A comparison with the Kelly-led teams

duey

"Buffalo's 154 points in its last four games is the best in club history over such a span, exceeding any four-game output by the no-huddle offense of the team's Super Bowl years."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/7998727

To me, this is something of an amazing stat. And what jumps out at me is this...the current Bills are scoring from all three squads...O, D and ST. I'm thinking the most productive four game stretch by the Kelly team was mostly, if not completely, O.

Which leads one to ask the following...is the current Bills squad a better overall team than the Super Bowl teams? Lets look (IMHO of course)...

SB team D vs. 2004 team D...clear winner = 2004 team D

SB team ST vs. 2004 team ST...clear winner - 2004 ST

SB team O vs. 2004 team O...hmmm...a bit more detailed review is in order...

Kelly vs. Drew...clear winner = Kelly

TT vs. WM...winner = TT, though WM is coming up strong

Andre Reed vs. Moulds...different types of receivers, but based on production...winner = Andre

Lofton/Beebe vs. Lee Evans...same as above...for now

Big Red vs. our current TE's...clear winner = Metz

SB O line vs. 2004 O line...just like at RB, winner = SB tteam, though the current squad is coming on strong

Conclusion...winner = SB team O, with the 2004 team O growing stronger as it matures.

Take the SB team that lost to the Giants vs. this squad...who wins? I say this squad, primarily due to the fact that this D is the type (fast, creative, harassing) which always gave our SB squads fits.

Very very interesting stuff.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Super Bowl D was better. Sorry everyone. I really enjoy watching this year's D, but there is no Bruce Smith. I also think Biscuit and Talley were a better team than Takeo and London. Lenord Smith (only SB 25, I believe) was as good as Lawyer. Nate Odoms was as good or better than Nate Clements. Shane Conlan, Mark Kelso, Jeff Wright, etc., were all great.

Also, MM is no match for Marv Levy -- maybe someday.

Nonetheless, I think the Bills have a good chance of going deep into the playoffs this year -- if they get the help needed to get in.

I think the Super Bowl D was better. Sorry everyone. I really enjoy watching this year's D, but there is no Bruce Smith. I also think Biscuit and Talley were a better team than Takeo and London. Lenord Smith (only SB 25, I believe) was as good as Lawyer. Nate Odoms was as good or better than Nate Clements. Shane Conlan, Mark Kelso, Jeff Wright, etc., were all great.

Nonetheless, I think the Bills have a good chance of going deep into the playoffs this year -- if they get the help needed to get in.

160115[/snapback]

The Super Bowl defense was very underrated and the schemes were very basic. Put those players in a more aggressive and attacking style and they'd have been much more productive.

Walt Corey was an idiot, though in fairness to him defensive schemes have greatly matured over the last 10 years.

160115[/snapback]

Jeez...I forgot to compare the coaching staffs. I agree...Marv is better than MM...for now.

The Super Bowl defense was very underrated and the schemes were very basic.  Put those players in a more aggressive and attacking style and they'd have been much more productive.

Walt Corey was an idiot, though in fairness to him defensive schemes have greatly matured over the last 10 years.

160121[/snapback]

I agree with that. That defense gave up a ton of yardage. Probably in part due to the fact that if the hurry up didn't move at least 30 yds on a drive, the D was right back on the field only after only a couple of minutes.

Some of you guys just have a blinding love affair with those SB teams. I guess they will always hold a special place in all of our hearts, but c'mon -

Kelso and Wright were not great players. Odoms was good at getting picks but he also got burned his share (not that I'm a big Clements fan either). Biscuit was good but overrated. Switch Head Coaches in SB 25 and the Bills win (without needing a last-second FG).

That defense had a better pass-rush with Bruce, but the current one is better at everything else. Plus the conference in 1990 was the modern day NFC.

Some of you guys just have a blinding love affair with those SB teams.  I guess they will always hold a special place in all of our hearts, but c'mon -

Kelso and Wright were not great players.  Odoms was good at getting picks but he also got burned his share (not that I'm a big Clements fan either).  Biscuit was good but overrated.  Switch Head Coaches in SB 25 and the Bills win (without needing a last-second FG). 

That defense had a better pass-rush with Bruce, but the current one is better at everything else.  Plus the conference in 1990 was the modern day NFC.

160179[/snapback]

There's no doubt that changing HC's on the sidelines (or even defensive coordinators) would have made a huge difference.

I don't think Biscuit was overrated. I think he was misused. Big difference.

Good corners give up big plays. The key is they make more than they give up.

Chris Kelsey isn't a great player. Neither is Jeff Posey. Terrence McGee ain't yet, but he certainly has the look.

The Super Bowl defense was very underrated and the schemes were very basic.  Put those players in a more aggressive and attacking style and they'd have been much more productive.

160121[/snapback]

Dontcha think that they were a tad light up front?

Btw, I would take Spikes/Fletcher over Bennett/Talley. They seem WAY tougher to run on, but then again, they ARE playing behind Big Sam.

Tough call.

Chris Kelsey isn't a great player.  Neither is Jeff Posey.  Terrence McGee ain't yet, but he certainly has the look.

160189[/snapback]

Never said they were. Somebody did say Wright & Kelso were great.

Again, Odoms was pretty good but if you take away 2 plays in his career - the int vs. Houston and the strip of Willie Gault on Sunday night would anybody even remember him any differently than Thomas Smith?

Btw, I would take Spikes/Fletcher over Bennett/Talley. They seem WAY tougher to run on, but then again, they ARE playing behind Big Sam.

Tough call.

That is a tough call - by slim margins, I would say Spikes is the best of the 4 and Fletcher is the worst - so it's probably a wash.

Never said they were.  Somebody did say Wright & Kelso were great. 

Again, Odoms was pretty good but if you take away 2 plays in his career - the int vs. Houston and the strip of Willie Gault on Sunday night would anybody even remember him any differently than Thomas Smith?

That is a tough call - by slim margins, I would say Spikes is the best of the 4 and Fletcher is the worst - so it's probably a wash.

160219[/snapback]

I know that I will get blasted for this, but I rank Fletcher ever so slightly above Talley.

I know that I will get blasted for this, but I rank Fletcher ever so slightly above Talley.

160223[/snapback]

It's probably a wash, though they play different positions in different schemes. They are very alike in their leadership.

I love London and think he's playing as well as any inside backer in the NFL and has been since donning the charging bison.

Tough call.

160194[/snapback]

Any linebacker playing behind Pat and Sam is going to look at least 20 percent better than he really is. They may be the best D-tackle-duo in history.

It's probably a wash, though they play different positions in different schemes.  They are very alike in their leadership.

I love London and think he's playing as well as any inside backer in the NFL and has been since donning the charging bison.

160229[/snapback]

I think that Talley was a little better vs. the pass, but London is all over the friggin field, and he is just a ba$tard to run against.

I think that Talley was a little better vs. the pass, but London is all over the friggin field, and he is just a ba$tard to run against.

160236[/snapback]

I don't know that I've ever seen a linebacker play faster than London does. He pretty much has one speed. Maybe Sam Mills - who was similiar to London in alot of ways and one of my favorite non-BILLS of all time.

160115[/snapback]

Keep the players we have on D and we are one speed-rushing DE away from having one freakin' scary defense!