Our Draft Picks

tecmobowlbills

While it takes a few years to grade a draft class, it is pathetic how few of our picks are playing and contributing:

1st round : Spiller - 1 carry and 3 receptions yesterday

2nd round : Troup - How many snaps was he in for?

3rd round : Carrington - Didn't even dress

4th round : Easley - Out for the year

5th round : Wang - Hurt early on and remains to be seen if he will play this year

6th round : Moats - 2 tackles this year

6th round : Batten - Cut

7th round : Brown - Cut

7th round : Calloway - Cut

How can we get any better when we have basically no help from this years draft class.

Way too early for any serious evaluation of the draft class, but one thing does continue to surprise me: 2 picks (albeit 7th-rounders) cut in preseason and not invited to the practice squad. That's somewhat rare, especially when you consider that it's the first year of a new regime. Typically new regimes do some housecleaning with the roster, getting rid of a bunch of the previous regime's guys, and bringing in their own guys. Every draft pick is by default one of the new regime's guys, but 2 of them were unceremoniously shown the door. It's not really a good or bad thing, it's just unusual.

And for what it's worth, DTs, especially nose tackles, usually take some time to develop. I like what I've seen of Troup so far, but he's not going to be an impact player as a rookie.

While it takes a few years to grade a draft class, it is pathetic how few of our picks are playing and contributing:

1st round : Spiller - 1 carry and 3 receptions yesterday

2nd round : Troup - How many snaps was he in for?

3rd round : Carrington - Didn't even dress

4th round : Easley - Out for the year

5th round : Wang - Hurt early on and remains to be seen if he will play this year

6th round : Moats - 2 tackles this year

6th round : Batten - Cut

7th round : Brown - Cut

7th round : Calloway - Cut

How can we get any better when we have basically no help from this years draft class.

This years? How about the previous 9 years of picks?

M. (how big?) Williams 1R

J. Reed 2R (initially good, then went into dropsy land, then got good again and let him go)

W. McGagme 1R

C. Kelsify 2R

L. Evans 1R(will somebody throw me the ball)

JP. Loseman 1R

R. (the thought of using him) Parish 2R

D. Witless 1R

J. MaCargo 1R

M. (where's my pipe, my gun, and where do I turn?) Lynch 1R (a quasi-pro-bowl player)

P. (hurt me) Posluszny 2R

L. Mckelvin (too early to tell?) 1R

J. (see ya) Hardly 2R

A. Maybe 1R

E. Wood (maybe a Pro-bowl player) 1R

J. Byrd (A real Pro-bowl player) 2R

A. Levitre (too early to tell) 2R

We have 11 of these guys on the 2010 team, and other than Byrd, very little to show for it.

The Hardy and possibly the Maybin picks hurt, lots. But man was 2002-06 a dead zone. All the first-day talent they seem to have gotten out of that period was Lee Evans. 2007-2009 look like bountiful harvests in comparison.

You can't judge the 2010 picks by their performance thus far, though. That's just dumb. If the Packers had done that in 2005 do you think Rodgers would be kicking so much ass right now? I know, I know, he was sitting behind Favre, but there were plenty wondering if he had the goods after a few years sitting behind #4.

PS Mabden: McKelvin is a player.

some of those picks weren't bad... mcgahee was not a *good* pick, but we got some production and later traded him for some value anyways. Poz is not great, but as a 2nd rounder decent qualifies as an alright pick. kelsay was an okay pick as a 2nd rounder as well (despite being a little overpaid and playing more over the slightly better Denney). Wood was a good pick i think... and McKelvin not too bad.

we don't get great players unfortunately, but we do get a lot of use out of most of them. not too many just plain couldn't play in the NFL... most started full season or more. that's something (though guessing no one is actually looking for anything positive at this point).