Good QBs with Bad Games

Dorkington

This team's season has been over for a while now and they will want to evaluate Brohm even if he doesn't pan out. If the Bills were contending for a playoff spot with a terrific team around Fitz, sure leave him in. This team is in evaluation mode and they already know what they have in Ryan Fitzpatrick.

You might have this completely backwards. I think the team knows what it has in Brohm (he sucks) and they want to see if Fitzpatrick can continue his strong play. They are "finding out" about Fitzpatrick right now.

In addition, don't forget about the value of developing other players. Stevie Johnson probably doesn't break out if Edwards were still at the helm, for example. Fitz provides competent QB play that allows the young players around him to hone their craft.

I love Fitz and he should be on this roster for the rest of his career. But if we are going to be an elite type team, Fitz would best served as being one of the NFL's best backups and a mentor for a young, stud, college QB.

Fitz plays the game as hard as anyone in the NFL. But he is limited. I'd rather have Fitz being one of the best backups QBs and a guy who can win a game or 2 off the bench than our future starter. And given what Gailey has done with Fitz, Thigpen, and Fiedler, won't it be nice to see what he could do with an elite QB talent?

Here is a brief history of games in which Ryan Fitzpatrick saw most of the action. For each year, a summary is given of how many Good, Marginal, and Bad games he had.

1 Good, 3 Bad

None

None

3 Good, 2 Marginal, 6 Bad

2009:

2 Good, 3 Marginal, 4 Bad

2010:

3 Good, 1 Marginal, 1 Bad

---

I don't think that it is a knee jerk reaction after this week's loss to say that Ryan Fitzpatrick is not a franchise QB. I think that it was an overly optimistic knee jerk reaction in the first place by some to think Fitzpatrick should be the future of the franchise.

I like the guy, and think he's a great competitor. I think he should finish out the season as the starter, and stay around to mentor the new kid coming in and serve as a valuable reserve. I just can't get on board with the idea of passing up our best opportunity to land a real franchise QB with the number one pick in the draft.

Peyton Manning - Week 5 vs KC - 26/44 244 yds 0 TD 1 INT 65.0 RTG

Tom Brady - Week 6 vs BAL - 27/44 292 yds 1 TD 2 INT 69.5 RTG

Drew Brees - Week 7 vs CLE - 37/56 356 yds 2 TD 4 INT 65.8 RTG

Etc and so on...

Basically, my point of this thread is... Fitzpatrick is still having a good year. He didn't have a great game today, but I don't see it as any reason to sit around and claim that he is playing like crap, or should be benched, or should be cut, or is the worst QB, or whatever.

Remember, it was AT KC, it was windy, he was under constant pressure and his WRs didn't get open as much as they did last week.

He should still start next week, and until he puts together a TREND of bad games, his job should be secure, even next season.

listen all you people who think fitz is the answer. he is what he is. he is a inaccurate backup QB with guts that could get a team thru a game or 2 when their starter goes down.

fitz had many opportunities to win the game for the bills and he reverted to his same old self. the INT on the 27 just before the game ended and overthrowing a wide open CJ in the end zone in overtime to name a couple.

i like the guy but he is by no means a franchise QB and with the group of great QB prospects coming out the bills will definatly get one in the first round. hopefully Luck comes out but there are @ least 3 other very,very good QB's that are going to be available to the bills should he not.

fitz is not the answer but he would be a good backup and mentor to our new young QB next year.

Here is a brief history of games in which Ryan Fitzpatrick saw most of the action. For each year, a summary is given of how many Good, Marginal, and Bad games he had.

1 Good, 3 Bad

None

None

3 Good, 2 Marginal, 6 Bad

2009:

2 Good, 3 Marginal, 4 Bad

2010:

3 Good, 1 Marginal, 1 Bad

---

I don't think that it is a knee jerk reaction after this week's loss to say that Ryan Fitzpatrick is not a franchise QB. I think that it was an overly optimistic knee jerk reaction in the first place by some to think Fitzpatrick should be the future of the franchise.

I like the guy, and think he's a great competitor. I think he should finish out the season as the starter, and stay around to mentor the new kid coming in and serve as a valuable reserve. I just can't get on board with the idea of passing up our best opportunity to land a real franchise QB with the number one pick in the draft.

Thing is, if Luck isn't there with say the #1 overall pick, do you STILL take one of those other guys who are dropping in value by the week and likely not turning out to be the great hyped prospects they were just 2 months ago? I say no...

akm by your metrics, you'd have written off Kurt Warner, Brad Johnson, Earl Morrall, Len Dawson, Jim Plunkett, Phil Simms, Mark Rypien, Steve Young, possibly Bret Farve, Trent Dilfer, and Drew Brees. All of them are Super Bowl winning quarterbacks that were capable of putting together a couple decent seasons at the least. Almost all of them struggled early in their career, but earned Pro Bowl honors (except for Plunkett) as well

Thank you for this. This, along with his play this year, is why I am willing to give Fitzpatrick the whole year to be evaluated vs just writing him off as horrible because of a bad game against a tough KC (at KC, no less).

Here is a brief history of games in which Ryan Fitzpatrick saw most of the action. For each year, a summary is given of how many Good, Marginal, and Bad games he had.20051 Good, 3 Bad2006None2007None20083 Good, 2 Marginal, 6 Bad2009:2 Good, 3 Marginal, 4 Bad2010:3 Good, 1 Marginal, 1 Bad---I don't think that it is a knee jerk reaction after this week's loss to say that Ryan Fitzpatrick is not a franchise QB. I think that it was an overly optimistic knee jerk reaction in the first place by some to think Fitzpatrick should be the future of the franchise.I like the guy, and think he's a great competitor. I think he should finish out the season as the starter, and stay around to mentor the new kid coming in and serve as a valuable reserve. I just can't get on board with the idea of passing up our best opportunity to land a real franchise QB with the number one pick in the draft.

listen all you people who think fitz is the answer. he is what he is. he is a inaccurate backup QB with guts that could get a team thru a game or 2 when their starter goes down.fitz had many opportunities to win the game for the bills and he reverted to his same old self. the INT on the 27 just before the game ended and overthrowing a wide open CJ in the end zone in overtime to name a couple.i like the guy but he is by no means a franchise QB and with the group of great QB prospects coming out the bills will definatly get one in the first round. hopefully Luck comes out but there are @ least 3 other very,very good QB's that are going to be available to the bills should he not.fitz is not the answer but he would be a good backup and mentor to our new young QB next year.

I think you guys are missing my point.

I'm not saying 3-4 good games automatically makes him the franchise quarterback.

I'm saying they should provide him the opportunity/chance to finish out the year, and then after the year is played out we can then evaluate if he is the franchise qb, or if we should sit him back on the bench in favor of a super high draft pick.