Final Verdict on Lee Evans

This discussion has been in play for a while, good bad, not elite, elite, one trick pony, yada yada... Well an excerpt from the link gives a perspective that makes it clear:

"He's a really good receiver," Hixon said. "He has outstanding hands, and he has a knack for whatever it might be on the deep ball. He's a great deep-ball runner. We're trying to get that done in our offense. He does a good job running underneath routes also. But when I first got here and watched him on film, it was obvious he had a special talent on the deep ball."

It might be obvious to some, many even, but to hear it from an NFL coach whom I paraphrase to say that Lee is average on short and intermediate routes and the deep ball is THE aspect where he is elite.

Bottom line is pairing him with any west coast style QB or short throw offense is a complete waste of his strength. So would he be a star with Joe Montana? Maybe not, would he be a star with Brees? I don't think he would. Brady, or even a McNabb, Culpepper or Favre yes. Kelly would have fired shots out there all day long. The O line does play in here too as you have to have enough time and the pocket to get the pass up. With the inability for the line to buy time, the strength of Lee's game can't be even attempted. Throw in a short pass offense and not the strongest arms in th league, he will stagnate. Maybe this whole issue spins off into a argument for Brohm.

Irrespectively, to Me Hixon's feedback is expert testimony to the fact that either Buf gets a great deep ball passer (like JP was except, you know, that can do the other things too) or look to strike a deal with a team that thinks they have the arm on the roster that puts Lee in the pro bowl. All vendetta’s aside, get the complimentary pieces to make it work, or get an asset from someone else who will.

This discussion has been in play for a while, good bad, not elite, elite, one trick pony, yada yada... Well an excerpt from the link gives a perspective that makes it clear:

"He's a really good receiver," Hixon said. "He has outstanding hands, and he has a knack for whatever it might be on the deep ball. He's a great deep-ball runner. We're trying to get that done in our offense. He does a good job running underneath routes also. But when I first got here and watched him on film, it was obvious he had a special talent on the deep ball."

It might be obvious to some, many even, but to hear it from an NFL coach whom I paraphrase to say that Lee is average on short and intermediate routes and the deep ball is THE aspect where he is elite. <....>

Irrespectively, to Me Hixon's feedback is expert testimony to the fact that either Buf gets a great deep ball passer (like JP was except, you know, that can do the other things too) or look to strike a deal with a team that thinks they have the arm on the roster that puts Lee in the pro bowl. All vendetta’s aside, get the complimentary pieces to make it work, or get an asset from someone else who will.

Interesting quotes. I'm not sure what constitutes a "final verdict" vs 1 guy's opinion?

It does seem worth noting that "outstanding hands" and "good job running underneath routes" don't seem to equate to "can't contribute to the Bills unless we get a great deep ball passer".

Interesting quotes. I'm not sure what constitutes a "final verdict" vs 1 guy's opinion?

It does seem worth noting that "outstanding hands" and "good job running underneath routes" don't seem to equate to "can't contribute to the Bills unless we get a great deep ball passer".

Not can't contribute, but just not outstanding over any other guy... To me many have argued around it, but an NFL coach puts it in such a way, with his expertise that seems to conclude a discusion that has gone on for years about the new #83...

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood