1st Rnd Defensive Linemen in the playoffs

scribo

What matters the most in football is winning the Super Bowl. To do that, one needs to qualify for the playoffs, of course. So I looked at the teams who made this year's postseason as we consider who to hope the Bills draft first in April. I am of the mind that we could be best served with a top-tier addition to our the defensive line. So I examined those big men drafted over the past several years by teams that made this season's playoffs. Take it for what you will.

* The Eagles took Brandon Graham at luck #13. He started six games and had three sacks and 13 tackles.

* The Colts used the 31st overall pick on Jerry Hughes, who played in 12 games (no starts) earning six tackles.

* The Chiefs spent the #3 overall pick on Tyson Jackson but only chose to start him three times this past season.

* Green Bay drafted B.J. Raji with the #9 pick. He became a starter this, his second, season. He had 6.5 sacks and 39 tackles.

* Peria Jerry went to the Falcons at #24, but he only started two games his rookie season and didn't start any in 2010.

* The Steelers took Ziggy Hood at #32. He did not start as a rookie but started nine games this year with 20 tackles.

* Glenn Dorsey went to the Chiefs with the #5 pick overall. He has started every game he's played. He had 69 tackles and two sacks this season.

* Saints took Sedrick Ellis at #7 overall in 2008. He battled some injuries his first couple of years but had his first 16-game season in 2010, registering 44 tackles and six sacks.

* Gaines Adams was taken 4th overall and never did much for the Bucs. He was eventually traded to the Bears before this tragic, untimely death a year ago this month.

* Jamaal Anderson went 8th overall to Atlanta, but he is not a starter anymore.

* Justin Harrell was selected by the Packers at #16. He has a combined total of 2 career starts.

*The Ravens hit it on the head when they took Haloti Ngata at #12. He is the lone Pro Bowler in this list.

*Brodrick Bunkley was taken by Philly at #14. He never became a true starter and had little to do with this year's success.

*Tamba Hali went to K.C. with the 20th pick and became a fine player, registering 14.5 sacks this year.

*Mike Patterson became an Eagle with the #31st pick. He started 14 games this past year, making 34 tackles at nose.

Now, to be as open as possible, there are some very good players who were drafted in the first rounds of these years now listed. But none of them were drafted by this season's playoff teams. Also, it is important to note there are several veteran players on 2010 playoff teams were drafted in 2004 and earlier, but I did not include them because I do not want to wait another six years for post-season play.

My take? It looks like defensive linemen are just as much a crap shoot as any other position.

Edited by scribo

My take? It looks like defensive linemen are just as much a crap shoot as any other position.

Very true. And don't forget that it usually takes a few seasons for d-linemen to really develop. Troup and Carrington could very well be future stars at their position (wishful thinking, I know). I'm really hoping for us to draft a few stud linebackers to shore up that front.

Now, to be as open as possible, there are some very good players who were drafted in the first rounds of these years now listed. But none of them were drafted by this season's playoff teams. Also, it is important to note there are several veteran players on 2010 playoff teams were drafted in 2004 and earlier, but I did not include them because I do not want to wait another six years for post-season play.

But that may be the precise correlation you're looking for. Knowing that it takes a bit longer for DLs to develop, a rebuilding process usually takes a long time and many interior linemen play long careers, the playoff teams may have already had the foundation in place that in the last few years they were drafting skill players & replacements. On a related matter, how many playoff caliber teams entrusted rookies to start or be major contributors?

But that may be the precise correlation you're looking for. Knowing that it takes a bit longer for DLs to develop, a rebuilding process usually takes a long time and many interior linemen play long careers, the playoff teams may have already had the foundation in place that in the last few years they were drafting skill players & replacements. On a related matter, how many playoff caliber teams entrusted rookies to start or be major contributors?

I am not looking at just rookies here. I am keeping the three-year plan in mind the front office has made mention of.

And as a related note, there are eight teams still alive this year. Five of the starting QBs (Sanchez, Ryan, Flacco, Rogers and Cutler) were drafted in the first rounds during the periods I covered in this original post. I point that out not because I am advocating for drafting a QB first but because it shows the players I am covering here should be granted that trust you speak of.

I guess you're just talking defensive tackles.

I have those who were considered DEs when drafted, too, I believe.

* Peria Jerry went to the Falcons at #24, but he only started two games his rookie season and didn't start any in 2010.

He is a very solid player, but suffered a knee injury last year...I expect that next year he'll be back to form. He has the potential to be pretty disruptive, though.

I am not looking at just rookies here. I am keeping the three-year plan in mind the front office has made mention of.

And as a related note, there are eight teams still alive this year. Five of the starting QBs (Sanchez, Ryan, Flacco, Rogers and Cutler) were drafted in the first rounds during the periods I covered in this original post. I point that out not because I am advocating for drafting a QB first but because it shows the players I am covering here should be granted that trust you speak of.

I have those who were considered DEs when drafted, too, I believe.

And this could also be a circular argument because in Sanchez, Flacco, and Cutler cases, those teams don't get to the playoffs without the defense.

It's no secret that quality QBs go early, and just based on that you will tend to have more first round QBs in playoff teams, just like you're more likely to see first round QBs on teams, period.

But the only common thread that you can tie between the draft position and playoffs is having a quality draft department.

And then those are those times you hit on a guy like Warren Sapp, Hloti Ngata, Bruce Smith that change the face of the franchise. Those guys don't usually come in the later rounds. It doesn't guarantee a difference maker, but a 1st rounder is nearly required to get one.