Today is December 9

Campy

These people:

1912 Thomas P "Tip" O'Neill (Representative-D-MA 1977-86)/Speaker of the House

1918 Kirk Douglas [issur Demsky] actor (Gunfight at the OK Corral, 7 Days in May)

1922 Redd Foxx St Louis MO, comedian (Sanford & Son, Redd Foxx Show)

1928 Dick Van Patten Queens NY, actor (Tom Bradford-8 is Enough)

1930 Buck Henry New York NY, screenwriter/comedian (Saturday Night Live, Get Smart)

1934 Dame Judi Dench York England, British stage & film actress (As Time Goes By, Goldeneye-"M", Her Majesty Mrs Brown-Queen Victoria)

1938 (David) Deacon Jones NFL defensive end (Los Angeles Rams, San Diego Chargers, Washington Redskins)

1941 Beau Bridges Los Angeles CA, actor (Hotel New Hampshire, 5th Musketeer)

1942 Dick Butkus Chicago IL, NFL hall of fame linebacker (Bears)/sportscaster

1953 (Loyd) World B. Free NBA guard (Philadelphia 76ers, Cleveland Cavaliers, Golden State Warriors)

1971 Petr Nedved Libercec Czechoslovakia, NHL center (Team Czechoslovakia, Pittsburgh Penguins, NY Rangers, Edmonton Oilers, Phoenix Coyotes)

Wow, Deacon Jones AND Dick Butkus. My 2 favorite Defensive players ever.

153002[/snapback]

Wow, Issur Demsky. Father in law to one of my two favorite women ever.

Two of the best of all time.  Still, they're runnerups to my all time favorite player, whose birthday is not until September 24th.

153046[/snapback]

Jim Henson?

Wow, Deacon Jones AND Dick Butkus. My 2 favorite Defensive players ever.

153002[/snapback]

I had the opportunity to sit with Deacon at one of the Bruce Smith Celebrity Golf Tournaments (our Backers club were event volunteers for many years).

He was blown away that someone of my relative "youth" had even heard of him, much less recognized him. I explained that he was my dad's favorite player, and related some stories about him that dad had shared. Needless to say, I had a friend for the evening!

Deacon's a class act. Too bad they didn't track sacks (a name for tackling the QB he actually coined) back in his time - one of the all time greats.

I had the opportunity to sit with Deacon at one of the Bruce Smith Celebrity Golf Tournaments (our Backers club were event volunteers for many years). 

He was blown away that someone of my relative "youth" had even heard of him, much less recognized him.  I explained that he was my dad's favorite player, and related some stories about him that dad had shared.  Needless to say, I had a friend for the evening! 

Deacon's a class act.  Too bad they didn't track sacks (a name for tackling the QB he actually coined) back in his time - one of the all time greats.

153130[/snapback]

I hear he has huge hands. True?

Too bad they didn't track sacks (a name for tackling the QB he actually coined) back in his time

153130[/snapback]

It's been said that Bruce Smith and Reggie White could combine their sack totals and it still wouldn't equal Deacons'.

I hear he has huge hands.  True?

153135[/snapback]

Mammoth. When we shook hands, mine disappeared. I know I'm setting myself up for the inevitable "not that there's anything wrong with that" comments, but the guy is just big everywhere. I'm 6'2", and he's at least 4 inches taller than I am, his legs are much longer than they seem on classic highlights, and his wingspan has gotta' be above average for a man his height.

But I was much more impressed with his attitude than his physical appearance. He's a genuinely good man, and there's no doubt he loves life.

It's been said that Bruce Smith and Reggie White could combine their sack totals and it still wouldn't equal Deacons'.

153138[/snapback]

I'd believe it.

He told me when they played the Bears once, there was a T (I've since forgotten his name) that was getting the best of Deacon through the first quarter and a half. He unloaded a head slap, and the guy finished the quarter with his eyes crossed. Deac said it was all he could do to keep from laughing when they lined up. He said the guy was replaced in the second half, and Deacon guessed he had about 4 sacks in the second half.

But just one of the thing that really impressed was that as funny as seeing the guy try to play half a quarter cross-eyed was, he never played another down again. Deacon was so remorseful - especially after laughing at him - that he sent the guy some money to help him start his life after football.

I use one of Deacon's lines to this day: "I was trying to 'kill' the guy, but I really didn't want to hurt him."