Time frame for a turnaround?

Before the season, I stated that I was just hoping for improvement on both sides of the ball. Also, I was hoping that the games would be interesting/entertaining. But, I am sorry to say at this point in the season the Bills are nearly unwatchable.

I hope that this might be one step backwards and two steps forward. I'm not optimistic. I see at least 3 years before this ship may be headed in the right direction and all that means is that we are competitive. That doesn't mean we are a winning franchise. You look at the Kansas City Chiefs and they seem to be headed in the right direction.

On another note, I hate to say it but as much as we didn't like the comments of mpl...isn't he somewhat vindicated? Is he in hiding and doesn't want to say I told you so? Is he banned from the board? What is going on? I personally would like to read some of mpl's comments. It is certainly more interesting that watching the Bills.

Since you asked:

This year - Evaluate what is on the roster and implement "your" system(s)...draft guys that will fill your system needs...throughout the course of the year, give guys a shot and clear the roster of people who do not meet your long term needs... [season wins - 0 to 2]

2011 - Draft need area guys - includes OT, LB and QB. If you can, sign strategic free agent types where you can. NOTE - I would not be the least bit surprised to see this regime pass on a QB in the 1st round if they think they can get one in the 2nd or in the 2012 draft...just saying. [season wins 2-4]

2012 - Draft to fill in the holes that we still have...[season wins 6-8]

Hopefully conted by 2013? By the way, this is a sad timeline as we operate in an era of parody in the NFL....

Edited by Kipers Hair

I'm really concerned about this one.

Typically, in a normally healthy functioning franchise, I would say 5 years.

Look at this year's Oakland Raiders and Kansas City Chiefs to get an idea of what I am talking about (and everybody bashes Al Davis). These 2 teams are making rather rapid turn-arounds considering where they had been as of late.

But we have 3 big problems in the front office: 1.) Tom Modrak is still Director of Scouting, 2.) Littman is still employed, and 3.) Overdorf is still employed.

This trifecta of impotence, IMO, is the real reason why the Bills have not been competitive since Butler left.

This team is an "emperor has no clothes" team. Ralph is still pulling the strings and is surrounded by incompetent yes men.

Truth.

Also, if the Bills don't draft well this coming offseason, it will be at least three or four more years before they can think about competing for a playoff spot.

Some teams have turned it around in one year, but in this case I'm hoping for competitive within two years. Best case scenario this year is that some areas of the team start to gel in December. Last year the Raiders were the worst team in the league but began to put it together in December. This year they're showing signs of life. Same for the Chiefs.

What I'm hoping for this year is for the Bills to spoil somebody's playoff hopes in December, especially in the division. It looks like the fish and patriots will have to struggle for a playoff spot, and it would be awesome to see them get knocked out by us at the end of the year.

At least it would be something positive in an otherwise depressing year.

Edited by gobillsinytown

And if I may add, that when Butler left, the Bills were truly in a contract quandary.

They were paying for players whom were no longer on the roster, and had alot of "dead" money not going to the success of the team on the field.

In comes Tom Donahoe, and I think Wilson got weak and relented to Littman and Overdorf- ultimately giving each more power than they deserved.

Now Donahoe is long-gone, but Littman and Overdorf still have control as part of the "trust".

These 2, along with Modrak, are hampering the team from developing anything. It won't matter who is the GM, head coach, or QB. Ralph got scared after Butler left. I think it was Overdorf and Littman that scared him into being led to believe that overpaying for an underachieving roster is the way for a small market team to go.

now as opposed to the day Nix Gailey took office?

When Jauron left we had a middling good team beset by injuries and coaching woes. We needed immediate help at the tackle positions and quarterback and to sign Owens and Incognito. The 4-3 needed two new linemen, a defensive end and a good solid tackle. Most if not all of these things could have been addressed in by trade, draft or free agency.

The team has deteriorated drastically since.

Assuming we dump nix/gailey at the end of the season, draft wisely and bring in new players I think we could be a playoff team in three years.

Two years after RW passes away and the team moves to [fill in the blank].

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you there. The Superbowl years were but an aboration, and only as a result of Bill Polian. The rest of the teams were just as pitiful as they are now, except for Lou Saban's team, and that might be why he left us twice.

Since you asked:

This year - Evaluate what is on the roster and implement "your" system(s)...draft guys that will fill your system needs...throughout the course of the year, give guys a shot and clear the roster of people who do not meet your long term needs... [season wins - 0 to 2]

2011 - Draft need area guys - includes OT, LB and QB. If you can, sign strategic free agent types where you can. NOTE - I would not be the least bit surprised to see this regime pass on a QB in the 1st round if they think they can get one in the 2nd or in the 2012 draft...just saying. [season wins 2-4]

2012 - Draft to fill in the holes that we still have...[season wins 6-8]

Hopefully conted by 2013? By the way, this is a sad timeline as we operate in an era of parody in the NFL....

Where do you guys get this from, what other franchise needs an entire year to "" evaluate"" its players... stating that is just an excuse for this regime, and unbelievably lame.

Looking at this years acquisitions and draft and trades, I'd say never with Nix and Gailey in charge.

The Bills should have kept Perry Fewell as HC ...

Edited by Harvey lives

And if I may add, that when Butler left, the Bills were truly in a contract quandary.

They were paying for players whom were no longer on the roster, and had alot of "dead" money not going to the success of the team on the field.

In comes Tom Donahoe, and I think Wilson got weak and relented to Littman and Overdorf- ultimately giving each more power than they deserved.

Now Donahoe is long-gone, but Littman and Overdorf still have control as part of the "trust".

These 2, along with Modrak, are hampering the team from developing anything. It won't matter who is the GM, head coach, or QB. Ralph got scared after Butler left. I think it was Overdorf and Littman that scared him into being led to believe that overpaying for an underachieving roster is the way for a small market team to go.

Your just pissing into the wind around this forum....even if it is the truth. Ralph Wilson surrounded himself with his 'friends" and "Buddy's" (forgive the pun) At his age he trusts these men to run his franchise and sadly things will never change as long as Ralph Wilson is calling the shots

This Franchise needs Wilson to step down as president and he needs to hire a Bill Polian - Ozzie Newsome type to replace him, to purge and change the entire infrastructure of the organization. Of course this would mean that he would need to give away that final say over the team, so we know this will never happen as long as he remains the owner.