How to build a good team?

Erik

he's easy to miss....but you forgot 400 lb Vince Wilfork....drafted 1st round in 2004 (21st overall). Ben Watson was selected 32nd overall.

that gave them Seymour(2001), Warren (2003) and Wilfork(2004) om the D Line. Light and Mankins on the O Line. (Also notice the premium placed at Tight End...Graham (2002), Watson (2004), Gronkowski (2010).

not sure the points your making......but my point is that with the exception of a franchise QB, you build a winner with LINEMAN & TIGHT ENDS......you do not waste high picks on RB's, WR's and DB's (which is why the bills are where they are).

he's easy to miss....but you forgot 400 lb Vince Wilfork....drafted 1st round in 2004 (21st overall). Ben Watson was selected 32nd overall.

that gave them Seymour(2001), Warren (2003) and Wilfork(2004) om the D Line. Light and Mankins on the O Line. (Also notice the premium placed at Tight End...Graham (2002), Watson (2004), Gronkowski (2010).

not sure the points your making......but my point is that with the exception of a franchise QB, you build a winner with LINEMAN & TIGHT ENDS......you do not waste high picks on RB's, WR's and DB's (which is why the bills are where they are).

This may be the first year you don't see a RB, WR and possibly DB drafted in the first 5 rounds.

in the past five years the Pats took a CB, LB, RB and S in the first round.

They took two LBs and a TE in the 2nd last year.

When they won the Super bowl in 2001, they had taken RBs with their top picks the previous three years,

When they won in 03 they had taken a WR the year before with their second pick,

when they won in 04 they took another WR with their second pick the year before AND a DB both in the 2nd round.

Its a whole bunch of nonsense this draft only lineman stuff. You dont get better by drafting players simply to fill needs. The pats are the pats because A) they have a guy named Brady and B) they find good value with their picks, not because they draft lineman.

Since 2000 the pats have picked in the 1st and 2nd rounds : 5 DL ; 3 OL ; 3 TE for a total of 11 lineman and TEs ......

they have also drafted 1 RB ; 6 DBs ; 3 LB ; 3 WR for a total of 13 skill guys.

So wheres the premium on lineman?? looks pretty balanced to me.

Edited by K Gun Special

This is how you draft:

2001: RD1 Richard Seymour RD2 Matt Light

2002: RD1 Daniel Graham RD2 Deion Branch

2003: RD1 Ty Warren (our pick) RD2 Eugene Wilson

2004: RD1 Benjamin Watson RD2 Marquise Hill

2005: RD1 Logan Mankins

2006: RD1 Laurence Maroney RD2 Chad Jackson

2007: RD1 Brandon Meriweather

Those are all of the drafts from when Bill Belichik took over up to their undefeated season. Notice that he solidified the lines first and then started to add the skill players behind them. Of course it helps getting one of the best QBs ever in Round 6 but that is neither here nor there. Also notice he hadn't taken an LB in the top two rounds in these years. He picked Mayo in the first round in 2008 but none before that. He prefers experienced LB's in his system. Draft the lines and try to plug the LB corps with some vets. I'd also try and bring in a vet TE that can make a difference in the passing game and draft one high in the next draft.

How do you just write off getting what may be the best QB ever as being "neither here nor there"? It's here there and everywhere! Also, there is nor recognizable pattern to the draft choices you listed, and not all those guys turned into anything special.

It hasn't been the positions of the players the Bills have drafted, it's that they have consistently picked guys that haven't been impact players.

Mesko... Probably one of the few players i like on that team.. Only because of his awesome name

Zoltan is good friends with my best friend and her family. After Michigan lost to App State I sent her sisters, who go to OSU, App State tshirts. Zoltan had come over and seem the shirt and had a good laugh. I've never met him, will probably never meet him but I like him. He was born in some other country and was a very good soccer player in HS in Twinsburg.