Wow..... more signs that Moulds wont be back!

Rudyc80

Guest Guesteroo
Hey clown, when you pull your head out of your ass you will realise that a WR of moulds talent will bring a first rounder. SOME dumb assed GM will do it....Or is it just TD That pays 1st rounders for an Average player?  :D

152639[/snapback]

Hey numb nuts, get a clue. If the 49ers couldn't get a first for T.O. (they got a 3rd and 6th), why on earth would anyone give a "high first" for EM? Anwer: They wouldn't, obviously.

Your posts on this board are proof that you don't know what you're talking about.

The vast majority of your posts are total garbage.

P.S. Realize is spelled R-E-A-L-I-Z-E, not "realise"

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All time great? I didn't know Jerry Butler or Andre Reed was still playing

152641[/snapback]

WTF is your beef with Eric Moulds?????? He's been the only rock solid player the Bills have had since the Superbowl days. If he has 7 more seasons (equaling Reed's years) with the Bills he will come awfully close to Reed's numbers and that is with sub-level QBs throwing to him. Butler???? Please dude, Eric's numbers are double that of Jerry's. Please, don't make a fool of yourself trashing an all time Bill great like Moulds. Aint gonna happen on my watch dude.

I'm not too worried about moulds, does anyone remember a few years ago when he made some comments about how he was considering an attempt at playing pro basketball or some sh--? Noone remembers it now just like noone cares if he leaves the locker room in miami early, if you're a bills player, just how much time would YOU want to spend in the visiting locker room at Pro Player Stadium. My guess is probobly not much more time than you'd have to.

WTF is your beef with Eric Moulds?????? He's been the only rock solid player the Bills have had since the Superbowl days. If he has 7 more seasons (equaling Reed's years) with the Bills he will come awfully close to Reed's numbers and that is with sub-level QBs throwing to him. Butler???? Please dude, Eric's numbers are double that of Jerry's. Please, don't make a fool of yourself trashing an all time Bill great like Moulds. Aint gonna happen on my watch dude.

153933[/snapback]

Moulds is a terrific receiver, no doubt. He, however, is not even close to Andre Reed.

I have seen Jerry Butler bashed a number of times on the board over the last year or so. I always feel the need to defend him. IMO, if Butler could have stayed healthy, he was the first Jerry Rice. Remember, he played during a much more conservative era of NFL football than what we have now, and spent the bulk of his career under ground Chuck (Knox for you kiddies!). He was one of hell of a receiver, better than your average great receiver. The guy was money. Never dropped a pass. He could be a possesion guy, or a speed guy when healthy. Butler was very versatile. Had he not gotten injured, I have no doubt he would have played a vital role on at least the first Super Bowl team in 1990, and maybe beyond. Anyone who questions how good a receiver Jerry Butler was, is likely too young to remember him. I promise you, this guy was the real deal....

I remember the last catch of his career. I was sitting only about 20 rows up in the endzone, as the Bills battled the Dolphins. Jim Kelly did a little dancing to avoid pressure, at around the Dolphins 12 yard line. Last play of the first half. As Jimbo rolled right, he appeared to be throwing the ball out of the endzone. Butler lept up about five feet off the ground to grab the ball out of the sky. As he was coming down with it, he get absolutely drilled by two Dolphins at the same time, sandwhich style. His leg bent hideously as he hit the turf of Rich stadium. He laid on the ground in a lot of pain, but he held on to the ball, kept his feet in bounds, touchdown Bills!!!!!!

Moulds is a terrific receiver, no doubt.  He, however, is not even close to Andre Reed. 

I have seen Jerry Butler bashed a number of times on the board over the last year or so.  I always feel the need to defend him.  IMO, if Butler could have stayed healthy, he was the first Jerry Rice.  Remember, he played during a much more conservative era of NFL football than what we have now, and spent the bulk of his career under ground Chuck (Knox for you kiddies!).  He was one of hell of a receiver, better than your average great receiver.  The guy was money.  Never dropped a pass.  He could be a possesion guy, or a speed guy when healthy.  Butler was very versatile.  Had he not gotten injured, I have no doubt he would have played a vital role on at least the first Super Bowl team in 1990, and maybe beyond.  Anyone who questions how good a receiver Jerry Butler was, is likely too young to remember him.  I promise you, this guy was the real deal....

I remember the last catch of his career.  I was sitting only about 20 rows up in the endzone, as the Bills battled the Dolphins.  Jim Kelly did a little dancing to avoid pressure, at around the Dolphins 12 yard line.  Last play of the first half.  As Jimbo rolled right, he appeared to be throwing the ball out of the endzone.  Butler lept up about five feet off the ground to grab the ball out of the sky.  As he was coming down with it, he get absolutely drilled by two Dolphins at the same time, sandwhich style.  His leg bent hideously as he hit the turf of Rich stadium.  He laid on the ground in a lot of pain, but he held on to the ball, kept his feet in bounds, touchdown Bills!!!!!!

154130[/snapback]

He was something. I loved watching him and Bobby Chandler.

I'm so happy I have a life that doesn't revolve around the Buffalo Bills. They're a great distraction from important things, but the stuff people worry about ... ugh

Moulds is a terrific receiver, no doubt.  He, however, is not even close to Andre Reed. 

154130[/snapback]

Moulds did not have Jim Kelly throwing him the football. He's had the likes of Todd Collins, Billy Joe Hobert, Alex Van Pelt and Rob Johnson and numerous coaching and offensive coordinator changes to drag his numbers down. Yet still he's on pace to be in the same ball park as Reed's numbers. To say he's not even close is not giving Moulds the credit he deserves. Sometimes a player is only as good as the situation he plays in during a specific time frame. You can not tell me Reed would have had the same career if the situations were reversed. IMO, not even close as you put it.

I'd rate those three as follows:

1. Jerry Butler

2. Eric Moulds

3. Andre Reed

Even though Eric Moulds is probably better than Andre Reed, we can't afford his cap number of $8 million. He needs to restructure or he's out. It would be hard to get fair value for him in a trade, because next year he'll be ridiculously overpaid. But using Terrell Owens as an example is not a good one; because language in T.O.'s contract specified he should become a free agent. That case went to arbitration, and San Fran was lucky to get any compensation at all for losing him.

I'd rate those three as follows:

1. Jerry Butler

2. Eric Moulds

3. Andre Reed

Even though Eric Moulds is probably better than Andre Reed, we can't afford his cap number of $8 million. He needs to restructure or he's out. It would be hard to get fair value for him in a trade, because next year he'll be ridiculously overpaid. But using Terrell Owens as an example is not a good one; because language in T.O.'s contract specified he should become a free agent. That case went to arbitration, and San Fran was lucky to get any compensation at all for losing him.

154298[/snapback]

We can't afford to not have Moulds next season. For a player that is as intrical to the Bills offensive success as Moulds is, I don't think that 6 or 7 million is too bad. Yes 8 million is a little overboard, so he should shave a million or two off to help out the team but lets not pretend we can replace him. Does anyone remember how our offense played after Price was gone? Moulds needs to be paid like the top receiver that he is in this league. How much do you think he's worth as a cap hit next season?

The problem with taking that $8 million cap hit for Moulds next season is that we lose Jonas Jennings. Jonas would cost a lot LESS than $8 million a year to re-sign, so we'd be losing other stuff as well. I don't like to walk away from young talent like Jonas in order to overpay for a declining veteran. (Yes, Eric is still very good, but he's not as good as he was two years ago. Next year he'll be a little less good than this year.) With a young core of offensive players in the form of McGahee, Evans, and Losman, it makes sense to keep other young offensive players like Jonas.

If Moulds trains hard enough he can probably be a little better next year Kurt. He didn't get to train 100% at all this offseason because his groin bothered him right up till training camp. Just because a #3 appears at the start of your age doesn't mean you start automatically declining. I think Eric has 2-3 more "top form" years left at least. Look at Jimmy Smith and Owens. Don't panic just yet people. We don't have to worry about a 1st rounder so we can keep both Jonas and Pat if we want to.

Guest Max in Tampa
He was something.  I loved watching him and Bobby Chandler.

154136[/snapback]

Jerry Butler was an outstanding receiver and would have been HOF material had his leg not been broken, IMO. The catch he made that broke his leg was outstanding. Bob Chandler was a outstanding receiver in his own right who made the most out of talent he had. No speed, but great hands and the ability to find the opening. His catch in the back of the end zone on Monday Night Football is classic, unfortunately he's in a Raiders uniform.

If Moulds trains hard enough he can probably be a little better next year Kurt. He didn't get to train 100% at all this offseason because his groin bothered him right up till training camp. Just because a #3 appears at the start of your age doesn't mean you start automatically declining. I think Eric has 2-3 more "top form" years left at least. Look at Jimmy Smith and Owens. Don't panic just yet people. We don't have to worry about a 1st rounder so we can keep both Jonas and Pat if we want to.

154397[/snapback]

I've heard it said that we will be over the cap next year, even without re-signing Jonas. Obviously we have to do something. Will TD succumb to the temptation of solving his cap problems by restructuring or cutting an overpaid, declining Butler player? . . . We'll see.

I have seen Jerry Butler bashed a number of times on the board over the last year or so.  I always feel the need to defend him.  IMO, if Butler could have stayed healthy, he was the first Jerry Rice.  Remember, he played during a much more conservative era of NFL football than what we have now, and spent the bulk of his career under ground Chuck (Knox for you kiddies!).  He was one of hell of a receiver, better than your average great receiver.  The guy was money.  Never dropped a pass.  He could be a possesion guy, or a speed guy when healthy.  Butler was very versatile.  Had he not gotten injured, I have no doubt he would have played a vital role on at least the first Super Bowl team in 1990, and maybe beyond.  Anyone who questions how good a receiver Jerry Butler was, is likely too young to remember him.  I promise you, this guy was the real deal....

I remember the last catch of his career.  I was sitting only about 20 rows up in the endzone, as the Bills battled the Dolphins.  Jim Kelly did a little dancing to avoid pressure, at around the Dolphins 12 yard line.  Last play of the first half.  As Jimbo rolled right, he appeared to be throwing the ball out of the endzone.  Butler lept up about five feet off the ground to grab the ball out of the sky.  As he was coming down with it, he get absolutely drilled by two Dolphins at the same time, sandwhich style.  His leg bent hideously as he hit the turf of Rich stadium.  He laid on the ground in a lot of pain, but he held on to the ball, kept his feet in bounds, touchdown Bills!!!!!!

154130[/snapback]

you just brought a tear to my eye! :blink:

You heard wrong Kurt. Ask ClumpingPlatelets, I'm no good at that stuff. I do know that we will lose the 4mill. from Rueben Brown, plus another 4 mill. with the cap going up, so like I said don't worry too much, and Moulds IS NOT declining yet.

Moulds did not have Jim Kelly throwing him the football. He's had the likes of Todd Collins, Billy Joe Hobert, Alex Van Pelt and Rob Johnson and numerous coaching and offensive coordinator changes to drag his numbers down. Yet still he's on pace to be in the same ball park as Reed's numbers. To say he's not even close is not giving Moulds the credit he deserves. Sometimes a player is only as good as the situation he plays in during a specific time frame. You can not tell me Reed would have had the same career if the situations were reversed. IMO, not even close as you put it.

154149[/snapback]

Like I said, I am not ripping Moulds. I think he is an excellent receiver. Everybody can't be the "best ever". I don't get caught up in all the stats. One might argue that Kelly benefited as much from his receivers, as they did him. Perhaps I was a little harsh to say that Moulds is "not even close" to Reed.

One major nod I would give Reed over Moulds, and it is a big factor for me, is that Moulds has come up small on a number of occaisions, when he had every opportunity to make a play. I am not saying he always comes up small, but he seems to have some mental lapses from time to time. He drops more balls than Reed ever did. I will give you that Reed played on better teams than Moulds has, overall, but Reed was a big part of what made them so good. Moulds may be a superior athlete to Reed, but IMO, Reed overachieved in his career. I am not so sure that you could say the same about Moulds.

One major edge I would give to Moulds over Reed, is team attitude. His (Moulds) attitude was a big issue with NFL scouts in 1996, but it seems to me (a former WNY'er who doesn't always hear all the day to day gossip) he has been an exemplary leader on the Bills throughout his career. Reed could be a little petualant at times, and always seemed a little envious of all the attention that Kelly and Thomas recieved. Remember too, by the standards of the day, Reed was vastly underpaid for his production. In his prime, he put up numbers very comperable to the best of his peers, but never really seemed to cash in on his success.