"The Sal Giunta Story"

Andy Rooney

This is an amazing story.

Logan asked Giunta whether he ever woke up wondering "What the hell am I doing here?" That was his first thought every single morning, he told Logan: "We know what we're doing there, but: What the hell are we doing here?"

I would love for him to ask this to Congress, to the President, to the DoD. Who better to ask this than him?

Cannot edit the last post, but will add that I have not been able to get it out of my head...I had never seen all of the video. When they ask him, "What went through your head when you heard that you were going to be up for a Medal of Honor?" His response, "F you. I said it's not something... It sounds great in theory, it sounds really awesome in theory, but, it's not...I mean, what's it worth? Brennan? Mendoza? No. Is it worth it? No." "I didn't do sht." This puts it in perspective. Us chumps are honoring this guy who did what he is supposed to and all of us would or have never done, save for the vets in this country. This guy makes me want to punch myself in the balls for not being half of what he is.

• 2 months later...

Has anybody ever seen Restrepo? It was a movie that came out last summer about the fighting in the Korengal Valley in Afghanistan during 2007. Sal Guinta was in one of the platoons in this valley. The documentary follows 2nd platoon from their deployment into the valley to the day that they leave. It's an eye opening movie and really hits you emotionally. I recommend it to anyone, it will really make you think about what this war is all about and how it's being fought. It's on Netflix OD for you instant queue folk.

I looked up the actual citation. That article is garbage - it doesn't do Giunta justice.

After seeing that documentary, Restrepo, (although Giunta was not in it) I can't see how an article can do it justice. Operation Rock Avalanche was pretty intense, especially when they got ambushed from all angles taking heavy enemy fire within a football fields distance.

After seeing that documentary, Restrepo, (although Giunta was not in it) I can't see how an article can do it justice. Operation Rock Avalanche was pretty intense, especially when they got ambushed from all angles taking heavy enemy fire within a football fields distance.

Those guys have balls. Guys like him and Dick Winters, and the sacrifices they make are astounding, and through all of the hoopla they stay grounded and humble. Major kudos to them.

Those guys have balls. Guys like him and Dick Winters, and the sacrifices they make are astounding, and through all of the hoopla they stay grounded and humble. Major kudos to them.

I agree completely. These are the guys that make America what it is today. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Has anybody ever seen Restrepo? It was a movie that came out last summer about the fighting in the Korengal Valley in Afghanistan during 2007. Sal Guinta was in one of the platoons in this valley. The documentary follows 2nd platoon from their deployment into the valley to the day that they leave. It's an eye opening movie and really hits you emotionally. I recommend it to anyone, it will really make you think about what this war is all about and how it's being fought. It's on Netflix OD for you instant queue folk.

I doubt that I'll end up watching this. I got The Wire for Christmas and am making my way through that and The Pacific.

What I'm wondering about is what do they say about what this war is all about and how it's being fought?

I doubt that I'll end up watching this. I got The Wire for Christmas and am making my way through that and The Pacific.

What I'm wondering about is what do they say about what this war is all about and how it's being fought?

I asked a couple soldiers current and former about how the war is being handled. One didn't say much, and one said get the politics out of it and let the fighting men "conduct" a war.

I asked a couple soldiers current and former about how the war is being handled. One didn't say much, and one said get the politics out of it and let the fighting men "conduct" a war.

That works really well when you're fighting a war.

Not so much in an occupation.

I think you would hear that from the soldiers of any war. At least any since WWII and probably even then.

What I'm more curious about is what conclusion Wooderson got about what the makers of the movie were saying when he said this "it will really make you think about what this war is all about." I'm not taking a side on it. I just want to more educated on what is all about.

I think you would hear that from the soldiers of any war. At least any since WWII and probably even then.

What I'm more curious about is what conclusion Wooderson got about what the makers of the movie were saying when he said this "it will really make you think about what this war is all about." I'm not taking a side on it. I just want to more educated on what is all about.

Well, just from what you see on TV and media you really don't understand what's really going on over there. You hear about bombings of hills and mountains but you never really get a first hand look at how the war is being fought. It seemed to be a stalemate in this region for some time before the 2nd platoon entered the area and the documentary began. I guess I just never really understood how modern wars have been fought but after the documentary you get a decent look at how things work over there, how the soldiers feel about what they're doing, and their interaction with the civilians in the area. The captain engages in a sit-down every so often with the elders of the villages from the area and tries to create some peace and some support for what they're trying to do. The captain is not a negotiator or mediator, he's a soldier and he responds as a soldier would to the questions/comments that the elders have...which seems to create some tension and hostility. I was basically saying it was an interesting movie and it opened my eyes to the way things really are over there.

Well, just from what you see on TV and media you really don't understand what's really going on over there. You hear about bombings of hills and mountains but you never really get a first hand look at how the war is being fought. It seemed to be a stalemate in this region for some time before the 2nd platoon entered the area and the documentary began. I guess I just never really understood how modern wars have been fought but after the documentary you get a decent look at how things work over there, how the soldiers feel about what they're doing, and their interaction with the civilians in the area. The captain engages in a sit-down every so often with the elders of the villages from the area and tries to create some peace and some support for what they're trying to do. The captain is not a negotiator or mediator, he's a soldier and he responds as a soldier would to the questions/comments that the elders have...which seems to create some tension and hostility. I was basically saying it was an interesting movie and it opened my eyes to the way things really are over there.

Now I may have to get it and put The Wire, etc. on hold. That sounds really interesting....I thought you had meant that there was some other reason we were really fighting the war, than trying to go after Al Queda, so I was wondering what that was.

But, what you described sounds like something I'd really like to see.