Top 10 draft prospects

people will go nuts when I say this, but I think in later rnds we need to pick up a CB, unless they pick up a FA CB.

McGee ain't lookin too good at this point, and after Corner I believe Youboty's the dimeback (minus McGee in lineup). Florence isn't exactly a spring chicken either.

I agree!! Not really feeling magee or corner! I still like youboty and imo think he is a better corner than reggie!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the bills should forget about the 3-4 and go to back to the 4-3 cover 2

My reasons

- I think that Bowers is a legit playmaking DE....there is a strong possibility he will be there when we pick....and he is a perfect fit for a 4-3 defense.

- My thinking also centers around our STUD undersized Kevin Williams.....he flat out is undersized in the 3-4 even though he does make plays.....in the 4-3 he doesn't have to take on double teams and would be even better

- My thinking also centers around Torrel Troup.....who looks to me like he is agile enough to be a DT in a 4-3 defense and could be an absolute beast against the run in that defense.....then if the bills decide they wont to go with a 3-4 look at times to confuse offenses he can play the true nose.

- Alex Carrington is also a extremely raw but absolute Beast

We still need the correct type of linebackers to play this scheme.....Im not sure Poz is the answer...we know Maybin is NOT the answer....and Im not thrilled with any of the others to be last line of defense if a runner gets past the 4 down linemen....

Oh yeah and this would put Byrd back into the defense that he excelled at....he was listed a PERFECT cover two safety coming out of the draft and he ended up being just that.....

DL Bowers, Troupe, Williams, Carrington

LB's....still to be named but easier to find.....that LB from the jets is looking AWFUL good....how about the OLB from the Chiefs?

Take Bowers with the first pick and best available RT with the 2nd.....then go heavy on linebackers

wow I am in total agreement with this- add a TE in FA like Kevin Boss and I probably start losing money on betting the Bills again.

I like Von Miller OLB from Texas A&M 6'3 243lbs 4.60 forty time

I would not be upset if the Bills drafted him and suprised he is not on that top 10 list.

I think the lack of LBs in the top 10 actually will dovetail with the reality that this Bills team is in need of multiple quality starters. This means since it really is only a bit better than 50/50 that we will get even 1 starter in the first year from the draft (though the conventional wisdom is that a first round pick should start by the end of his first year the cw is simply born out in reality as only slightly more than half the players in the years I looked at were first on their teams depth chart at the end of the season.

While it certainly is possible for a team to have multiple first year starters this is a rarity actually and the Bills really should not count on getting more than 1 starter from the draft.

Instead, this very young team is going to need some vet help anyway and its looks like LB may be the way the team gets better at the several positions it needs to improve.

The problem is the difference between Fairley & Bowers is splitting hairs.

So scheme is going to come in at some point.

Bowers would have to bulk to play 5 technique in 3-4 and is almost too big to be an everydown OLB.

Where Fairley isn't going to be an OLB but can be moved around the D-Line.

Both players are beastly, both are nasty and both would inject some much needed talent on the Defense.

But to your point, you don't pass on a naturally gifted football because of scheme.

My point is when you ARE splitting hairs because the players are so talented scheme is one of those hairs to split.

This is a good problem for the Bills to have because there is so much talent in this draft if the Bills get Fairely, Bowers or Really any of the guys listed by the OP the Bills will be in great shape.

Bruce Smith played more than 20 years ago.

The Refrigerator Perry was considered too big by Dikta when he was over 308. That would be a pip squeak now.

Dikta would encourage the 340 that he was estimated to play at.

The game gets Bigger & Faster every year.

Not to mention drying to compare college players to one the biggest, meanest, baddest freaks of nature of all time is not fair to Bruce Smith or the college kid.

So Carrington is too small to be a 3-4 DE? You must be smarter than Buddy. What's your magic size for a 34 DE coach?

You can find a DE like Bower any year. He's no Mario Williams and he's definately no Bruce Smith. Getting a shot at a smart, athletic and polished QB like Luck doesn't come every year for us.

Get with the program, obviously if somehow the Bills have #1 they take Luck, we're moving past that unlikely event.

What do the Bills do when they pick #5 and Luck is off of the board.

So Carrington is too small to be a 3-4 DE? You must be smarter than Buddy. What's your magic size for a 34 DE coach?

What is your point?

Bowers is smaller than Carrington.

Carringtpn was drafted at 285. Thats about as small a 3-4 DE as you ideally want.

Bowers is 275, and I said would need to bulk up to play 3-4 DE, a 3-4 DE is a bit of waste to draft so high.

Which is still true.

The idea of a 3-4 D-End is to be a space eater, run stuffer, and free up the LB

Again what is your point?

Edited by Why So Serious?

Bowers is smaller than Carrington.

Carrington was drafted at 285. Thats about as small a 3-4 DE as you ideally want.

Bowers is 275, and I said would need to bulk up to play 3-4 DE, which is a bit of wast to draft so how.

Which is still true.

The idea of a 3-4 D-End is to be a space eater, run stuffer, and free up the LB

Again what is your point?

I respect your opinion WSS, but I think you're being very dogmatic, or conventional in your thinking. By your general reasoning, Kyle Williams for instance, has no business playing effectively as an interior defensive lineman.

Heights and weights can be very misleading numbers.

My main earlier thrust was that you get great players and build schemes to fit them. But my secondary point was that there are great players of all shapes and sizes who defy conventional thinking. If you try fitting them into some established model, you're not going to always get the best result.

I know we're going around in circles now but I would never say that because someone weighs 275 pounds, that he is unfit to play DE in a 3-4. Not all 275 pounders are the same players. There's lots of guys in the NFL that transcend "prototype" size.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

You can find a DE like Bower any year. He's no Mario Williams and he's definately no Bruce Smith. Getting a shot at a smart, athletic and polished QB like Luck doesn't come every year for us.

Really? Guys with 16 sacks and his size don't come out every year. Nobody is comparing him to Bruce, and quite frankly, if he's half the player he is, we win.

Getting him would allow us to get bigger and still use the 4-3 where Kyle Williams is most dominant.

Kelsay-Troup-Williams-Bowers might prove to be pretty good. Carrington will only make that group better.

I respect your opinion WSS, but I think you're being very dogmatic, or conventional in your thinking. By your general reasoning, Kyle Williams for instance, has no business playing effectively as an interior defensive lineman.

Heights and weights can be very misleading numbers.

My main earlier thrust was that you get great players and build schemes to fit them. But my secondary point was that there are great players of all shapes and sizes who defy conventional thinking. If you try fitting them into some established model, you're not going to always get the best result.

That post wasn't in response to you, but since you bring it up Kyle Williams is a little short, with short arms put perfect weight for a 4-3 DT, which is what he has been playing extremely well. We're not in a 3-4 all the time so you can't call him a NT, when he goes to the pro bowl it ill be DT. They are putting the Rockpile at 0, 1, 2, and 3 technique. Bayou Bill has a super high motor and is a special player.

I don't disagree with the Utopian concept you're presenting.

The greater point, is you have to make real choices with the real people, that will really be in the draft.

When it comes down to making player personal decision, between Fairley and Bowers who are both beasts, scheme will have to come into the discussion at some point.

But to your point Scheme will not be the only thing that is considered.

If you draft Bowers, you're probably going to draft him with a Rush-Backer in 3-4 in mind, or a 4-3 DE.

If you draft Fairly to play 3-4 DE in may not be the best use of the draft pick you can get some other big body later in the draft and use the opportunity to draft a player for a position that is more difficult to fill.

Really? Guys with 16 sacks and his size don't come out every year. Nobody is comparing him to Bruce, and quite frankly, if he's half the player he is, we win.

Getting him would allow us to get bigger and still use the 4-3 where Kyle Williams is most dominant.

Kelsay-Troup-Williams-Bowers might prove to be pretty good. Carrington will only make that group better.

Exactly. To San Jose's point, Kyle is a special player and is better suited for a 4-3.

You put Kelsay Weakside (so he doesn't have to cover a TE), Fairley & Rockpile Kyle, and a DE (maybe Carrington, but with that line if you get someone that has a knack for pass rushing, you have a bad arsed line) It's going to take atleast the C and 2 Guards to block Bayou Bill and Fairley and they'd probably keep the RB in to block because one of those guys will beat a 1-1. That frees up 1 on 1 on the edge.

It makes so much more sense, then trying to waste Kyle at NT and "Waste" Fairley at DE in 3-4 especially when we have 0.5 good LBs to play LB on the 2010 roster.

However a player like Bowers is maybe Special, He may be one of the few players that can play with their hand down at DE and stand up some times at OLB. Which would help with the transition to 3-4 if thats what Chan & Edwards decide they still want to try to implement full time.

Edited by Why So Serious?