PLAYOFFS 2011-2012

im sick and tired of reading about "what is buffalo gonna do in the draft...how bout we all think about the question that shud be on the minds of every fan posting here and around the world...how will the bills make the playoffs in 2011-2012...thats the focus that needs to be taken by this team in order to be successful in the nfl

Honest assessment of 2011 is that it'll be hard to leapfrog both the jets AND patriots in one offseason. If we don't get past them and win the division it's a big cluster of teams looking at 2 wildcard spots. Especially with the steelers/ravens likely taking a WC spot also. Texans add prince/Peterson they are WC contenders also. Jax will likely be in the mix. Oakland/kc/San Diego could send 2 and all that is assuming Indy wins their division. It's a steep hill to climb.

That said - how to field the best team in 2011 with no eye to the future....

Sign RT and TE in free agency. Clabo and boss/miller

Sign a vet to backup/challenge fitz in the style of thigpen

Resign poz, flo and donte

Draft- trade back and get an extra two if at all possible

Pull qbs off the board 100%

Target front 7 early and often

Quinn/miller/dareus -- must sure up the perimeterof the line

Ayers/Taylor/heyward

Best inside Linebacker available assuming you haven't picked 2 lbs already

Roll the dice a lot from here on out on guys coming back from injury or suspension (go tarheels!)

Pray that merriman is healthy

Be willing to sacrifice 2012 picks for a trade or RFA pickup if need be

Hope for a few bounces to go our way

Edited by NoSaint

You go about making the playoffs in 2011, first, by drafting excellently. I believe the best way to win our division, and make the playoffs, the single best approach to handling the AFC East, especially N.E. and N.Y.J - is put together a monster pass rush, contain the edge, and be stout against the run. In other words, fortify our front seven with an eye towards pass rush.

Now, who do we have now to build that style around? K. Williams is good at creating pressure in the middle. Moats, I think, can add some pressure from the outside. Carrington is going to be better - and that seems to be his style. Merriman could be that type - but we'll need to see it for a few games before we can count on it.

So, Williams, Troupe, Carrington are all good on the D-line. I think we need to add a monster D-lineman who can generate pressure alone, and simultaneously take blocks away from Williams and Carrington, not to mention LB's. Now we can take a DE in round one, or go LB in one and DE in two - in which case we take Miller or Quinn to add heat from the outside.

I believe if we could add someone like Bowers, Fairley, Cameron Jordon to go along with our D-line, we'd all of a sudden have a line that could cause trouble. If we could add some real heat from the LB's - Wilson in round two has similar speed as Miller, but could be hitting the inside, to match Merriman and Moats - that is if Maybin remains on the bench. Imagine what our rush would be like if the light went on for him - that group could cause some noise.

There's my approach for making playoffs - the route of the Giants the year they won it all.

im sick and tired of reading about "what is buffalo gonna do in the draft...how bout we all think about the question that shud be on the minds of every fan posting here and around the world...how will the bills make the playoffs in 2011-2012...thats the focus that needs to be taken by this team in order to be successful in the nfl

It's important to have long-term goals, but this team needs to accomplish a lot before they start thinking about making the playoffs next season (assuming there is a season). First they need to have a good draft. Then they need to be successful in free agency; re-sign our key players and bring in a couple quality free-agents. When the season begins, the Bills need to think week-to-week. That is how teams become successful...work hard in attaining short-term goals until you reach your long-term goal which is making the playoffs. The resurrection of the Buffalo Bills is not going to happen over night, but for the first time in a very long time, I feel they are headed in the right direction.

BTW...fitzy....aren't you an Eagles fan?

First you dont trade for any Eagles scrub back up QB's!

:nana:

obviously just giving the op a hard time,

but realistically you have to go with fitz unless the cba gets finished up really soon. the reason i said thigpen is because he is familiar with gailey and could probably get up to speed fast to be a capable backup.

if just talking about 2011 and not a day further in the future, i think thats your best bet for the playoffs.

yes i am an eagles fan, and while im worried of my own teams chances im also here to talk about others chances without trash talk by any means

You're suspect....what is your agenda?

You come on this message board yesterday spewing this nonsense about how Fitz sucks, and that Buffalo absolutely needs to either draft Newton or Gabbert, or trade for Kevin Kolb. You then claim to be close to someone in the Eagles' front office, and that this person has informed you that the Eagles are interested in making a trade (involving Kolb and other picks) for our #3 pick. All this despite the fact that, without a new CBA, players cannot be traded between teams...just picks. Are you completely full of crap? What gives?

lemme answer all those questions for you.

i said this team wont get anywhere with fitz at the helm, but i also said he was a slightly above average qb meaning top 16 if you do the math. I am saying how buffalo needs one of those 3 qbs to build for the future and for the present. I doknow someone and also realize that without a cba this is all speculation. The trade that I proposed was a proposal and had nothing to do with the person in the front office, he just informed me that the specualtion of kolb being shopped and on the market is true and buffalo is one of the teams. If there isnt a new cba before the draft, as you said there cannot be any trades.

lemme answer all those questions for you.

i said this team wont get anywhere with fitz at the helm, but i also said he was a slightly above average qb meaning top 16 if you do the math. I am saying how buffalo needs one of those 3 qbs to build for the future and for the present. I doknow someone and also realize that without a cba this is all speculation. The trade that I proposed was a proposal and had nothing to do with the person in the front office, he just informed me that the specualtion of kolb being shopped and on the market is true and buffalo is one of the teams. If there isnt a new cba before the draft, as you said there cannot be any trades.

I follow the eagles heavy because I live in philly! With all do respect, don't worry bout what we have in a QB. The eagles have a bigger problem than the bills. Its called Andy Reid. And although its speculation, its no way we would trade our #3 for Kolb!

Edited by qdawg in philly

As Jim Mora so eloquently said in an often shown sound byte: Playoffs? You kiddin me? Playoffs?!

If the Bills are to improve at all, they need to score big time with their draft picks since who knows when free agency will happen. A few good FA acquisitions are needed as well but the draft is it when it comes to any team improving, let alone making the playoffs. There are so many areas to address, this draft will play a huge part in what direction this team goes for the next several years.

It'll be fun to watch in April to see what they do regardless of what everyone else predicts.