Why is it so hard to find a QB?

How is it that the Packers were so easily able to transition from Favre to Rogers while teams like the Bills go 12+ years without a real QB? Are they really so rare of a commodity that even competent QBing is impossible to find? Help me understand how one team could struggle so long at finding the most crucial element of a football team...

or am I just pissing into the wind?

How is it that the Packers were so easily able to transition from Favre to Rogers while teams like the Bills go 12+ years without a real QB? Are they really so rare of a commodity that even competent QBing is impossible to find? Help me understand how one team could struggle so long at finding the most crucial element of a football team...

maybe they had a few or have a few now, seems like the Oline has been as bad as long as the QB's have...perhaps that's not a coincidence...or maybe there is a direct correlation.

The Packers drafted a falling QB near the end of the first round, and then were able to let him sit and learn behind a future HOF'er. By the time Rodgers made his first start he had something like three years in the system. You guys, not having a solid QB to start with, don't have the luxury so either you would pick up a free agent QB, or draft a rookie and start him early. Further more Rodgers took over a team that was playoff caliber with a stable front office, two things that I think even the most die hard Bills fan would agree you don't have.

SSDD

You want extreme irony here? Tom Donahoe traded up to get JP Losman in part because he felt the following years QB class was weak and because GB was rumored to be interested in JP. As fate would have it we get JP Losman one year and GB gets Aaron Rodgers the next. How'd that work out? :wallbash:

It's not luck. We're too cheap to draft a first round QB to the big money they demand. Ralph would rather have 4 years with an obviously incapable QB and lose 10 games a year than have to pay a rookie at a high price. It wouldn't surprise me if we went with another third round QB next year. Maybe I'm planning too far ahead but they way the Bills have drafted the past decade it wouldn't shock me at the least.

You want extreme irony here?  Tom Donahoe traded up to get JP Losman in part because he felt the following years QB class was weak and because GB was rumored to be interested in JP. As fate would have it we get JP Losman one year and GB gets Aaron Rodgers the next.  How'd that work out?  :wallbash:

to make it worse, GB took Rodgers one pick after the Bills pick that was given to Dallas for Losman

The Packers drafted a falling QB near the end of the first round, and then were able to let him sit and learn behind a future HOF'er. By the time Rodgers made his first start he had something like three years in the system. You guys, not having a solid QB to start with, don't have the luxury so either you would pick up a free agent QB, or draft a rookie and start him early. Further more Rodgers took over a team that was playoff caliber with a stable front office, two things that I think even the most die hard Bills fan would agree you don't have.

SSDD

So how did the Steelers manage with Roethlisberger and the Falcons with Ryan? As crazy as it sounds, rookie QBs who start their first year can be effective.

It's all about picking the right guy. The Bills had a shot at Matt Schaub, but they targeted Losman, who spent a year behind Bledsoe, which didn't help. And because they had Losman, they let Rodgers fall by them the next year.

It's all about the evaluation process. If you have scouts and a GM who know what they're doing, it's a hell of a lot easier to draft a QB, or RB, or LB.

And it's not just the Bills. Hell, Miami had two shots at Brees, in the draft and when he was a free agent, and they passed on him twice, choosing to sign Culpepper as a FA.

Hopefully when the Bills decided to pick up their next QB, Nix and Co. know what they're doing. Because if the Bills whiff on their next choice, the Bills could be looking at 15-20 years of missing the playoffs.

It's not luck. We're too cheap to draft a first round QB to the big money they demand. Ralph would rather have 4 years with an obviously incapable QB and lose 10 games a year than have to pay a rookie at a high price. It wouldn't surprise me if we went with another third round QB next year. Maybe I'm planning too far ahead but they way the Bills have drafted the past decade it wouldn't shock me at the least.

Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They drafted the first round QB and he sucked all the while setting back the team another three years. JP isn't even in the league anymore.

They should have drafted a QB earlier than the 7th round this year. They should have drafted a QB last year to compete with Trent.

They should have gone after Brees as has been documented in the past.

They should have claimed Leinart on waivers. I would sign Troy Smith this week now that his salary would not be guaranteed.

Unless Luck comes out I would not take Mallet or Locher and instead take an OT or LB in round one.

First off the team has to suck bad enough to get a high pick. Then you need a staff that can actually evaluate QB's worth a damn. Then you actually have to draft and (Gasp inserted here by Ralph....) PAY the guy. Then over time you put talent around him to help him develop.

Seriously, I was wondering this same exact thing watching the highlights of the day prior to the Sunday Night game.

Aaron Rodgers was barely drafted. He was considered a flop replacing Favre.

At the time, I can remember the Pack having problems on the O line, LB, WR, and RB. Their defensive line was also in somewhat of a shambles.

All of sudden, the Packers are once again strong. Who's on that team?

Besides Mr. "I-have a steroid loaded syringe in my butt right now" Matthews, is there anyone of stature on that roster?

I give them credit.

Now how is it the Packers can come back from obscurity in a couple of years, and we've been floundering for a decade?

Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They drafted the first round QB and he sucked all the while setting back the team another three years. JP isn't even in the league anymore.

They should have drafted a QB earlier than the 7th round this year. They should have drafted a QB last year to compete with Trent.

They should have gone after Brees as has been documented in the past.

They should have claimed Leinart on waivers. I would sign Troy Smith this week now that his salary would not be guaranteed.

Unless Luck comes out I would not take Mallet or Locher and instead take an OT or LB in round one.

You forgot about the 1st rounder we gave to our division rivals for Drew Bledsoe.

Yeah, those were some shrewd dealings. 2 1st round picks spent on failed QB's within 3 years.

I like the Brees argument. Right now, the only QB I think that could help us is Garcia.