Fun with statistics...

Dorkington

I don't know about anyone else here, but I love looking at numbers.

Sometimes, they are meaningful, sometimes they aren't... but still, fun to look at.

Here are Fitzpatrick's splits for this season:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/splits?playerId=8664

-----

Notes:

- He performs better on the road, than at home so far.

- He performs worse in close games, than games that are "blown out"

- He performs pretty well in the last two minutes of a half

- He plays better outdoors vs indoors

- He plays much better vs the AFC than the NFC

- He plays worse in the second half vs the first half

- He plays best in the 2nd quarter... followed by 4th, 1st, 3rd (all close/consistent)

- He starts off slow, performing average for the first 10 attempts, then attempts 11-30 he blows up... but then he peaks and plays poorly after 30 attempts

- He performs very very well on 1st, 3rd and 4th downs, and very poorly on 2nd downs

- He's oddly more reliable to get a first down on 3rd and med/long vs 3rd and short

- He performs well when we are up, or when we are down... but poor when we are tied

- He plays well from behind

- He passes best to the side lines, and worst over the middle

- He is most accurate to the left sideline

- He is most accurate short, and not very accurate from 21+ yards, but has his highest rating on deep balls (because of rating bias, of course)

- He performs very well in the enemy's territory, especially in the red zone.

Overall, I really like the way he is playing this year. He has blossomed, and I hope he continues to.

--------------

Now before anyone throws bricks at me...

Stats DO NOT always tell the full story. For example, there is significantly less data for him playing indoors than outdoors, so that could be inaccurate. Same goes for some of the other stats. Still... fun.

Sometimes, they are meaningful, sometimes they aren't... but still, fun to look at.

-----

Notes:

- He plays best in the 2nd quarter... followed by 4th, 1st, 3rd (all close/consistent)

- He starts off slow, performing average for the first 10 attempts, then attempts 11-30 he blows up... but then he peaks and plays poorly after 30 attempts

- He performs very very well on 1st, 3rd and 4th downs, and very poorly on 2nd downs

- He's oddly more reliable to get a first down on 3rd and med/long vs 3rd and short

- He performs well when we are up, or when we are down... but poor when we are tied

- He is most accurate short, and not very accurate from 21+ yards, but has his highest rating on deep balls (because of rating bias, of course)

Overall, I really like the way he is playing this year. He has blossomed, and I hope he continues to.

--------------

Stats DO NOT always tell the full story. For example, there is significantly less data for him playing indoors than outdoors, so that could be inaccurate. Same goes for some of the other stats. Still... fun.

DORK!

mmmm delicious delicious numbers! Thanks for the link.

I'm somewhat surprised by his low completion percentage on passes behind the line (65.9%). Having a QB rating of 116.7 in the redzone is wow worthy.

Keep in mind... you're more likely to score a TD in the redzone... and TD's effect QB rating greatly. ;)

At this very moment, I think he should be the starter next year... but I also don't think his seat is very cemented. (ie, lets play the year out and look again, and also still consider a decent QB in the draft/FA, but not make it a priority as it stands right now)

This is the third season he has started more than a couple games. It's also the third year in a row he's had to learn a new offense. He's doing pretty well considering the situation.

-----

Notes:

--------------

The sample size is too small to draw any conclusions. Interesting though.