Bills Scouts

Ok, this current Bills team for whatever reason is considered one of the worst this year and will likely finish in the top 5 worst. That means they will get a shot at a true franchise QB-LT-LB or an ultra talented player at some position. My Question is, will they get it right or screw it up like they have the last 8 years?

That same scouting staff that was responsible for the LT Mike Williams pick with the 4th pick. back in 2002.....is he still in Buffalo helping them to make horrid draft choices? Is the same guy that scouted Aaron Maybin and stated he would be better then Brian Orakpo still in Buffalo? Is the same guy who drafted Donte Whitner the 56th rated player at #9, is he still with the Buffalo Bills? Is the guy who hasn't drafted a decent offensive linemen for the last 8 years, save Wood and Levitre that were taken with a #1 & # 2 pick, is he still in Buffalo?

Tom Donahoe took the heat for that complete bust at tackle that got a multi-million dollar contract and was beaten out by free agent Jason Peters, but who is responsible for directing that Williams would be a worthwhile selection? How exactly can you be horrible at your job for nearly a decade and still have that job?

Can Buddy Nix override the moronic scouting reports he will receive from the Bills staff, or will he be looking at the film and making his own conclusions?

Wanted to edit the above post, but it said I didn't have permission....

Anyway, Ralph Wilson keeps making the statement that the Bills just don't have the talent to compete, and yet the scouting dept keeps missing and making mistakes on selections and he takes no action against them....

What I basically wanted to know is, can we trust this staff to get it right this year?

Guest dog14787

Ok, this current Bills team for whatever reason is considered one of the worst this year and will likely finish in the top 5 worst. That means they will get a shot at a true franchise QB-LT-LB or an ultra talented player at some position. My Question is, will they get it right or screw it up like they have the last 8 years?

That same scouting staff that was responsible for the LT Mike Williams pick with the 4th pick. back in 2002.....is he still in Buffalo helping them to make horrid draft choices? Is the same guy that scouted Aaron Maybin and stated he would be better then Brian Orakpo still in Buffalo? Is the same guy who drafted Donte Whitner the 56th rated player at #9, is he still with the Buffalo Bills? Is the guy who hasn't drafted a decent offensive linemen for the last 8 years, save Wood and Levitre that were taken with a #1 & # 2 pick, is he still in Buffalo?

Tom Donahoe took the heat for that complete bust at tackle that got a multi-million dollar contract and was beaten out by free agent Jason Peters, but who is responsible for directing that Williams would be a worthwhile selection? How exactly can you be horrible at your job for nearly a decade and still have that job?

Can Buddy Nix override the moronic scouting reports he will receive from the Bills staff, or will he be looking at the film and making his own conclusions?

Building a team through the draft is impossible without good scouting and a good Architect to put it all together. Chan Gailey specialty in my opinion is QB's and Buddy Nix needs to take the QB position as a top priority, give Gailey not just one new toy next season, maybe two, even three because the Buffalo Bills must find a QB.

The next Priority is protecting your young and developing QB's and If it means spending money in FA then that's what you do, SPEND THE MONEY RALPH!!! and make damn sure your Rookie QB's have decent TE/security blanket, good grief, I swear TSW could collectively build a much better football then we've seen over the last decade, :wallbash:

Edited by dog14787

Forget scouting, pick up about three draft magazines and follow their advice - sad to say but if the Bills had done that they would have been further along these last eight years.

To answer your question in short, no, the Bills cannot be trusted with the selection. We have to hope that there are enough quality players at the top that even when they dont select the ebst we get lucky. I would rather pull a name out of a hat than let them make the selection. Or at least go with whoever Mayock says is best.

Guest dog14787

Forget scouting, pick up about three draft magazines and follow their advice - sad to say but if the Bills had done that they would have been further along these last eight years.

No doubt, stop trying to get cute, the Bills are anything but cute, somethings seriously wrong with our scouting department and the decision making and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

Edited by dog14787

If you think Mike Williams was a bad pick, do you remember who we would have taken if he hadn't been drafted 1 pick earlier by Detroit? Joey Harrington. We were in a total lose-lose situation with the draft board put together that year.

Well to answer the question that you repeatedly asked (but, I have a feeling you already know that answer)..a big part of the scouting went through the eyes and ears of Tom Modrak who has been here for the past decade..(maybe longer?)..He has insisted on certain players like Mike Williams...and when we could've had Drew Breeze in the draft, he

argued with Greg Williams against selecting Drew! Greg Williams so much as said this the last time we played them, and was happy to leave the Bills mismanaged organization. The biggest blunder of all though was in the 90's when Ralph Wilson let Bill Polian slip away. Another wonderful part of the organization was when Ted Marchibroda was here. You don't here much about when he was here, but he had a lot of input in the success of the Bills.

Like you mentioned, we have made so many blunders in the draft it is almost unbelievable. Bryant McKinney has been very good for Minnesota for all these years, while Mike Williams has been eating himself out of the leaugue and trying to once again stick around the leaugue for a bit.

Besides drafting which is a huge issue, we also lack the initiative to resign our players that we develop during their first contract, creating more holes to fill when we have a limited amount of draft selections. How do you replace

players quickly like Antwoine Winfield, Pat Williams, Jabari Greer, Leonhard, Nate Clements etc..? You end up having to use one of your draft picks or pick up a marginal free agent to fill the whole while depriving your roster from improving as all you are doing is filling holes that is self-created by management's inability to re-sign players.

Buddy Nix self-admittedly believes in picking up mostly (if not always) marginal players to fill holes on the roster. He actually mentioned that when he was hired. He doesn't believe in the "big-name" signings! Well, although their are teams who annually do the big name signings without much reward: Washington Redskins (Dan Snyder)...there are also teams like New England, and the NY Jets that sign big time free agents quite well, and they have been well rewarded for doing so. So I do not buy into that philosophy at all !!!

How does a team go from bottom dweller to division champion? Look at Miami... 3 key things went into that.... Drafting extrememly well, Key acquisitions in Free Agency, and adding a twist and some ingenuitive thinking as far as their offense goes! ie: Wildcat !! Unfortuantely, the Bills refuse to consider serious changes and when they do implement a significant change they shortchange themselves by utilizing undersized players in the 3-4 defensive scheme which is fruitles.

Hasn't the new management of Nix and Gailey stressed the point that they were going to utilize a players talent in a way so they can best succeed? (I know they have..) Does anyone really feel that the Bills have taken even one step towards that goal in any manner???

Also, how are you doing to develop your talent (now that's a contrast in terms..Talent??) if your younger players like Maybin, Moats, Carrington, Troup are either inactive or sitting on the bench most or all of the game????

How can Ralph look anyone in the eye and say "This I promise you, we are going to fix it", when referring to the Bills? How can he speculate that it will be at worst 3 years? I don't believe you can KEEP Tom Modrak as a paid employee and, try to convince the fans that you are committed to turning this ship around!! That would be my first step....Releasing Tom Modrak! Then I'd know at least that you are serious, as symbolic as it may be!

The second step is I would promote Doug Whaley within the organization who has been a big part of Pittsburgh's success in the past.

Third step, I would quickly trade or release players now or at the end of the season who have been anonomous players ie: Aaron Maybin....there are others but he'd be first on my list! This may be symbolic as well, but it delivers a message that non-performers will not be on our roster!

Fourth step...but maybe this step would come first as the trade deadline is Tuesday...I would make at least 3 trades, even if we don't get the better of the deal. The main thing with a build through the draft mentality is you need as many picks as you can get! We need about 6 more picks, but I'd settle for 3 more on top of the extra one we have.

Do you see the Bills doing this????? No, neither do I...it's kinda like running out of bounds on 4th and whatever with 4 seconds left in the game! Why wouldn't you wing it down the field and try for a big strike??? Why wouldn't you want a heavy turnover in a rebuilding organization????????????????????????????????????????????????????////

Fifth step...Although us fans are tough...and we apply pressure to a bad organization...do not admit publicly that you are going to focusing on drafting a QB in the upcoming NFL Draft ! If I were Andrew Luck, or Ryan Mallet I'd be thinking that maybe I shouldn't declare if it means the Bills might be the team to select me next year!!!!!!! Just shutup, or admit that you need a QB (Probably 2), (one through FA), OLT, 2 WR's, DT, LB's and that we are going to address these needs! Without disclosing your specific plan!!!

Just a bad organization caught in the circle of self-destruction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bag:

If you think Mike Williams was a bad pick, do you remember who we would have taken if he hadn't been drafted 1 pick earlier by Detroit?  Joey Harrington.  We were in a total lose-lose situation with the draft board put together that year.

The entire draft plan was built around Joey H.

When Detroit took Joey, Teflon Tom panicked and took Fat Mike instead of McKinney who was the proto-type LT who had never given up a sack to that point. 

This was from tonyjustbcuz

Well to answer the question that you repeatedly asked (but, I have a feeling you already know that answer)..a big part of the scouting went through the eyes and ears of Tom Modrak who has been here for the past decade..(maybe longer?)..He has insisted on certain players like Mike Williams...and when we could've had Drew Breeze in the draft, he

argued with Greg Williams against selecting Drew! Greg Williams so much as said this the last time we played them, and was happy to leave the Bills mismanaged organization. The biggest blunder of all though was in the 90's when Ralph Wilson let Bill Polian slip away. Another wonderful part of the organization was when Ted Marchibroda was here. You don't here much about when he was here, but he had a lot of input in the success of the Bills.

Like you mentioned, we have made so many blunders in the draft it is almost unbelievable. Bryant McKinney has been very good for Minnesota for all these years, while Mike Williams has been eating himself out of the leaugue and trying to once again stick around the leaugue for a bit.

Besides drafting which is a huge issue, we also lack the initiative to resign our players that we develop during their first contract, creating more holes to fill when we have a limited amount of draft selections. How do you replace

players quickly like Antwoine Winfield, Pat Williams, Jabari Greer, Leonhard, Nate Clements etc..? You end up having to use one of your draft picks or pick up a marginal free agent to fill the whole while depriving your roster from improving as all you are doing is filling holes that is self-created by management's inability to re-sign players.

Buddy Nix self-admittedly believes in picking up mostly (if not always) marginal players to fill holes on the roster. He actually mentioned that when he was hired. He doesn't believe in the "big-name" signings! Well, although their are teams who annually do the big name signings without much reward: Washington Redskins (Dan Snyder)...there are also teams like New England, and the NY Jets that sign big time free agents quite well, and they have been well rewarded for doing so. So I do not buy into that philosophy at all !!!

How does a team go from bottom dweller to division champion? Look at Miami... 3 key things went into that.... Drafting extrememly well, Key acquisitions in Free Agency, and adding a twist and some ingenuitive thinking as far as their offense goes! ie: Wildcat !! Unfortuantely, the Bills refuse to consider serious changes and when they do implement a significant change they shortchange themselves by utilizing undersized players in the 3-4 defensive scheme which is fruitles.

Hasn't the new management of Nix and Gailey stressed the point that they were going to utilize a players talent in a way so they can best succeed? (I know they have..) Does anyone really feel that the Bills have taken even one step towards that goal in any manner???

Also, how are you doing to develop your talent (now that's a contrast in terms..Talent??) if your younger players like Maybin, Moats, Carrington, Troup are either inactive or sitting on the bench most or all of the game????

How can Ralph look anyone in the eye and say "This I promise you, we are going to fix it", when referring to the Bills? How can he speculate that it will be at worst 3 years? I don't believe you can KEEP Tom Modrak as a paid employee and, try to convince the fans that you are committed to turning this ship around!! That would be my first step....Releasing Tom Modrak! Then I'd know at least that you are serious, as symbolic as it may be!

The second step is I would promote Doug Whaley within the organization who has been a big part of Pittsburgh's success in the past.

Third step, I would quickly trade or release players now or at the end of the season who have been anonomous players ie: Aaron Maybin....there are others but he'd be first on my list! This may be symbolic as well, but it delivers a message that non-performers will not be on our roster!

Fourth step...but maybe this step would come first as the trade deadline is Tuesday...I would make at least 3 trades, even if we don't get the better of the deal. The main thing with a build through the draft mentality is you need as many picks as you can get! We need about 6 more picks, but I'd settle for 3 more on top of the extra one we have.

Do you see the Bills doing this????? No, neither do I...it's kinda like running out of bounds on 4th and whatever with 4 seconds left in the game! Why wouldn't you wing it down the field and try for a big strike??? Why wouldn't you want a heavy turnover in a rebuilding organization????????????????????????????????????????????????????////

Fifth step...Although us fans are tough...and we apply pressure to a bad organization...do not admit publicly that you are going to focusing on drafting a QB in the upcoming NFL Draft ! If I were Andrew Luck, or Ryan Mallet I'd be thinking that maybe I shouldn't declare if it means the Bills might be the team to select me next year!!!!!!! Just shutup, or admit that you need a QB (Probably 2), (one through FA), OLT, 2 WR's, DT, LB's and that we are going to address these needs! Without disclosing your specific plan!!!

Just a bad organization caught in the circle of self-destruction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bag:

I was kinda hoping someone would tell me why Tom Modrak still has a job with the Buffalo Bills, how do you consistently fail in your job for 8 years and still keep it? Tom Donahoe was fired in Pittsburgh after he lost a power struggle with Bil Cowher, once Donahoe was hired here in Buffalp he hired Modrak away from Pittsburgh. They guy must have some photo's of somebody or something to keep his job, he should have been canned right along with Donahoe when he was fired years ago. How does the owner complain about the talent and then does nothing to correct the situation

Building a team through the draft is impossible without good scouting and a good Architect to put it all together. Chan Gailey specialty in my opinion is QB's and Buddy Nix needs to take the QB position as a top priority, give Gailey not just one new toy next season, maybe two, even three because the Buffalo Bills must find a QB.

The next Priority is protecting your young and developing QB's and If it means spending money in FA then that's what you do, SPEND THE MONEY RALPH!!! and make damn sure your Rookie QB's have decent TE/security blanket, good grief, I swear TSW could collectively build a much better football then we've seen over the last decade, :wallbash:

The problem in my view dog is that Buddy Nix made the O line a priority in the last draft and came away with Wang at #5, the guy hasn't even seen the field yet afaik. So he went into the draft and didn't see any O linemen worth selecting in the first 5 rounds?

I just don't trust this staff, scouts-GM- head coach to make any decent selections at any position, I don't get how the owner can feel comfortable about them either. Perhaps he still sits in the draft room and makes some picks himself like he used to do in eariler years, that might be an answer as to why the team has no talent :lol: