Question about NFL Lockout and the Draft

MRW

I was just wondering if anyone knows what happens to the draft if, as seems likely, there's a lockout next year. Does next year's draft proceed as normal? What about the one after that? Would one of them potentially be canceled? If there's a lockout but both next year's draft and the year after occur as normal, how does draft ordering work the year after there is no NFL?

I was just wondering if anyone knows what happens to the draft if, as seems likely, there's a lockout next year. Does next year's draft proceed as normal? What about the one after that? Would one of them potentially be canceled? If there's a lockout but both next year's draft and the year after occur as normal, how does draft ordering work the year after there is no NFL?

I have read in a few spots that all drafts would proceed as normal.

The draft is in April. The lockout wouldn't happen until July. The draft will go on as usual.

The NFL is not hockey. Anyone who thinks the NFL would go a whole season without playing doesn't understand the reason why the NHL could afford to miss a season (too many teams were losing money)vs the profitable NFL.

The draft is in April. The lockout wouldn't happen until July. The draft will go on as usual.

The NFL is not hockey. Anyone who thinks the NFL would go a whole season without playing doesn't understand the reason why the NHL could afford to miss a season (too many teams were losing money)vs the profitable NFL.

OK, but assume for the sake of argument that next season is canceled. What happens in the draft after that? Each team retains their position from the 2011 draft?

I was just wondering if anyone knows what happens to the draft if, as seems likely, there's a lockout next year.  Does next year's draft proceed as normal?  What about the one after that?  Would one of them potentially be canceled?  If there's a lockout but both next year's draft and the year after occur as normal, how does draft ordering work the year after there is no NFL?

there will be no lockout.

The owners will bargain to an impasse and then impose the last proposal as the new rules.

The players can play or strike, but the owners will not lock them out.

The NFLPA will then de-ceretify and some players will sue the league for anti-trust restraint of trade violations caused by the draft & free agency rules

Right. 2011 Draft would proceed as normal. My question is would anyone drafted actually sign if it looks like there is not going to be a season? With talk about a rookie salary cap in the next CBA, I could see where a player is drafted and the contract money is really reduced and they don't really want to go to the team they were drafted by, why sign? Play a year in the CFL or UFL. If there is no season, would they just go back into the 2012 draft or would their rights be retained by the team that drafted them in 2011?

If the players decertify the union, there can't be a lockout. The players could strike though and then the NFL could use replacement players. Where's Falco?

Another question is what happens in 2012? Do they go with the 2011 draft order, pull ping pong balls out of the hopper? If they go with the 2011 order, it's possible the Bills could have back to back #1 overall picks. Ah, they could have that anyway.

there will be no lockout.

The owners will bargain to an impasse and then impose the last proposal as the new rules.

The players can play or strike, but the owners will not lock them out.

The NFLPA will then de-ceretify and some players will sue the league for anti-trust restraint of trade violations caused by the draft & free agency rules

Labor Law 101. Excellent post!!!