Improvement

C.Biscuit97

I love this board but I make it a point to avoid it as much as possible this week. The same goes for the minor league media coverage here. And believe it or not, not just just listening to constant negativity didn't put me in a crappy mood all week.

I'm about as optimist of a Bills fan as there is. But even I didn't think we were going to the playoffs. The key to the season was to see a growth in our offense and getting comfortable with a new defense. After the Washington preseason opener, people were jumping off bridges. However, the team improved throughout the rest of the preseason games.

Last week sucked but the key now is to see improvement. No ones expects the Bills to win but there are a lot of key things to look for.

1) Run defense - Last year, we ranked 30th in average ypa at 4.7. Against a very good running team in Miami, we gave up 3.7. That's a great start in the first game of new defense.

Additionally, this week becomes doubly important. If the Bills can stuff Brandon Jackson and make GB nervous about their backs going forward, Lynch's value to them goes up. This could be very interesting.

2) Pass defense - They looked like one of the best secondaries last year. This is about as big of a test as there will be this year besides Brady and the Pats. We shut down Brees last year, so we could make things hard for Rodgers as well.

3) Oline - I was at the game so I didn't get to watch it very carefully. I do know that Green should be cut. But for the rest of the oline, there is a lot of youth and run for growth.

4) CJ Spiller - Got his first taste being game planned against. I believe after his first 7 carries, Chris Johnson had 1 yard or something before going off. The sign of a great player is not having 2 bad games in a roll.

5) Chan the man - He admitted he didn't get the job done (though I think the QB didn't allow the plan to work all the team either). But given his reputation, he needs to make adjustments and get a better offense together.

So I'm not ready to cancel the season just yet. I think if this team improves throughout the year, we will all feel much better and hopefully we will get our new QB a good situation to step into.

I love this board but I make it a point to avoid it as much as possible this week. The same goes for the minor league media coverage here. And believe it or not, not just just listening to constant negativity didn't put me in a crappy mood all week.

I'm about as optimist of a Bills fan as there is. But even I didn't think we were going to the playoffs. The key to the season was to see a growth in our offense and getting comfortable with a new defense. After the Washington preseason opener, people were jumping off bridges. However, the team improved throughout the rest of the preseason games.

Last week sucked but the key now is to see improvement. No ones expects the Bills to win but there are a lot of key things to look for.

1) Run defense - Last year, we ranked 30th in average ypa at 4.7. Against a very good running team in Miami, we gave up 3.7. That's a great start in the first game of new defense.

Additionally, this week becomes doubly important. If the Bills can stuff Brandon Jackson and make GB nervous about their backs going forward, Lynch's value to them goes up. This could be very interesting.

2) Pass defense - They looked like one of the best secondaries last year. This is about as big of a test as there will be this year besides Brady and the Pats. We shut down Brees last year, so we could make things hard for Rodgers as well.

3) Oline - I was at the game so I didn't get to watch it very carefully. I do know that Green should be cut. But for the rest of the oline, there is a lot of youth and run for growth.

4) CJ Spiller - Got his first taste being game planned against. I believe after his first 7 carries, Chris Johnson had 1 yard or something before going off. The sign of a great player is not having 2 bad games in a roll.

5) Chan the man - He admitted he didn't get the job done (though I think the QB didn't allow the plan to work all the team either). But given his reputation, he needs to make adjustments and get a better offense together.

So I'm not ready to cancel the season just yet. I think if this team improves throughout the year, we will all feel much better and hopefully we will get our new QB a good situation to step into.

Glad to hear from you again biscuit. I usually don't agree with you but it's always inviting to see your alternative viewpoints.

(1) Run defense looked good. Wondering how much of that had to do with Miami's poor passing attack? Nevertheless, encouraging since we haven't been able to stop a team's running attack in years.

(3) Funny how we can all see how Green really sucks. If I recall correctly, many fans here were on board saying Green was a decent RT. Wondering if they still feel the same way? Kudos for Nix, the great talent evaluator at San Diego. I saw the game and I am here to tell you the OL sucked. They got pushed around and manhandled by the Fins. No other way to put it. Little pass protection and no running lanes were created. Grade F. You bet the OL is young and have room to grow. No where but to go up after that debacle.

(4) CJ Spiller, Chris Johnson, Adrian Peterson, etc wouldn't have been effective running the ball with that kind of blocking and the Fins stacking the line. We will see this all season long. Our running backs have little chance of being successful with our inadequate QB, OL, and WR. It is easy to game plan against the Bills offense. Funny how so many posters here told me how Gailey would be prepared for the other teams stacking the line. Game one over and he was clueless, made little effective adjustments, and maybe he has realized the lack of talent he possses especially at the QB and OL positions. Wake up Chan and show us something.

(5) Chan the man? Chan the man looked like a little lost sheep on the sidelines. His reputation was that of an innovative offensive minded coach. I saw nothing of the sort. He was out coached and very "Juaron like" in his opening game. I couldn't have been more shocked at his lack of preparation and creativity. His grade was an "F." He no longer deserves a "free pass." I remember a poster here from GT telling us that Gailey wasn't that good and the fans of GT weren't impressed by his coaching skills. Maybe we all should have listened to him.

Winning games this season. Most of the experts and posters here have been saying how bad we were gonna be. Many of you failed to face the truth and instead chose to believe each others unrealistic viewpoints. When other here tried to offer a differing opinion it was often met with some kind of troll comment. You stated in your post "no one expects the Bills to win." Well, Biscuit, I beg to differ with you. Lots of people on this board expected the Bills to win. Perhaps some still do? Remember all the predictions? Bills 10-6 and 9-7/playoff bound, shock the NFL, first or second in the division, etc...You too had high expectations of this team. Now, the tone has suddenly changed from winning to lets hope for improvements. Funny, how so many posters have gotten tortured for having a similiar viewpoint during camp and preseason...

Edited by mpl6876

I really like this post Biscuit, I really do. As much as last week sucked, what did we really expect this season? We need to be looking for growth, and we need to understand that this team has been horribly mismanaged for the better part of ten years, and you just can't turn that around overnight. People need to come back off the ledge and understand that there is work that needs to be done here. It's gonna take time. As much as that sucks to say after ten miserable years, it's true.

<...> Last week sucked but the key now is to see improvement. No ones expects the Bills to win but there are a lot of key things to look for.

+1 :thumbsup:

I'm going to say something heretical here: despite my natural desire that the Bills fillet the Phins at every opportunity, I thought last week's result was good.

They lost, but lost a close, winnable game not a blow-out.

Chan has to rebuild a winning culture here as well as the talent on the football team.

We need players who will execute the game plan and who know they will be held accountable if they don't.

(I had the impression if players failed to execute under Jauron, he patted them on the back and said "there, there, I know you tried!")

I'd be shocked if everyone on the team is "with the program" as far as extent and depth of game preparation and the need to accept coaching as yet.

If we had won, I think it would have lulled some personnel into a false sense of security, "see, we've done enough".

If we'd been blown out, it would have been discouraging.

Instead, we lost but it was within reach -- the optimal result to "serve as a wake-up call" and hopefully motivate coaches and players to take it to the next level.

So we'll see. You're right, if we see improvement, that will be the key.