"Bad ol' Bills"

I live in a suburb of Raleigh, NC where there are a fair number of transplants. The town I live in, Cary, is jokingly referred to as "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees". This is more of a college sports area besides hockey. Raleigh in the home of the NHL Hurricanes. The NFL Panthers are 3 hours away to the west in Charlotte and the Redskins/Ravens 3+ hours to the north so you see people show a lot of hometown loyalty. The locals here do not even want to attend hockey games when the 'Canes play the Sabres because the Sabres fans outnumber the 'Canes fans and let's just say they are not used to the "positive passion" displayed by the Sabres fans.

I have enjoyed a fairly close relationship with the Bills over the years after growing up in New York and attending college there. I see a lot of Bills license plate covers, bumper stickers, jerseys, etc. It usually puts a smile on my face to see such things but today a lady walked in to the coffee shop I frequent with a cartoonish sweatshirt on that read "Bad ol' Bills". Has it rally come to this...again? It's almost a cry for sympathy. The Bills brand was once so highly valued and recognized around the world that they garnered NFL sponsored trips to London and Germany. At what point did that pride turn to pity? It IS all about marketing but it's hard to market behind losses.

Well, at least Buffalo and Rochester made the top five of best cities in America to live in!

Not slamming the buf, and I could see a suburb ranking well maybe, but Buffalo itself has relatively high crime, high unemployment, low median income, poor schools/test scores, etc. I think low property value would be one of the few pluses. The city is in tough shape and a lot of places have more going on. What ranking was this?

add: thanks for the link. I am surprised, but good for the Buf gtting good press.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

The Bills have always had the rep of being an inferior franchise. Even when we were a Super Bowl team the media still sniped at us.

PTR

That's not the way I remember it. The Bills of the Polian era were considered one of the model franchises. Actually, at that time the franchises that were considered inept were the Colts and the Patriots.