A Few Thoughts About The Game

Bill from NYC

First off, Rian Lindell is the least of the Bills problems, IMO, and in a 2-8 campaign you can "ride out" his slump. I am really starting to believe this team could build around Fitzpatrick, and getting front seven defensive stoppers in the offseason is priority #1. I'd allocate free agency acquisitions and follow that up with the draft being defensive heavy! In regards to Chan Gailey and his staff, the improvements across the board are real, and bode well for 2011 and beyond. This arguably is not too bad for a bargain basement coach, is it?? I actually am in the mode of loving every weekend again, and this alone is the fun one can derive from an up and coming outfit. It is undoubtedly a good time to be a Bills fan again. This is a scrappy, overachieving bunch, and I can support that 100%, now and in the future.

This.

I was on the bandwagon a few weeks ago to consider whether or not the DC should be replaced, but like Gailey, we have to give this staff some time. If the players start to get it and show enough improvement (read: putting up a whale of an effort against the elite teams they play...NE, Pit, NYJ), then we can consider keeping Edwards around.

When you're unit is improving, THAT'S when you want the continuity in the coaching staff. If the defense takes steps backwards and gets rolled by those elite teams, then they may want to think about bringing in someone else to run the show.

I've learned in my years of following football that when a team brings in a new coaching staff it usually takes at least half a season for the players to get comfortable with the offensive and defensive schemes so they can not think so much and "play fast." Usually the defense tends to settle in a couple games before the midway point and the offense a couple games after the midway point, but if you've got an experienced O-line, or a QB like Fitz who can help determine assignments it helps the process. When you've got a defensive coordinator who doesn't settle on a scheme until a few weeks into the season, well, that's where the Bills D is now.

Win or lose (but hopefully wins) it should be fun watching the talent develop on this "talentless" roster.