QB Draft Grades

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When it comes to leadership, Freeman is mature way beyond his age. The way he runs the team and commands the huddle is amazing. Tampa's got a very young team and he's grabbed them firmly by the reigns and taken control of everything. That's something that can't be understated and can't be measured.

The sick thing is that Freeman has only thrown 6 INTs this year to 23 TDs.

Totally agree. I don't really have any positive or negative feelings about the Bucs, so I'm usually able to just watch objectively and enjoy their games. It's really surprising how complete of a QB Freeman is already...scary to think about how good this kid will be if he's already this good. I didn't know much about him coming out of Kansas or wherever it was he went to school, but the more I learn about him the more I like. I think their coach is an overconfident blowhard who needs to stfu at times, but that team seems poised to really shake things up and make a statement in the next year or two. Freeman is obviously a big reason why. On top of that, K2 has been making some ridiculous catches, so if he can grow up a bit and focus more on his craft, he's going to be a potent weapon for them. The Atlanta/TB rivalry is getting good :)

Totally subjective analysis. Fitz had flashes of brilliance too. Bradford got crushed by the mighty Detroit Lions 44-6. But Bradford gets all kinds of mulligans because he's a #1 pick.

K-Gun, if you are going to damn Fitzpatrick based on stats, then you have to compare apples to apples. Bradford had a worse year than Fitz, but Bradford is a #1 overall pick from a football factory and Fitz is a 7th round Harvard egghead. That is the ONLY reason why Bradford gets the love.

PTR

Bradford doesn't get praised because he is a #1 pick. He gets praised for his play as a rookie quarterback. It's about youth, natural physical ability, and performance relative to NFL experience. There's no guarantee but it's safe to assume a quarterback breaking rookie records will only improve as he gains more experience. It's not an apples to apples comparison. Ryan Fitzpatrick is in the prime of his career right now and as someone else has said, Fitzpatrick has likely maxed out his physical potential with his performance this season.

If Sam Bradford was a 7th round Harvard egghead rookie quarterback he would get the same - probably much more - praise than he currently receives.

Here's my point: I'm sick of the double-standard #1 picks get. Sam Bradford may be the next Tom Brady but in 2010 he was fairly average. His stats are average. He plays in the worst division in the NFL. He has only one win versus a team with a winning record. The Rams played one of the easier schedules in the NFL. But he's the man!

Meanwhile Fitz played at a very high level against murderous competition and did very well but he's "just a backup."

So how about being fair when comparing QB's instead of giving a knob job to very average QB's who happen to be #1 draft picks?

PTR

Any knowledgeable football fan who has watched Fitz perform this year couldn't help but be impressed. The fact that he took a no-name, sieve-like offensive line and a bunch of no-name receivers and has the Bills offense in the middle of the pack since week three is a fine accomplishment. I've always supported Fitz and I think he's still under-appreciated.

Any knowledgeable football fan who has watched Sam Bradford perform this year couldn't help but be impressed. He took over a team which won 1 game last year and hasn't been good in 7 years and has stabilized their offense. He toils behind an average offensive line and has anonymous receiving targets and yet never seems overwhelmed. He has great poise, pocket awareness, and accuracy. It looks obvious to me that Sam Bradford is going to be an elite quarterback.

I'm not exactly Henne's biggest fan... but his career stats are better than Fitzpatricks and Brohm can't even get playing time over Fitzpatrick or even Trent Edwards. Henne may suck, but it's pretty obvious that Brohm sucks more.

I think your analysis is way oversimplified.

For one thing, I have a very hard time believing that any quarterback in the NFL is worse than Chad Henne.

For another thing, just because Brohm hasn't seen the field much in his career doesn't automatically mean he's inferior to any quarterback who has started more games than him.

Totally subjective analysis. Fitz had flashes of brilliance too. Bradford got crushed by the mighty Detroit Lions 44-6. But Bradford gets all kinds of mulligans because he's a #1 pick.

K-Gun, if you are going to damn Fitzpatrick based on stats, then you have to compare apples to apples. Bradford had a worse year than Fitz, but Bradford is a #1 overall pick from a football factory and Fitz is a 7th round Harvard egghead. That is the ONLY reason why Bradford gets the love.

PTR

Forget about the stats…Promo. If you watched 3 or 4 of Sam Bradford's games, you would see what everyone else sees…a very promising young quarterback.

I find it interesting that Brian Brohm is the ONLY guy on this list not starting.

Here's a theoretical question: Is it possible for a backup quarterback to be better than someone else's starter? I think we all know the answer to that one.

We will see how Bradford pans out. He might be great or he may never do better than this year. But one thing is for sure: he will always get the benefit of the doubt because of where he was drafted.

PTR

Alex Smith…JaMarcus Russell. It's not because of where he was drafted…it's because of how he plays.

:lol: you still put credence in these silly ratings?

Do you have trouble with reading comprehension? Here are two of my direct quotes from earlier in this thread:

"I thought it would be fun to post ESPN's Quarterback draft grades for the last 4 years…looks to me like their QB grades are not terribly accurate as far as projecting who will do well in the NFL."

If you're going to try to participate in this discussion, do try to keep up. If you can't keep up, don't feel compelled to offer a comment…especially if it has zero value. I'd rather listen to a bad opinion than a pointless and inaccurate comment.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I was talking about him being slow mentally. He seems to freeze up and not be able to make decisions. When a blitzer comes screaming towards him he doesn’t jump to his hot route he just stands there with blank body language. That’s what I meant when he reacts and doesn’t anticipate. A great QB will anticipate a hole in the coverage and throws the ball before the hole exists. A great QB will see the blitzer coming before he actually starts his blitz and is already exploiting it. (A good example is that clip from last night they showed many times of Brees telling Bush exactly where the Blitz was coming from so Bush could pick it up) That’s what makes Brees/Brady/Manning great. Heck that’s why Fitz has played as well as he has this year (notice our much improved pass protection and blitz pick ups? – just like Brees/Bush). But 90% of QBs react, aka they see the hole in the D then throw it, or see the blitzer coming then try to exploit it – but many times its too late. Gabbert seems to be one of the slower ”reactors” I have seen this year, slower than Mallet and Locker. I was not impressed.

I am really looking forward to tonight’s game v Iowa and will be giving him, and all the other guys I have watched this year, another chance to win me over, but I simply don’t think he is quick enough in the head to succeed in the NFL.

I think I may owe Mr. Gabbert an apology. I only watched the first half last night because it was so late but he seemed to be making some very good pre-snap reads and knew where the open receiver was going to be before the ball was snapped. He still was a bit hesitant when things didn’t go as planned though, but much better last night than my previous assessment. Obviously he ahs all the height/weight/arm strength you could want. Accuracy is much better than Mallet and Locker combined but not elite. He is a good prospect if he passes the Buddy Chan mental intelligence evaluation.

Adrian Clayborne also looked much improved last night from previous games this season. Still not as good as Fairley but he could be a stud 2 gap 34 end.

I think I may owe Mr. Gabbert an apology. I only watched the first half last night because it was so late but he seemed to be making some very good pre-snap reads and knew where the open receiver was going to be before the ball was snapped. He still was a bit hesitant when things didn’t go as planned though, but much better last night than my previous assessment. Obviously he ahs all the height/weight/arm strength you could want. Accuracy is much better than Mallet and Locker combined but not elite. He is a good prospect if he passes the Buddy Chan mental intelligence evaluation.

Adrian Clayborne also looked much improved last night from previous games this season. Still not as good as Fairley but he could be a stud 2 gap 34 end.

Your initial assessment may not have been wrong. Having extra time to prepare for an opponent makes pre snap reads much easier.

Your initial assessment may not have been wrong. Having extra time to prepare for an opponent makes pre snap reads much easier.