The Measure of an Offense

Back in the day when men were men, children walked 3 miles to school through snowbanks uphill both ways,

and the Bills went to the playoffs year after year, I recall games where we scored >300 yards offense -----

and lost.

Typically I could look at the box score and see something that would stick out --- like 5 turnovers and 4 sacks, or a total lack of 3rd down conversions.

That was the start of my view, maybe ranking teams by total offensive yardage isn't right picture.

The most important thing at the end of the day is -- who won?

What I want to know from the good folks here is: what's your measure of an offense? How do you decide that an offense ranks high or is rank?

Back in the day when men were men, children walked 3 miles to school through snowbanks uphill both ways,

and the Bills went to the playoffs year after year, I recall games where we scored >300 yards offense -----

and lost.

Typically I could look at the box score and see something that would stick out --- like 5 turnovers and 4 sacks, or a total lack of 3rd down conversions.

That was the start of my view, maybe ranking teams by total offensive yardage isn't right picture.

The most important thing at the end of the day is -- who won?

What I want to know from the good folks here is: what's your measure of an offense? How do you decide that an offense ranks high or is rank?

Points scored and time of possession are the most important. If you get points on the board and you keep your defense off the field you will win.

Points scored and time of possession are the most important. If you get points on the board and you keep your defense off the field you will win.

Well, yeah, I get it. But then there's the turnover thing, esp. if the TO results in points for the opponent.

It seems as though there should be an offense rating, like QB rating, that tries to factor it all in somehow.

Maybe there is and I'm missing it?