Interesting observations from the Indy Game

1) After the fumgle call that went our way and Dungy calls a timeout to complain in the refs ear. The next play is a fumble by the Indy player, the ball is still bouncing and rolling with no one around it it and the ref calls it Indy ball?

It was clearly a fumble, but because Dungy complained, hey just gave it to Dungy so they wouldn't have to hear about it. Very weak.

2) Special teams play by the 1st teamers was pathetic. April Showers had better this crew whipped into shape before the regular season.

3) Having said that, take away the bad Special Teams play and the first teamers played pretty good ball. Nothing to worry about really.

4) Willis got better as the game wore on. He will get better as the season progresses.

5) The second stringers showed why they are second stringers. Shaud Williams played a heck of a game. He should be 3rd RB on the depth chart. Cut Jonathan Frank Williams, he has butter fingers.

6) That one play where it was 3rd and 3, we showed 3 or 4 WR's. Obviously a pass play. The blitz was in the backfield faster than the hiked ball to Bledsoe. He was sacked on the play. Good spot for a draw play, with the blitz it would have went to the house. Maybe vanilla playcalling, but watch for that play in the future.

7) I dont mind when the team gets killed in pre-season. It gives everyone lots of tape on how and where to improve. No cocky attitude when your ass gets handed to you. Expect a rebound week and a good start on opening day.

Everyone seems to be forgetting that in the first two preseason games, the ST played very well; in fact, they were lauded. I didn't see the game on Saturday, but perhaps April used different players this time? After all, tomorrow is the first cutdown day, maybe he wanted to get some final reps in? He also could have been trying new plays and alignments.

It's preseason, guys. I am a bit concerned about the offense, but you have to realize that these games aren't gameplanned -- the coaches aren't trying to maximize our strengths against the opponents weaknesses.

also, M Williams needs to play better, he keeps getting pushed back in to bledsoe and giving up sacks. Jennings also gets pushed back, but didnt give up any sacks,(that i saw).

our O-Line needs to do ALOT better..... but i did see a screen pass, so im happy.

aiken caught a pass, we should use him more. Evans hasnt done anything, but hasnt been on the field that much.

if we go with 1 WR and 2 TEs in a "jacks" formation we will run the ball and only get 1 or 2 yards. if we go 3 wide, we will pass the ball, they will blitz and bledsoe will ball up and just try not to fumble.

i have faith in McGahee and Henry to run out of a 3 WR set. just let them try. you dont have to be in a 2 TE set to run the ball.

Clements runs to the sidelines to much on punt returns. and doesnt know how to put 2 hands on the ball. i see him fumbling a few more times. how hard is it to use 2 hands???

Smith should not be allowed to return kicks or punts. and may get cut. Reed and McGee should be our return guys, i like clements but fumbles WAY to much.

our ST SUCK. i mean come on. who missed the block for that punt? how hard is it NOT to kick the ball out of bounds??? and i say if there return man gets past the 35, than all our special teams players should be fined. o, and if our kicker or punter has to make a tackle, the fine should be 1 game check (except for the tackler).

did i mention i saw a screen.... :blink: if we do those more often it might cut down on the blitzes.

no team will jsut sit back in zone and let bledsoe search for a WR. if we show pass, they will blitz. i will even take a sack, just DONT FUMBLE!!!!

also, M Williams needs to play better, he keeps getting pushed back in to bledsoe and giving up sacks. Jennings also gets pushed back, but didnt give up any sacks,(that i saw).

our O-Line needs to do ALOT better..... but i did see a screen pass, so im happy.

aiken caught a pass, we should use him more. Evans hasnt done anything, but hasnt been on the field that much.

if we go with 1 WR and 2 TEs in a "jacks" formation we will run the ball and only get 1 or 2 yards. if we go 3 wide, we will pass the ball, they will blitz and bledsoe will ball up and just try not to fumble.

i have faith in McGahee and Henry to run out of a 3 WR set. just let them try. you dont have to be in a 2 TE set to run the ball.

Clements runs to the sidelines to much on punt returns. and doesnt know how to put 2 hands on the ball. i see him fumbling a few more times. how hard is it to use 2 hands???

Smith should not be allowed to return kicks or punts. and may get cut. Reed and McGee should be our return guys, i like clements but fumbles WAY to much.

our ST SUCK. i mean come on. who missed the block for that punt? how hard is it NOT to kick the ball out of bounds??? and i say if there return man gets past the 35, than all our special teams players should be fined. o, and if our kicker or punter has to make a tackle, the fine should be 1 game check (except for the tackler).

did i mention i saw a screen....  :P  if we do those more often it might cut down on the blitzes.

no team will jsut sit back in zone and let bledsoe search for a WR. if we show pass, they will blitz. i will even take a sack, just DONT FUMBLE!!!!

11530[/snapback]

Actually M. Williams played a heckuva game and Jennings did not play at all. :blink:

McGee will be the primary returnman. Clements was only doing it because McGee wasn't playing.

I think the 11th man missed the blocker on that punt return, seeing as there were only 10 men on the field. Furthermore Neufeld was snapping to Moorman, who obviously isn't comfortable with him.

did i mention i saw a screen....  :blink:  if we do those more often it might cut down on the blitzes.

11530[/snapback]

I'm just curious, how drunk were you when you watched the game? Judging by your post , you were either completely hammered or you were watching a different game.

Jennings got pushed back?? JENNINGS DIDN'T EVEN PLAY!

We had 10 men on the field for the punt, so the guy who missed the block was likely standing on the sideline.

We ran about 5 screens

McGee was hurt and didn't play.

Actually M. Williams played a heckuva game and Jennings did not play at all.  :blink:

11548[/snapback]

well, whoever was at our Left OT, didnt play well at all. and i saw williams pushed back in to bledsoe a few times. and on one of the sacks, both OTs missed there man, and get bledsoe killed.

i did see williams down field on that long run :P , but i think by then they had a few backup in.

Actually M. Williams played a heckuva game and Jennings did not play at all.  :blink:

11548[/snapback]

Well, duh! He said that Jennings didn't give up any sacks! Is that not a true statement? If he gave up a sack while sitting on the bench, then I'd be worried!

That's what really gets me frustrated. People who come in after every game and go after the general negatives...like they didn't even watch the game. No matter how each player plays, you're going to see Mondays full of:

Mike Williams is a big fat slob who couldn't block my grandmother and gives up 70 sacks per game.

Bledsoe is a statue who can't avoid the rush, spends too much time staring down Moulds and is to blame for the other 70 sacks per game.

Vincent has lost a step and was getting burned on every play.

Clements spends too much time show-boating and got burned on every play.

McGahee was hopping around the field on one foot because he is afraid of planting on the reconstructed knee.

Brown/Losman/Zolman was holding the clipboard upside-down.

etc...

It's like they copy and paste the same thing every Monday. I guess it's too easy to believe that a player who does things poorly in the past will continue doing them....

While we're talking about the O-line...might as well mention the play that impressed me the most. Lawrence Smith (moving like a cat) jumping on a fumble about 10 yards down the field from where he had just previously tossed his defender.

Also, Shaud Williams WILL make the team as the 3rd RB. Simonton will be cut again for being undersized (and playing like it).

It was an odd game for me as well. I was taping it because my wife and I were at a buddy's for dinner (a woman more into Josh Groban and church tunes than the Bills but hey its pre-season so building up chits is important for regular season). I caught a little bit of the score just as we left and it was 30-10 so I started getting worried that the D had gotten underessed by Manning.

Upon further review of the tape, I was pissed to see that the ST wheels had come off and that we got hit hard by the injury bug, but so far as I slowly plow through the tape, the starting D is producing fairly good results, When manning gets the ball in the red zone to start, I count holding him and Mr. Automatic Vanderjagt to an FG as about as much production from a D as can be rationally hoped for.

The Bills should not fall behind 13-3 to anyone, but the fact these scores came from the D holdng Indy to an FG after some stupid redzone starts and from an ST TD is pretty good news in terms of D performance.

Maybe this was just a one-time ST faux pas that can be fixed, but after watching much of the 1st half and knowing there are still a couple of picks and a TD off a pick to come, i still feel very good about the D.

Also, Shaud Williams WILL make the team as the 3rd RB. Simonton will be cut again for being undersized (and playing like it).

11638[/snapback]

Shaud Williams is listed at 5-7. Probably is even shorter. Simonton is 5-9. Both are twice as fast as #21. Maybe they'll both make it.

Shaud Williams is listed at 5-7. Probably is even shorter. Simonton is 5-9. Both are twice as fast as #21. Maybe they'll both make it.

11664[/snapback]

So you are saying that if one sits on the other's shoulders, they'd be tall enough and still not slower than McGahee? :blink::P

well, whoever was at our Left OT, didnt play well at all. and i saw williams pushed back in to bledsoe a few times. and on one of the sacks, both OTs missed there man, and get bledsoe killed.

i did see williams down field on that long run :blink: , but i think by then they had a few backup in.

11593[/snapback]

Perhaps you are reffering to #74 Mike Sullivan who did not look good at all filling in for Jennings and Price at LT. On the firedrill blitz which led to a sack of Bledsoe it was Williams man who did the honors. He also logged the holding penalty which made it 2nd and 30+ after the sack and penalty.

Williams plays RT not LT and as many observed (but few of us can really tell from the outside because TV limits your ability to see warfare in the trenches and we don't know the blocking scheme or responsibilities on most plays) looked OK in his play.

As far as Sullivan, he played at the poor level that a 3rd stringer usually plays at. The Bills did the right thing in terms of preparation for the regualr season which is give Jennings and Price a rest to heal up for the real deal. Building of chemistry would be the preference but reality is reality.

As far as Sully's poor performance, it sucked, however, the damage to Jennings and Price even in pre-season is an indicator that we may have to use a guy who sucks to play if reality forces that. I don't feel horrendous about giving Sullivan some more experience against better player, gosh knows he needs it.

11664[/snapback]

Yeah, I knew that Williams was also undersized (wasn't sure if he was bigger or smaller than Simonton), but I threw in the "and plays like it" because Williams seems to play much bigger than he is (kinda like Henry). Either way, I think the 3rd spot is in pretty good hands.

and i saw williams pushed back in to bledsoe a few times. and on one of the sacks, both OTs missed there man, and get bledsoe killed.

There isn't a DE in the league who can PUSH Mike Williams back anywhere. If Big Mike is in the backfield it is because he is riding his guy back or because they ran around him and Big Mike is trying torecover from being beat by speed.

And on the play to which you refer, Mike had his man contriolled, but Bledsoe was forced outside by the guys charging in from the left side. IN watching the game last night on NFL Network, I did not see one pass play where Mike was beaten by his man that he was not able to get back and recover in time.

The guy looks pretty good for a big fat slob who doesn't care about football or his team and who has a sore arch (oh yeah, and who is a bust, too).