I spoke to the Buffalo Bills Operations Office today about tailgating

buffalopdc

When the message was posted about new policies at the Ralph including the shutting down of certain tailgates, I contacted the Bills by e-mail with clarification on the matters expressed and much to my surprise I received a call to discuss them today. Highlights of the call:

1. He confirmed that a NFL representative was present at the game on Sunday to insure that the NFL fan code of conduct was not being violated.

2. I was assured that in event to the Bills plan on shutting down anyone's tailgate (and certainly not the Pinto Party) unless it involves illegal activities that require removal from the property;

3. They are seeking "responsible" tailgating and the NFL rep felt that the bowling shots falls outside the the code of conduct. They want it toned down but not to stop. I think they are trying to limit the drunks.

Problem is that the "NFL Code of Conduct" speaks in vague esoteric terms and, like most, codes of conduct (a/k/a law) are subject to interpretation.

When the message was posted about new policies at the Ralph including the shutting down of certain tailgates, I contacted the Bills by e-mail with clarification on the matters expressed and much to my surprise I received a call to discuss them today. Highlights of the call:

1. He confirmed that a NFL representative was present at the game on Sunday to insure that the NFL fan code of conduct was not being violated.

2. I was assured that in event to the Bills plan on shutting down anyone's tailgate (and certainly not the Pinto Party) unless it involves illegal activities that require removal from the property;

3. They are seeking "responsible" tailgating and the NFL rep felt that the bowling shots falls outside the the code of conduct. They want it toned down but not to stop. I think they are trying to limit the drunks.

Problem is that the "NFL Code of Conduct" speaks in vague esoteric terms and, like most, codes of conduct (a/k/a law) are subject to interpretation.

To be honest, I enjoyed the NFL much more (All the way around), when it was not such a business. Basically up until the new Millennium...Just my opinion...

It started in 93 for me when they allowed Free agency. The Bills were a friggin powerhouse when Polian was allowed to just draft.

Free agency has not impacted Polian's ability to acquire talent, by the draft or otherwise.

The Bills, however, have not been as successful since relying on Mel Kiper's magazine to conduct their draft,

To be honest, I enjoyed the NFL much more (All the way around), when it was not such a business. Basically up until the new Millennium...Just my opinion...

I haven't posted in forever... but you're dead on with this. Since the early 00's, it's felt a lot more commercial. Even the advertising. Kick off, commercial, first down, commercial, 4th down, commercial, punt, commercial, first down... rinse and repeat. Even some of the news shows have had the air of WWE to me. I just want good old fashioned football, with good old fashioned tailgating. I'm drawn more and more to the NHL due to a lot of that stuff. That said, guys drunk enough to pay for a ticket and puke themselves kinda piss me off. As long as they don't barf on me, to each their own.

Edited by mcjeff215

It is slightly concerning that some random NFL douche can patrol the parking lots and just determine what he/she thinks is "excessive" tailgating. So are shots ok, just not bowling ball shots? Is beer ok, but not liquor? This is a dangerous precedent that the NFL is setting.

Lets face it. The people that are going to get drunk are going to get drunk, no matter what rules the put in place. Those of us who are there to have a good time and drink some adult beverages in moderation are the ones that are going to suffer when some anal-retentive NFL employee decides that we are partying "too much" for their tastes.

"2. I was assured that in event to the Bills plan on shutting down anyone's tailgate..."

Can you say that again in English?

Sorry for the typo. They said they have no interest in shutting down any tailgate unless it involves illegal activity.