Fitzpatrick threw 2 costly INT's, yet....

The Poojer

I would put Brohm in after the Jets game and see what happens.That way we will know exactly what we got going into the 2011 draft........Mallet or Luck if he comes out.

I want to see Brohm as much as anyone, I think. But if Fitz has another good performance I think you leave it alone for now. But like you I would like to give Brohm a shot to see if he is the next starting QB of this team.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

....except the ball was way over his head. Now maybe if he was allowed to carry a ladder on his routes...

Way over his head? Hmmm I believe this is also way over TE Moeaki's head as well difference is Moeaki makes an effort/play on the ball.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/kansas-city-chiefs/09000d5d81ad9156/QB-Cassel-to-TE-Moeaki-18-yd-pass-TD

I'm not sure why [almost] everyone's so quick to declare Fitz isn't the answer. I'm not saying he is, but he's made steady improvement over his career. If I'm not mistaken he's started just under 2 full seasons worth of games. Last year he had a winning record on a 6-10 team and showed dramatic improvement on the team this week. Maybe with a strong line, big-time receivers, and a little more experience Fitz could be one of the better QBs in the league.

Let's face facts: going into the season, Fitz was unable to beat out Trent Edwards for the starting position. As we have just seen, Trent Edwards wasn't able to hold onto his roster spot (at least not with the Bills). I'm assuming that the Bills would have traded Trent away for something if they could have, and that his release indicates no one was interested. Back when Fitz was a free agent a few years ago, no one was interested in him either, except as a backup.

I realize that a QB can look good in practice, or even in the preseason, but then proceed to stink things up during games. One could argue that Edwards is the better QB in practice, but Fitz is the better QB in actual games.

There's an easy way to put that argument to the test. Last season, Fitz and Trent each had about half the starts. They each played with the same flawed OL, the same joke offensive supporting cast, and the same joke offensive scheme. Below is the comparison for their stats from last season:

QB (2009 season)_YPA___rating

Edwards__________6.4___73.8

Fitzpatrick______6.3___69.7

Last season, Fitzpatrick's and Edward's stats were nearly identical. The problem here is not only did Fitzpatrick fail to outperform Edwards in practices and the preseason leading into this year, but he also failed to have a statistically better 2009 season than Edwards did.

Fitzpatrick is probably a better QB than Edwards. He's certainly willing to take more risks and throw the ball downfield more often; instead of predictably dumping the ball off. But let's face facts here: if the Bills had given Trent Edwards half the snaps in 2009, and had given the other half to Peyton Manning, would Peyton's numbers really have been the same as Edwards'? Would Manning have lost a competition to Edwards going into the 2010 season?

The Bills do not yet have their QB of the future on the roster. Fitzpatrick is the next Todd Collins/Alex Van Pelt/Drew Bledsoe/J.P. Losman/Trent Edwards. If the Bills somehow convince themselves Fitzpatrick is the answer, they'll be unlikely to address the QB position early in the draft. That blindness and willful self-deception will cause the Bills to continue to be mired in the same old mediocre QB play we've seen ever since Kelly hung up his cleats.