reputable, but is very rude and arrogant with his customers.

Again, feel free to PM me as I see many unhappy people with expensive TV sets as they do not understand all of their options.

160971[/snapback]

This is great stuff, thanks. I actually think that I would consider cable, were it not for two things:

1. Like Fez said, I can't stand the cable companies. I had high-speed internet via cable for a month before I got rid of it and went back to DSL. I had some technical issues and the cable company had me fuming. I swore I would do my best to avoid them whenever possible.

2. Comcast doesn't offer HD programming in my area yet. Don't know how long until they do.

So for now I'll just look into DirecTV.

Only because I might get hooked on it and end up paying more every month!  :)

Actually, it looks like most places are offering the service free for 6 months when you sign up for a year. I'm not sure if that means I'll end up paying for 6 months, or if I'll have to pay for a full year after the 6 months, but it probably doesn't matter.

Those look like good deals for the basic systems. One thing I noted that was different between the two deals is one had a basic dish, the other a Tri-LNB dish. Zoinks. Looks like something else I'll have to learn about.

161241[/snapback]

That's an easy one -- you have to get a Triple-LNB dish in order to get HD programming. Single dish lets you see Sattelite A. Triple-LNB dish lets you see Sats A, B, and C. HD programming is (currently) on C. Misc channels, such as NASA, are on B. (you don't really need to know that; the receiver makes it transparent. I'm just a geek, as I'm sure you've figured out based on my various posts :lol: ).

CW

That's an easy one -- you have to get a Triple-LNB dish in order to get HD programming.  Single dish lets you see Sattelite A.  Triple-LNB dish lets you see Sats A, B, and C.  HD programming is (currently) on C.  Misc channels, such as NASA, are on B. (you don't really need to know that; the receiver makes it transparent.  I'm just a geek, as I'm sure you've figured out based on my various posts :) ).

CW

161269[/snapback]

Thanks again. I think I'm starting to get the hang of this.

One thing I hadn't thought of is, with TiVo, I would need a phone line running near the TV, right? Right now I have no phone jack in the TV room.

Thanks again. I think I'm starting to get the hang of this.

One thing I hadn't thought of is, with TiVo, I would need a phone line running near the TV, right? Right now I have no phone jack in the TV room.

161281[/snapback]

With any receiver, you technically need a phone line.

That said, you really only "need" it for the intiial install. Without the phone line, you won't be able to order (much) PPV via the remote control. Also, after roughly 14 or 30 days (can't remember which), you'll start getting nag messages from the TiVo saying that you havn't called home. This doesn't affect recordings at all, it's just annoying. You could connect it once every few weeks and force it to make a daily call (it's an option in the menus) if you found the messages too annoying.

Short answer: You need a phone line for initial install (so it can download the latest software). Afterwards, you don't, as long as nag messages don't bother you.

CW

That said, you really only "need" it for the intiial install.  Without the phone line, you won't be able to order (much) PPV via the remote control.  Also, after roughly 14 or 30 days (can't remember which), you'll start getting nag messages from the TiVo saying that you havn't called home.  This doesn't affect recordings at all, it's just annoying.  You could connect it once every few weeks and force it to make a daily call (it's an option in the menus) if you found the messages too annoying.

Short answer: You need a phone line for initial install (so it can download the latest software).  Afterwards, you don't, as long as nag messages don't bother you.

CW

161286[/snapback]

What does it use the phone line for, aside from PPV? It makes daily calls, but as I understand it you can't program the exact time it makes those calls.

That said, you really only "need" it for the intiial install.  Without the phone line, you won't be able to order (much) PPV via the remote control.  Also, after roughly 14 or 30 days (can't remember which), you'll start getting nag messages from the TiVo saying that you havn't called home.  This doesn't affect recordings at all, it's just annoying.  You could connect it once every few weeks and force it to make a daily call (it's an option in the menus) if you found the messages too annoying.

Short answer: You need a phone line for initial install (so it can download the latest software).  Afterwards, you don't, as long as nag messages don't bother you.

CW

161286[/snapback]

Hey fez, how long have you gone without the daily call. I did not want to download current software for the HD Tivo, but was afraid they might cut the ticket. I had that happen to me about 7 years ago, didnt connect phone line to the bedroom eciever, go to watch a bills game one day, and nothing. Cleared it up in about ten minutes, but now with Tivo I am scared I will set a recording of the game and come back to a blank screen. When I called DTV, al they would tell me to do is make a daily call, which I did not want to do.

How long have you gone?

What does it use the phone line for, aside from PPV? It makes daily calls, but as I understand it you can't program the exact time it makes those calls.

161305[/snapback]

Rubes,

Phone line is also used to establish where the dish is pysically located. For instance, DTV does not want me to buy a dish in Richmond, set it up here, then send to my brother in Buffalo so he can get blacked out bills games. Same for the other sport packages.

I don't have a land phone line, nor did I have one during the install. Every time i go into Tivo, in tells me I havn't made a call in "172 Days" (as of yesterday).

I don't ever use a land line, Im not gonna get one, and I told that to the installer. Not an issue at all.

Hey fez, how long have you gone without the daily call. I did not want to download current software for the HD Tivo, but was afraid they might cut the ticket. I had that happen to me about 7 years ago, didnt connect phone line to the bedroom eciever, go to watch a bills game one day, and nothing. Cleared it up in about ten minutes, but now with Tivo I am scared I will set a recording of the game and come back to a blank screen. When I called DTV, al they would tell me to do is make a daily call, which I did not want to do.

How long have you gone?

161309[/snapback]

I've gone about 250 days without a phone line. No problem with the ticket or anything else that I saw. Finally I got sick of the message and connected it up to the phone. :doh:

This was the TiVo in the bedroom, so I didn't care if I missed something (pretty much just record Sports Center, news, etc).

CW

161305[/snapback]

The landline is used for software updates. Without the phone line, you'll never get updates to the software which could be a bad thing.

Steve, this goes for you too -- you should hook it up to at least update the software. Get a long phone cable and connect it to a neighbor's phone :doh:

CW

The landline is used for software updates.  Without the phone line, you'll never get updates to the software which could be a bad thing.

Steve, this goes for you too -- you should hook it up to at least update the software.  Get a long phone cable and connect it to a neighbor's phone :doh:

CW

161337[/snapback]

Fez,

updates not always desirable lol. Was scared to hell of updated the HD Tivo software, they had a ton of problems with it.

Fez,

updates not always desirable lol. Was scared to hell of updated the HD Tivo software, they had a ton of problems with it.

161348[/snapback]

The updates for the regular DirecTV/TiVos are fine, and that's what Steve has. :doh:

Havn't followed the HD-TiVos because then I'll be reminded on how I can't use it yet... :(

CW

The updates for the regular DirecTV/TiVos are fine, and that's what Steve has. :doh:

Havn't followed the HD-TiVos because then I'll be reminded on how I can't use it yet... :(

CW

161356[/snapback]

Thats what Christmes is for!!!!!!!! New Tivo and new TV. Thats why I get nothing under the tree this year, got my gifts in JUNE

Thats what Christmes is for!!!!!!!! New Tivo and new TV. Thats why I get nothing under the tree this year, got my gifts in JUNE

161360[/snapback]

I'm finishing my basement and putting a home theater down there. Already have the projector and the screen. Just need to finish the basement itself! :doh:

CW

Hey, what about regular old VCRs? Can they fit into the system? (To record things for other people.)

What happens if you try to tape a program displayed in HD?

Hey, what about regular old VCRs? Can they fit into the system? (To record things for other people.)

What happens if you try to tape a program displayed in HD?

161422[/snapback]

Can't help you with that one, sorry... I have no idea (although I know it won't be recorded on the VCR in HD; not sure WHAT you would see though. My guess would be SD)

CW

Can't help you with that one, sorry...  I have no idea (although I know it won't be recorded on the VCR in HD; not sure WHAT you would see though.  My guess would be SD)

CW

161426[/snapback]

Rubes,

Do you want to tape HD os SD stuff. There is an HD VCR

Rubes,

Do you want to tape HD os SD stuff. There is an HD VCR

161428[/snapback]

I'm not really interesting in recording "in" HD, but I can imagine wanting to record a show that is being broadcast in HD. I guess the question is, if a regular VCR can be hooked up to the system, would the recording be ugly? Or would it look the same as if the show was broadcast in SD?