(OT) So Where IS This Untaxed Paradise ?

Mark VI

Where are the good wings??? Other than Blinco's I haven't found any decent wings around here.

153627[/snapback]

Buffalo Brother Pizza & Wing Company

590 E CHATHAM ST STE 102

CARY, NC

PHONE (919)380-8388

Guess where the owners are from?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are the good wings??? Other than Blinco's I haven't found any decent wings around here.

153627[/snapback]

Buffalo Brother's on Capital Blvd. has pretty good wings...not Duff's, Anchor Bar or the Bar-Bil quality, but quite tasty. Brooklyn Sal's pizza at Brier Creek has been a recent find for thin crust pizza too...

OK. New York State is a tax happy hell hole to live.

How much better is it where you live ? Taxes ? Crime ? Housing Costs ? Population ? Good people ? Schools ? Weather ? Economy ? Yada yada yada...

Ejamacate me on this " Paradise " you folks live in. I may move in a few years and would like to know where Paradise is located ?

153203[/snapback]

Hey Mark, I live in Florida, Orlando to be exact and still have family in the Buffalo area. I wouldn't classify Florida or Orlando as paradise by any means but the tax burden is much much much less than it is in Buffalo. You have probably read that there is no state income tax which is a nice benefit to living here. The property tax, in the surrounding suburbs of Orlando is roughly equated to 1% of the value of your house. If you buy a $100,000 house, which is about the minimum around here, your property/school taxes will be roughly $1,000. A 1K house will get you the basic 3/2 with attached garage on a 1/4 to 1/2 acre lot and about 1250-1400 square feet. 2K will get you roughly a 4/2 or 4/2, 1/2 acre or larger lot and about 2000-2500 square feet. Florida isn't paradise in general but if you research schools, cost of living and basic incomes, it's probably not to far off. The Seminole County area of Central Florida have some of the better schools in the state and taxes are slighty higher than the norm but nowhere near what NYS or Erie County rapes you for. I hope that helps.

No, everytime I'm in WNy i pay taxes on groceries.

153296[/snapback]

It should depend on what type of groceries you are buying. Foods that need to be prepared, ie fruits, veggies, meat, are not taxed. Foods that are ready to eat, or contain sugar are sometimes taxed.

I am currently a junior in college studying elementary education, and I am one of the few who is going to make an attempt to get a job and raise a family here.

Probably about 70% of the people in my major say, "I'm moving to florida or the carolinas to teach to get out of this city."

I say screw that. I was born and raised here and there is nowhere else I'd rather live. Ya the economy isnt doing so well but the people are great and I want to raise a family in this area and send my boys to st. francis like me.

Permitting i get a solid job, I will be here for the rest of my life.

153587[/snapback]

Good for you rolly.

I left Bflo in 1978. And I miss it. Great people. A da*n bar fly in Buffalo has more understanding of the world, basic courtesy and manners, and brains than half the folks here.

And believe me, great food - you realize that when you leave!

Good for you rolly. I left Bflo in 1978. And I miss it. Great people. And believe me, great food!

153768[/snapback]

And that's about it stuck. I do miss most of the people of Buffalo, probably except the "stuck in their ways" folk that have a coronary every time the word "change" is mentioned. They are the ones that will still refer to the "other day" as a time back in 1942 when things were actually prosperous in the area. I really miss the food in Buffalo too. I was talking to someone here in Orlando yesterday that is in the process of moving down from Kalamazoo, MI and they were asking how things are here. I told them that if there is anything like pizza that they really liked from up there, to bring some back with them because they won't find it here.

I have to give rolly some credit for trying to stay there and make it work, you're one of the few that is willing to sacrafice a better standard of living for staying home. I left in 1996 and have vowed to NEVER move back to Buffalo or NYS. It's a nice place to visit for a weekend football game but you couldn't pay me enough to live there again.

Well, PA is its own hell, but at least there's no sales tax on food and clothing.

153211[/snapback]

Give it time, that will change. You think PA can keep up the costs of Tubby Rendell's grandiose buffets???

Actually, PA school taxes are going through the roof. In the limited growth areas of the state, aka Sus Q Valley as an example here.

OK. New York State is a tax happy hell hole to live.

How much better is it where you live ? Taxes ? Crime ? Housing Costs ? Population ? Good people ? Schools ? Weather ? Economy ? Yada yada yada...

Ejamacate me on this " Paradise " you folks live in. I may move in a few years and would like to know where Paradise is located ?

153203[/snapback]

This thread misses the whole point of the 1% sales tax hike. Yes, as consumers, and extra penny is not that big a hit...and yes, WNY is a great place to live.

The problem is, each time taxes go up, it sends BUSINESSES packing to other states, and even other countries. New York's tax structure/government service delivery levels have always been based on fleecing the business community to pay for all of the great amenities (libraries, parks, schools etc.) that everyone here is mentioning.

The problem is, when all of businesses that have the ability to move are gone (i.e., Bethlehem Steel, Eastman Kodak, Corning, IBM....), who is going to pick up the tab for these services??? Gee, do ya think there might be a reason why Buffalo's job growth is the slowest in the nation?

The 1% tax hike is just a short-term fix that is driving another nail in the Buffalo / upstate NY coffin. :D

This thread misses the whole point of the 1% sales tax hike.  Yes, as consumers, and extra penny is not that big a hit...and yes, WNY is a great place to live.

The problem is, each time taxes go up, it sends BUSINESSES packing to other states, and even other countries.  New York's tax structure/government service delivery levels have always been based on fleecing the business community to pay for all of the great amenities (libraries, parks, schools etc.) that everyone here is mentioning. 

The problem is, when all of businesses that have the ability to move are gone (i.e., Bethlehem Steel, Eastman Kodak, Corning, IBM....), who is going to pick up the tab for these services???  Gee, do ya think there might be a reason why Buffalo's job growth is the slowest in the nation?

The 1% tax hike is just a short-term fix that is driving another nail in the Buffalo / upstate NY coffin.    :D

153864[/snapback]

You better put all those retirees living off the dole back to work. That's an untapped source of labor in upstate NY.

:lol::doh:

Yeah, right.  Try Alabama or Mississippi.  Low taxes.  Lousy schools.  Lousy services. Low life expectancy.

Taxes are the price you pay for a civilized society.

This probably ought to be moved to the politics board, so we can ignore it better.

153419[/snapback]

Your perspective, heres mine. Moved to Alabama in 1984 from Depew, NY with a job transfer. Purchased four bedroom ranch home on one acre in the city limits for $37,000 (Current appraised value $100.000) Current year property taxes are $200. Sales tax is 9.5% (on food also) We have full services and they are not lousy.

Raised four kids here. All attended public schools. Three are college educated.

Toyota, Mercedes, Hyundai, And Honda all built manufacturing plants here since 1990. Honda has gone on record to say the Alabama trainees were the best they have had in North America. No, we are not low paid. I make $23.20 / hr after two years at Honda.

Add in friendly folks who always make you feel welcome and a pretty fair climate and this really isn't such a bad place to live.

Your perspective, heres mine. Moved to Alabama in 1984 from Depew, NY with a job transfer. Purchased four bedroom ranch home on one acre in the city limits for $37,000 (Current appraised value $100.000) Current year property taxes are $200. Sales tax is 9.5% (on food also) We have full services and they are not lousy.

Toyota, Mercedes, Hyundai, And Honda all built manufacturing plants here since 1990. Honda has gone on record to say the Alabama trainees were the best they have had in North America. No, we are not low paid. I make $23.20 / hr after two years at Honda.

Add in friendly folks who always make you feel welcome and a pretty fair climate and this really isn't such a bad place to live.

154227[/snapback]

Damn you, Damn you, quit making sense. You'll hurt his head. :blink:

Congrats to you and yours. :blink:

154227[/snapback]

Thank you. You'll hear no argument from me. Savannah, Georgia is where I call home. I miss the South. I live in Virginia, it's closer, but it's not the South.