Fear of Coaching at TBD

Good work. You certainly put a lot into that post.

As long as I have followed football there is one constant. Head Coaches bring in "their people". They bring in guys they know and trust. Guys who will coach or teach their system.

Thanks for the good word. I can see the upside. The problem for Chan is because he's been a college guy so long, "his guys" aren't so deep in the NFL.

The thing about Cross is, Giff Smith apparently has as little 3-4 background and no NFL background. Maybe he's a better coach. Couldn't tell from our line play.

Maybe sending a NT to the probowl saves him?

The bigger concern is Edwards, not Cross. Edwards has never been a DC before. His sphere of influence with position coaches may be limited because of that. Chan's selection of Edwards is something that will be scrutinized throughout his tenure as HC. If Edwards turns out to be the next Buddy Ryan then Chan will be a genious. If Edwards is not adequate then Chan is open for second guessing. I suspect that Chan will give Edwards another year.

I agree for his own "face" and for fairness, Chan has to give Edwards more time. The question I have is will Chan make other changes to help Edwards and the team succeed. Edwards sphere of influence must be limited, not only by his own lack of HC experience, but by his OLB and DL coach having tight ties to Chan. IF there are problems (Sanders not making adjustments?; Giff Smith lack of 3-4 knowledge or NFL readiness?) there are probably work-arounds for next year to save everyone's face. Give Edwards an experienced assistant DC. "Promote" Giff Smith into a scouting position if he was talented at recruiting and hire a good, NFL-experienced 3-4 DL coach. (These are just thoughts, need to be tailored to the actual situation).

It will be interesting to watch what changes, if any, are actually made at OBD.

Edwards was a DC for the Redskins in 2003.

Ironically, the Redskins defensive statistics that year are extremely similar to the Bills defense this year.

The Redskins gave up an average of 138 yards rushing per game which was good for 24th in the league. Ranked 24th in points allowed per game, 14th in pass yards per game, and had the 25th ranked defense.

He was not retained the next year as an entirely new coaching staff was brought in.

In 2004, the Redskins improved significantly with the departure of George Edwards and the hiring of Gregg Williams as defensive coordinator. The team ranked 3rd in overall defense, Giving up 60 less rushing yards per game then they had in 2003.

After reading this thread, and looking up these statistics, I think I'm now on the fire George Edwards bandwagon.

Wow. The statistics do not lie. That's an extreme improvement in one year. I'm sure G. Williams coached many of the same players that Edwards had and was able to improve drastically in just one year. Thanks for the info and make a spot on the bandwagon.

OK, let me say up front: I have never done this kind of deep dive into another team's coaching staff.

So I rely on you, my fellow "up against the Stadium Wall" friends, to help me: is this typical, or off the reservation?

Good thread. Please, post more.