Offensive penalty on the last play of the game

Simon

The Sunday night game just ended with the last play of the game being a Cowboy TD taken away by a holding penalty.

I think if the defensive team accepts the penalty, it should be assessed and you have to run another play. Ending a game like that on a play that doesn't even count just feels wrong.

The Sunday night game just ended with the last play of the game being a Cowboy TD taken away by a holding penalty.

I think if the defensive team accepts the penalty, it should be assessed and you have to run another play. Ending a game like that on a play that doesn't even count just feels wrong.

That's a good point.

But it's not the defense's fault one of their players was held. It was a bad hold on a guy who otherwise would've turfed Romo.

He might have got him and he might not have; nobody can say.

But making them play another play with the penalty yardage tacked on is not punishing the defense when you've already nullified teh game-winning TD for them.

But making them play another play with the penalty yardage tacked on is not punishing the defense when you've already nullified teh game-winning TD for them.

Now that I think about it, didn't there used to be a rule where a game couldn't end on a penalty?

Sure it is. There's no more time left on the clock. By giving the offense another play, you're essentially putting more time on the clock for them & giving them another chance just because they committed a penalty. That's penalizing the defense.

Edited by BlueFire

Sure it is. There's no more time left on the clock. By giving the offense another play, you're essentially putting more time on the clock for them & giving them another chance just because they committed a penalty. That's penalizing the defense.

I don't think it's penalizing them at all when you've already bailed them out by wiping the game winning TD off the board. If they held up and were in position to decline the penalty, then sure the game's over. But if they need to accept the penalty to save their bacon, they've already been adequately rewarded by the flag and should at least have to make a legitimate stop at the end so the last play of the game at least actually counts.

I don't think it's penalizing them at all when you've already bailed them out by wiping the game winning TD off the board. If they held up and were in position to decline the penalty, then sure the game's over. But if they need to accept the penalty to save their bacon, they've already been adequately rewarded by the flag and should at least have to make a legitimate stop at the end so the last play of the game at least actually counts.

What about a situation where the penalty blatantly allowed the offense to score?

Say a WR tackles the DB before making the game winning catch. Your rule would allow the offense to undeservedly take another shot.

I think the rule is fine as is.

This is crazy. Why not just make accepting all penalties mandatory then? Orapko did what he was supposed to do which is to cause havoc and get after the QB, and since he did such a good job he forced the o-lineman to hold him. That's how you play defense, don't penalize Washington because Dallas f'd up.

They didn't get bailed out at all. The TD would never have happened without the hold. Even if the penalty had nothing to do with the TD, it still shouldn't matter. Replaying the down would be rewarding the penalty more than anything less than a touchdown. Not removing the time would be encouraging players to try to get away with penalties until they finally do get the touchdown, knowing they would have infinite reprieves if caught.

watching that last play for the Cowboys I couldn't help but think,...jeez the back up tackle got flagged for holding and the guy being held was Brian Orakpo

Cowboys suspect O line cost them the game ... Orakpo vs Maybin

Let's say Dallas got another play, and won. The opposite side of the coin is that Orakpo likely would have had a sack on the previous play, and you just saved the offensive's bacon by giving them another play.

Personally, I think the fairest way in that situation is to go by the clock, which is what they do now and what they did tonight.