Ruben Brown

jscap

I was lucky enough to have a few drinks with Ruben last year and he was one of the coolest, down to earth athletes i've ever met. After playing in Chicago he returned to Buffalo and maintains a residence here and it goes to show that WNY isn't such a bad place to live after all. For all the national ridicule this area takes, be it weather, or theres nothing to do, or it's just not "hip" enough for todays athlete, it's nice when former players embrace the area and make it a home. I get sick of hearing that Buffalo is a terrible place to play, and not because of the record but because people think this is just a terrible place to live. Ok i'm done with my rant. Congrats Ruben, Go Bills, Go Buffalo

I was lucky enough to have a few drinks with Ruben last year and he was one of the coolest, down to earth athletes i've ever met. After playing in Chicago he returned to Buffalo and maintains a residence here and it goes to show that WNY isn't such a bad place to live after all. For all the national ridicule this area takes, be it weather, or theres nothing to do, or it's just not "hip" enough for todays athlete, it's nice when former players embrace the area and make it a home. I get sick of hearing that Buffalo is a terrible place to play, and not because of the record but because people think this is just a terrible place to live. Ok i'm done with my rant. Congrats Ruben, Go Bills, Go Buffalo

What brand tequila did you drink with R.B.?

I always liked Ruben Brown. Hard to forget how so many Bills fans always fingered him as one of the culprits for the Bills problems, back in his days with the Bills. I would kill for a Bills O-linemen who was as "overrated" as Brown.

As for his re-locating to Buffalo...I think is cool too. In the recent post about Eric Moulds, many were happy to learn that he, too, lives in Buffalo half the year. Honestly, think it has anything to do with the fact that the name Ruben Brown, Eric Moulds, or, even Jim Kelly means a lot more in WNY, than it would somewhere else? These guys don't have to remind everyone in Buffalo who they are...it is already known.

That's what I've always thought. Like Thurman Thomas returning to Buffalo from Florida; in Florida, he's just some lesser-known former pro athlete. In Buffalo, he's the Thurmanator: should-have-been MVP of Super Bowl XXV!

I always liked Ruben Brown. Hard to forget how so many Bills fans always fingered him as one of the culprits for the Bills problems, back in his days with the Bills. I would kill for a Bills O-linemen who was as "overrated" as Brown.

As for his re-locating to Buffalo...I think is cool too. In the recent post about Eric Moulds, many were happy to learn that he, too, lives in Buffalo half the year. Honestly, think it has anything to do with the fact that the name Ruben Brown, Eric Moulds, or, even Jim Kelly means a lot more in WNY, than it would somewhere else? These guys don't have to remind everyone in Buffalo who they are...it is already known.

He always was a solid guy for the community. I met him several times when he used his fame and notariety to support transplant donation for the local group working on that issue. I also remember running into him at an annual dinner honoring 30 or so high school kids in the City of Buffalo who had graduated with support of local programs and now for the most part were headed off to colleges.

He also ran a motorcycle rally as he drove a big hog that attracted national participation by athletes across the country who were into motorcycles which raised money for charitable causes.

For all the grief he was given publicly about whether he deserved a player his consistent making the Pro Bowl, (he certainly did not deserve to be sited as the best in this popularity contest every year IMHO)he a;ways seemed to have his priorities straight as to what was really important.