Easley

The good news is the Bills have Evans for 2 more years at $4M/year, Parrish for another year, Stevie for at least another year, and Jones and Nelson for at least 3 more years. So they have ample time to see how Jones, Nelson, and Easley develop, before investing more draft picks on WR's.

What I always wonder about guys like this, is they put him on IR which means we'll keep our rights to him. But are they allowed to help/coach him to get better once he's back at 100% with an eye on the future or isnt he even allowed inside the bills facilities untill otas start? And if they arent allowed do they run some kind of stealth program outside the Bills facilities to support guys like this?

I think they can attend team meetings (not sure though), but they can't practice. Unless, of course, if you're the Pats*. As I recall that was one of the many ways that they to cheated. They allowed IR'd players to practice. The advantage being that it gives the established starters rest during the week if you have extra bodies on the scout team, etc.

I think they can attend team meetings (not sure though), but they can't practice. Unless, of course, if you're the Pats*. As I recall that was one of the many ways that they to cheated. They allowed IR'd players to practice. The advantage being that it gives the established starters rest during the week if you have extra bodies on the scout team, etc.

"Everybody does it."

First, it's clear that you are no longer arguing your original point.

Second, I shouldn't have to spell it out to you, but I guess I have to. There is a big difference between giving a guy a contract extension mere weeks into a new regime, after planning to change the defensive scheme, after seeing the guy play abysmally in that scheme and be a gigantic liability, and giving a player a season to adapt and perform in a new system and making a decision that his production, age, and salary together with some growing depth at the position makes the player expendable.

Please continue to make up straw-men arguments though and try to put words in my mouth and spew nonsense. Those actions really bolster your reputation as a subject expert and logician.

PS: Weren't you one of those that claimed that there was no way that the Bills would be worse this year than last year? You must be pretty stoked to see the Bills run the table. When that happens, I'll have a smile on my face, but it won't be because you were right for once.

Life must suck for you.

I'm not sure how you managed to spin this into a personal argument, I was just making light of your comments. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Once a contentious curmudgeon, right?

But you definitely painted me into a corner there at the end and I humbly rescind AND regret any sliver of optimism I ever dared whisper before the logical, realist likes of you. I'm so dense, simple, and naive. Never will I understand football in the same historic and balanced context as a terrific fella like you. I can only aspire to your superiority. :worthy:

I was not comparing Dockery to Evans. I was comparing contract situations. You stated that the Bills would keep Evans in no uncertain terms, but the Bills have unequivocally shown that they can and will purge big contracts. Hate to break it to you but Evans isn't a superstar, All-Pro, nor even the centerpiece of this offense. It's not that hard to understand.

I think most of Evan's contract was guaranteed, so unless they trade him, I doubt he goes anywhere until that contract is up. Also, why do you want to get rid of the most established receiver ont he team when all we have behind him are basically unproven guys (yes, including Steve Johnson)? You're making it sound like we can trade Evans for a third and go to the Super Bowl next year. Good teams can afford to let fringe stars go, but we aren't there yet.

I refute the idea that Lee Evans has as big effect on Stevie's number as Lee Evans is given credit. However Lee Evans does have a positive effect, just not as big as the myth claims. It makes no sense to move Lee Evans early (unless someone offered a 1st or a player like James Harrison or Lamar Woodley which is not likely at all.)

Lee is relatively cheap, 3-4 mil going forward, and the offense is working. No Sense in creating a position of need that does not exist.

Is Lee a truly productive, #1 receiver; no. Is Lee a good WR; yes.

Lee Evans is a candidate for letting walk away after the contract expires.

In 2012 you draft a stud WR, and you let Lee Evans be motivated by upcoming Free Agency to put up big numbers and ride this hopefully to a 2012-2013 season playoff berth.

You get a year to work out the kinks with your 2012 draft pick then you let Lee go to whomever is the highest bidder, assuming you extend Stevie in the 2011 off season. If I were a GM that would be the strategy I would take at WR.

Easley, David Nelson, Jones & Roscoe can all fill in and complete for the slot/3rd/4th positions in 2011 camp. I think Chan likes Roscoe's "Water Bug" ability and knows how to use it, if Roscoe can stay healthy. However if the Chargers WR corps are any indication of Nix personal ability something tells me, he may take a WR in round 3-5 every year, just to see if any of them pan out. Worst case you add some special teamers, as Special Teams is made up in large part by depth WRs, TEs and LBs.

Evans and Kelsay are locker room guys and ever since the Bills signed Evans to a four-year, $37.25 million extension that included $18.25 million worth of guarantees, Evans has disappeared. Evans caught a career-low 44 passes for a career-low 612 yards last year with TO on the other side and now with Stevie, Lee hasn't exactly been tearing it up if you look at the amount of cash he's been paid out (34 receptions for 506 yards so far this year).

Evans and Kelsay are locker room guys and ever since the Bills signed Evans to a four-year, $37.25 million extension that included $18.25 million worth of guarantees, Evans has disappeared. Evans caught a career-low 44 passes for a career-low 612 yards last year with TO on the other side and now with Stevie, Lee hasn't exactly been tearing it up if you look at the amount of cash he's been paid out (34 receptions for 506 yards so far this year).

As I mentioned above, Evans has 2 more years at $4M/year (according to rotoworld.com). At that (small) amount, it's not worth getting rid of him. Let him play out the final 2 years, possibly (but doubtfully) trading him before the 2012 season.

Easley looked very good in camp, big picture he is the guy that will be paired with Steve Johnson going forward (assuming he develops as they hope he will). Evans will be on the roster only 1-2 more years (I think the Bills would gladly deal him in the offseason for a 3rd rounder, but no one will pay that). Easley's 6'3" 210lbs and can flat out run. If he can develop and David Nelson continues to progress the Bills could be looking at one of the NFL's best receiving corps in a couple of years. Gone are the days of the mighty midget lineup and constnatly trying to find a big receiver. They will have a starting three that are big and fast. As it stands already, I don't see it making any sense for the Bills to use any draft picks next year on WRs as they have some decent potential 6 deep right now. Johnson, Evans, Parrish, Easley, Nelson, Jones.

Given their mini logjam a WR I think it might even make sense to try to convert David Nelson to a TE. He's big as it is and would seem to have the frame to add more weight. If Easley looks good and healthy next year in minicamps I think the Chan gang should consider this option as the current TEs are wreched.

Good assessment! I graduated from UConn this year and was ecstatic that the Bills drafted him. He really is a beast, and the best part is he was a walk on I believe, which shows he is a very hard worker.

Well, let's keep this in perspective.

The Bills also spent a 2nd round pick on James Hardy, and we know how that turned out.

I was lovin' this thread until you mentioned James Hardy :bag:

The guy has still NOT hooked up with any other teams. 41st player taken in the 2008 draft.. :oops:

I was lovin' this thread until you mentioned James Hardy :bag:

The guy has still NOT hooked up with any other teams. 41st player taken in the 2008 draft.. :oops:

It is soothing to know that Malcolm Kelly didn't work out either, which was the WR that I thought the Bills should have taken.

He went on IR instead of being cut before Week1.

Devin Thomas went in that round too and never panned out, but DeSean Jackson did.