Cable let go by Raiders

Big Turk

Cornell Green and Tom Cable met the same fate. Green was not resigned after his domestic charge. Sure he's an awful player, but the guilty domestic charge sealed his fate. He wasn't going to release Green and end up paying him money. In Davis's mind, his money would be rewarding undisciplined behavior.

My insight is from my uncle's involvement with the Raiders franchise during the mid-80s. He worked for the security subcontractor for the team. There was a guard that was involved in a domestic dispute and it made the paper. Apparently Davis read about it or was informed about the situation, called up the company, and demanded that the guard was no longer welcomed to protect or work security for the Raiders franchise. This happened all in the span of one afternoon. From that point on, security personnel for the Raiders were always vetted for any domestic charges.

Al Davis doted over his wife, Carol, and he was not the same after her death. She, for the most part, was the very definition of being somebody's rock. I don't think the death of somebody like that in your life doesn't change a man.

Davis gets a ton of well deserved hatred for the management of his franchise. However, what is largely lost in the discussion of the "team" is the mix of discipline and generosity of the human being that goes unreported. That would dilute the fun the media and fans have in seeing Davis as an enemy of the NFL and the sole reason for the dysfunction of the Raiders.

I'm not a fan of Al Davis, just a fan who appreciates that the man has two sides to him.

I have little doubt that the decision to not extend Cable was 10% business decision and 90% values. It's true, Davis has no problem with lawsuits and paying fired coaches, but for Davis to give a guy accused of beating up women cash for doing nothing, was an impossible move.

You've never seen Davis give a player a second chance that was accused of a domestic...or worse.

He's very much a mixed bag of the bad and good.