WILL WE EVER BEAT THE PATRIOTS AGAIN?

The Pats have the youngest defense in the league. In this upcoming draft they have multiple picks in the first, second and third round. They have a better owner, front office and coaching staff than we do.

Will we eventually beat them? Of course. It might not be in my lifetime and it might not be while the Bills are located in western NY. Thanks Ralph. As a businessman you have convincingly proved to us that losing can be profitable.

QFT. More the first paragraph (facts) than the second (opinions), although I happen to mostly agree with those opinions. The Pats are either younger or better than us (or both) at every position except maybe long snapper and kicker. They were 12 games better than us this season, and with all their draft picks, they have arguably more ability to improve through the draft than the Bills do, even though we're picking 3rd and they're picking 28th. The Pats famously don't spend much in free agency, but the Bills spend even less, and have been up front about eschewing trades and free agency for player acquisition*. So yeah, a win might happen in the short term, but it would essentially be a fluke. There's no likely scenario for the Bills to not just win a game, but be the better team any time soon.

That doesn't mean everything's written in stone, of course. The Pats have drafted poorly before, although their last 2-3 have been good. Maybe they have 2-3 bad drafts in a row, and we don't. Brady will definitely fall off and/or retire at some point, and the Pats might have a lot of trouble finding a successor. Combine that kind of stuff with the Bills showing a complete reversal in front office and coaching competence, and we might start our own stretch of dominance. It happened that way with the Dolphins, except the Dolphins stayed really good.

*As an aside, given how bad the Bills draft, shouldn't we be all about trading for proven players? A first or second round pick practically brings a king's ransom these days. I guess no one's truly available unless there's something wrong with them, but I'd rather roll the dice with problem guys like Santonio Holmes or Marshawn Lynch than with the Bills' ability to find good players, especially at the top.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QFT. More the first paragraph (facts) than the second (opinions), although I happen to mostly agree with those opinions. The Pats are either younger or better than us (or both) at every position except maybe long snapper and kicker. They were 12 games better than us this season, and with all their draft picks, they have arguably more ability to improve through the draft than the Bills do, even though we're picking 3rd and they're picking 28th. The Pats famously don't spend much in free agency, but the Bills spend even less, and have been up front about eschewing trades and free agency for player acquisition*. So yeah, a win might happen in the short term, but it would essentially be a fluke. There's no likely scenario for the Bills to not just win a game, but be the better team any time soon.

That doesn't mean everything's written in stone, of course. The Pats have drafted poorly before, although their last 2-3 have been good. Maybe they have 2-3 bad drafts in a row, and we don't. Brady will definitely fall off and/or retire at some point, and the Pats might have a lot of trouble finding a successor. Combine that kind of stuff with the Bills showing a complete reversal in front office and coaching competence, and we might start our own stretch of dominance. It happened that way with the Dolphins, except the Dolphins stayed really good.

*As an aside, given how bad the Bills draft, shouldn't we be all about trading for proven players? A first or second round pick practically brings a king's ransom these days. I guess no one's truly available unless there's something wrong with them, but I'd rather roll the dice with problem guys like Santonio Holmes or Marshawn Lynch than with the Bills' ability to find good players, especially at the top.

im not even sure we can get these types of wins vs them right now.

Absolutely not. The best approach to build a successful franchise is to acquire more draft picks or at least retain your picks and make them count. Bringing in problem children in exchange for draft picks is the worst approach to take.

You are right that the Bills have had a history of drafting poorly. The solution is not to abandon your picks; the solution is getting better people to make your picks.

The Pats have lost a lot of their front office people (such as Dimitroff and Pioli) and a number of coaches to other teams. They continue to operate at a high level. Their owner, Robert Kraft, recognized a long time ago that the road to success is to staff the organization with quality people and let them do their jobs. Over the past decade they have had the winningest record in the NFL. In an age of parity, the salary cap and free agency it is very difficult to have sustained success. They have had that type of sustained success because their organization is first rate.

The real question is "Will the Bills ever beat a Tom Brady/ Bill Belichick Pats team?".

Don't you mean again? Didn't Bledose lead the Bills to a 31-0 romp over them to open a season? THE last win wasn't it?.

It's only been 6 years. The Bills lost 10 straight years to Miami. That's how rivalries get ugly.

The real question is "Will the Bills ever beat a Tom Brady/ Bill Belichick Pats team?".

Don't you mean again? Didn't Bledose lead the Bills to a 31-0 romp over them to open a season? THE last win wasn't it?.

It's only been 6 years. The Bills lost 10 straight years to Miami. That's how rivalries get ugly.

against a division opponent. we are dead last in this category. even the lions broke their streak this year vs green bay or the bears or somebody.

its only been 6 years. you say it like its not a bad thing. "im only late 5 minutes boss. get off my freaking back"

thats not a big deal. losing to a divisional opponent 6 years is abnormal, horrible, stupid, retarded, chump. you get the idea.

Sad thing is, the world ends on 12.12.12 so the real answer is no.

The Bills will never beat the Patriots again.

We had a chance in week 18 of the 2012 season but the game is scheduled for January 2013.

:cry:

ok ok..the world ends at the tail end of the regular season..We should beat the Pats at least once before THAT!!!