2012 Draft: Luck or Newton?

Got_Wood

Neither. If the Bills has a TEAM with the talent and balance of Pitts when they drafted a rookie starter who helped make the team a TEAM I might advocate that taking a talented QB would be the right move for this team.

However, the needs of this team for talent are so wide and diverse that I think that neither Luck or Newton are good enough to win with a bad team around them (and even worse since one of the central talent areas is the OL it is a doubtful thing that a rookie QB even survives a full season with this OL (not to even mention that a QB no matter how talented does little for the pass-rush starved and LB short D).

The other problem is that not only is it unlikely that a rookie QB would have the talent to read opposing pro Ds well enough to exploit them with actually will be a not bad diverse set of skill talents like Spiller, the speed of Evans and run/receive talents of Jackson, but also he will need to be able to read pro Ds to avoid a complex set of blitzes which the young OL may have trouble witn.

Even worse, even if Luck or Newton are extremely talented and like any rookie QB needs a year or more to develop, the Buffalo media clearly does not have the maturity or willingness to give the player some time yo develop.

If this team must use the draft to fortify this team at QB then it would be a far better strategy to acquire the longshot to impossibly be a Tom Brady taken in the 6th than hurting the team by picking a QB in the 1st.

They're both stellar QBs with great careers ahead of them. The immediate choice would be Luck, but boy I sure wouldn't mind seeing Newton behind center. Don't know if you guys saw that pass he made deep down the field as he was getting chased out of bounds. Complete frozen rope with coverage all around. I let out an audible gasp just watching the replay.

This is more of a question of who is better between these two, than "who should the Bills draft". But yeah, you're right.

And I'm talking about Cam Newton from Auburn, for those of you that don't know who he is. Former Florida QB that transferred.

He never throws the ball. He had 200 yards 4 TDs RUSHING. He is not much of an NFL QB prospect, but he is more than athletic enough to be given at tryout at WR.

Ryan Leaf

Peyton Manning

Doesn't matter I guess. As long as we have the #1 pick in the Draft. That's what everyone is hoping for. The #1 pick is a sure-fire key to success as long as it's a QB.

Well, maybe not a QB named Jeff George, or Tim Couch, or David Carr, or Alex Smith, or Vince Young, or JaMarcus Russell.

1999 - First three picks of the Draft

1 - Tim Couch

2 - Donovan McNabb

3 - Akili Smith

In 2011, we're likely to be in a race to the first QB picked with SF, Cleveland(maybe), NE- courtesy of Oakland, Carolina. Detwat might be in that hunt too if their golden boy Stafford takes another hit to his throwing shoulder... might be.

Andrew Luck is developing into the best collegiate quarterback. Perhaps this is a chance for Stanford to redeem themselves after bringing up Trent Edwards. If the season continues to play out as it is, Andrew Luck will be the number one quarterback in the 2011 draft. Jake Lockers stock is steadily decreasing. Luck and Mallet will be the only two first round qbs. The bills would be nuts not to go with Luck, especially with the maturity he has shown this year. His football IQ is through the roof.

In 2011, we're likely to be in a race to the first QB picked with SF, Cleveland(maybe), NE- courtesy of Oakland, Carolina. Detwat might be in that hunt too if their golden boy Stafford takes another hit to his throwing shoulder... might be.

That just became less likely. Oakland beats San Diego.