Bills need to become a bad weather team

billsintaiwan

First, you have to be good team period. There are good teams that fold in the cold, but I don't remember any bad Bills teams beating a much better team just because of the weather. At least not recently. I did go to the Cowboys game in '84 or some such when Greg Bell broke off his 80 yard TD run to start the game. We held on to win that game against a team we had no business beating due in large part to the evil weather. Still, you need to be generally good before being a good bad weather team. Maybe that's obvious.

Second, we need a group to stay together and go through the winter a couple times. Kelly and Reed might have been used to playing in bad weather, though Jimbo had a few years in Miami and Houston, but Thurman certainly wasn't. Our leading receiver went to school in Kentucky, Spiller went to Clemson, Nelson went to Florida, etc...They'll learn to play in this crap eventually, but they look as uncomfortable as the '81 Chargers in the cold right now. You learn by doing. If we make some FA pickups, I hope they come from teams that can play in this crap. It is something to keep in mind hen drafting. It's a damn good thing Aaron Rodegrs got to freeze for a couple years in Green bay before having to make plays. I wouldn't pass on a sure guy just because he is unaccustomed to bad weather, but I would count on him having a period of adjustment.

I do think we have something going. Today's game showed how far off we are from the beating the Patriots, not how far off we are from putting a playoff team together. It is little consolation to anyone that the Patriots did the same thing to the Jets and Bears, but you have to keep that in mind. Everyone knows we need more on D and a legit tackle. Fitz worried me today because he really doesn't look right in bad weather. I don't think Cam Newton is the answer. I'd give Fitz one more year to see how he progresses.

Fitz worried me today because he really doesn't look right in bad weather. I don't think Cam Newton is the answer. I'd give Fitz one more year to see how he progresses.

Fitz had a bad game today but I disagree that it was the weather. The man has played well in cold weather the last 2 years. I think him having to work with second string WRs and no pass protection had a lot more to do with it. Can you think of another cold weather game he has not done well in?

Fitz had a bad game today but I disagree that it was the weather. The man has played well in cold weather the last 2 years. I think him having to work with second string WRs and no pass protection had a lot more to do with it. Can you think of another cold weather game he has not done well in?

That's fair. I reckon Evans comes down with some of those shots down the sideline. He was definitely forcing things today, but he always forces things a bit and they usually work out. the fumbles were uncharacteristic. Like I said, I wouldn't take anyone in the draft over Fitz right now. Maybe Luck, I suppose, but that isn't happening. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt as far as cold weather capabilities go for now.