Christmas Football

Mediaman

Should the players/coaches have a bye week to spend with family and friends during the holidays  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Should the players/coaches have a bye week to spend with family and friends during the holidays

• Yes
    • No

Ah ok, that's somewhat better.  I know the CVS is opened but the supermarket is closed.  I remember the diner was our meeting place after the holiday traditions were over with in the evening.  Nothing like a twin burger deluxe and chocolate milk shake after a full day of eating....man to be 17 again.

154001[/snapback]

:D:doh::lol::lol:

Actually, when I lived in Buffalo, a group of us used to get together and, surprise surpise, went bowling Christmas night then out to a bar. I don't think anything should be open until at least 4pm on Christmas Day. I know of a supermarket here in Orlando that is open on a limited basis Christmas which is just ridiculous.

Still though, the Labor day non football has me really irked. That was one day/weekend that I looked forward to every year for football. I used to love flying back to Buffalo for a home opener that weekend.

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: NFL/TV Executives for stealing that holy weekend from us football fans!!!

:D  :doh:    :lol:    :lol:

Actually, when I lived in Buffalo, a group of us used to get together and, surprise surpise, went bowling Christmas night then out to a bar. I don't think anything should be open until at least 4pm on Christmas Day. I know of a supermarket here in Orlando that is open on a limited basis Christmas which is just ridiculous.

Still though, the Labor day non football has me really irked. That was one day/weekend that I looked forward to every year for football. I used to love flying back to Buffalo for a home opener that weekend.

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain:  NFL/TV Executives for stealing that holy weekend from us football fans!!!

154015[/snapback]

Part of me would like the season to start later. Sometimes its just to hot to be playing or watching these games. I dread February when the pro bowl is over and there is nothing on. I don't like basketball or nascar.

As someone who's had to travel around the holiday, I'm glad there are businesses open.  Nothing better than being in a hotel with nothing to eat except stale peanuts from the damn vending machine.

Christmas is nothing more than a giant commercial orgy anyway.  Society lost sight of the meaning of it long ago.

154005[/snapback]

I couldn't agree with you more, but now that I have kids, its something special again to see them open gifts and believe in Santa. Me and the wife have agreed not to exchange gifts and to just go out on the town one night. I've also made a deal with some of our friends that we don't exchange gifts for us or the kids but to get together and have a some good food and enjoy the company.

I couldn't agree with you more, but now that I have kids, its something special again to see them open gifts and believe in Santa.  Me and the wife have agreed not to exchange gifts and to just go out on the town one night.  I've also made a deal with some of our friends that we don't exchange gifts for us or the kids but to get together and have a some good food and enjoy the company.

154025[/snapback]

No doubt it's special when the kids are small. Once they stop believing in Santa, it loses something big time.

It all changed for me when a couple of middle aged women started swinging at each other over some stupid fuggin' toy in a Silicon Valley store about 10 years ago. Was the first of many times I wished I were Judge Dredd. :D

No doubt it's special when the kids are small.  Once they stop believing in Santa, it loses something big time.

It all changed for me when a couple of middle aged women started swinging at each other over some stupid fuggin' toy in a Silicon Valley store about 10 years ago.  Was the first of many times I wished I were Judge Dredd.  :D

154030[/snapback]

Or on Black friday you see the dolts lined up at 5:00am at the walmart.....omg get a life. I rather wait in line for the new Babylon 5 movie.

No doubt it's special when the kids are small.  Once they stop believing in Santa, it loses something big time.

It all changed for me when a couple of middle aged women started swinging at each other over some stupid fuggin' toy in a Silicon Valley store about 10 years ago.  Was the first of many times I wished I were Judge Dredd.  :D

154030[/snapback]

Well, my sisters and I are all grown, but Christmas day will always be special. The days leading up with the commercialization and fighting over a $20 toy is ridiculous of course, but you allow that to ruin Christmas?? Jeez man...

I mean, XMas day with the whole family is sweet with or without little kids around. It got even better after my cousin had her girls, but no matter what time with the family is what life is all about.

Well, my sisters and I are all grown, but Christmas day will always be special. The days leading up with the commercialization and fighting over a $20 toy is ridiculous of course, but you allow that to ruin Christmas?? Jeez man...

I mean, XMas day with the whole family is sweet with or without little kids around. It got even better after my cousin had her girls, but no matter what time with the family is what life is all about.

154102[/snapback]

It's not so much the day, as the lead up to it. Don't miss the point.

Point: Some relatives decided they wanted to start exchanging gifts with us. We told them they should take whatever money they were planning on spending on us and send it to AnySoldier instead. They told us the didn't want to do that. Not because they are against the military or anything - but because it's not the spirit of Christmas.

Uh, OK.

It's not so much the day, as the lead up to it.  Don't miss the point.

Point:  Some relatives decided they wanted to start exchanging gifts with us.  We told them they should take whatever money they were planning on spending on us and send it to AnySoldier instead.  They told us the didn't want to do that.  Not because they are against the military or anything - but because it's not the spirit of Christmas.

Uh, OK.

154109[/snapback]

Well, you didn't mention that story... But either way, its a family holiday. Supporting the troops should be done more than just on that day, even though its often not. I would have no problem sending money to the troops, like with anysoldier.com. But, can't we have both? It would be tough explaining to my neices that I didn't buy presents because the troops needed something instead. But your point is the adults, Im sure. Anyway, we decided this year (as there is normally 16 of us on XMas together) to just pick out of a hat. You only have to buy for one person. That makes it easier. But yes, its nobel to think of the troops all the time, but this one day, young or old, should be about family. And yes, i do get YOUR point, but no matter what's going on in the outside world, we need this day.

Well, you didn't mention that story... But either way, its a family holiday. Supporting the troops should be done more than just on that day, even though its often not. I would have no problem sending money to the troops, like with anysoldier.com.  But, can't we have both? It would be tough explaining to my neices that I didn't buy presents because the troops needed something instead. But your point is the adults, Im sure. Anyway, we decided this year (as there is normally 16 of us on XMas together) to just pick out of a hat. You only have to buy for one person. That makes it easier. But yes, its nobel to think of the troops all the time, but this one day, young or old, should be about family. And yes, i do get YOUR point, but no matter what's going on in the outside world, we need this day.

154116[/snapback]

Clarification: When they asked us what we wanted, we asked them to take the money for whatever gift they were going to buy us and donate it to Any Soldier. We don't need anything. If it's something we want, we buy it for ourselves and don't need a holiday for an excuse. Obviously not everyone has that luxury.

I didn't say we weren't going to buy them a gift, quite the contrary. We just don't want anything for ourselves. According to them, that's not the spirit of Christmas. :D

My house will be filled with people. It is every holiday.

Christmas is based on the old Scandinavian holiday of Yule. During Yule, extended families would get together for days of feasting. The celebration would begin when the thickest log anyone could find was thrown on the fire. This log--called the Yule log--would normally take about twelve days to burn. Because the celebration would last about twelve days, there were the twelve days of Christmas. The Scandinavians would decorate pine trees to celebrate the holiday.

I like this Yule style of Christmas better than our overcommercialized way of celebrating. Giving gifts to kids is fine because they always want toys. Giving gifts to soldiers or the poor makes sense as well. But most adults already buy the things they need, so this holiday causes their homes to become cluttered with the things they received as gifts.