Adrian Clayborn, DE Iowa - highlights

Got_Wood

A lot of you seem to be forgetting that if we continue with the shift to the 3-4, you really don't rely on DEs to pressure the QB. Grab a QB in round 1, and you can always get good pass rushing OLBs in rounds 2-3.

I seem to remember a Bills DE that played in a 3-4 and got after quarterbacks pretty damned well.

A lot of you seem to be forgetting that if we continue with the shift to the 3-4, you really don't rely on DEs to pressure the QB. Grab a QB in round 1, and you can always get good pass rushing OLBs in rounds 2-3.

I'm not forgetting that, but who's to say that the Bills will continue the shift to the 3-4 considering they haven't really shifted all that far to it in 2010? They haven't really run it often this season and have already publicly declared they'll be primarily running a 4-3 base for now.

Heyward is projected as a 4-3 DE, and although Clayborn is physically a match for a 3-4 DE his strong suit in college is as a pass rusher. His strength and weight room dedication are questionable, and if he doesn't improve in that regard he will struggle against NFL OTs in getting pushed off the ball. He could be a force as a 3-4 DE, but his strength isn't there yet to hold up as a run stopper.

Like I said, I like them both, but they each have questions.

I seem to remember a Bills DE that played in a 3-4 and got after quarterbacks pretty damned well.

Yes, but Bruce was an incredible rarity.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/121548-remember-sacks/page__st__40

Edited by Punch

Last week verse LSU Nick Fairley dominates double teams all game at DE and DT, and NT.

Dam, LSU couldn't stop him!

He's only a JR tho, expected to declare?

I like how he goes about his business and doesnt over-celebrate. acts like he's been there before.

Edited by dgrid

I'm not forgetting that, but who's to say that the Bills will continue the shift to the 3-4 considering they haven't really shifted all that far to it in 2010? They haven't really run it often this season and have already publicly declared they'll be primarily running a 4-3 base for now.

Heyward is projected as a 4-3 DE, and although Clayborn is physically a match for a 3-4 DE his strong suit in college is as a pass rusher. His strength and weight room dedication are questionable, and if he doesn't improve in that regard he will struggle against NFL OTs in getting pushed off the ball. He could be a force as a 3-4 DE, but his strength isn't there yet to hold up as a run stopper.

Like I said, I like them both, but they each have questions.

Yes, but Bruce was an incredible rarity.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/121548-remember-sacks/page__st__40

That's an informative thread.

Dam, LSU couldn't stop him!

He's only a JR tho, expected to declare?

I like how he goes about his business and doesnt over-celebrate. acts like he's been there before.

Yeah- he will declare. His huge year in the SEC is getting him noticed. He probably will go in the middle-end of the first round but might be available with the first pick in the 2nd round. In the Arkansas game he knocked Mallet out and Lee in the LSU game. I could imagine those names changing to Brady-Sanchez. 6'5" 298 and a QB killer.

Counting on finding the next Bruce Smith is only going to leave you disappointed. There was only 1 Bruce Smith.

My point was that if you can spend the high pick on another position (QB, or perhaps OT) and still get a good pass rusher at OLB in rounds 2-3. If they change their minds and opt to go as a 4-3, then yes, DE becomes a much bigger priority. If we stay with the 3-4, finding 3 more NFL caliber LBs becomes a must.