Bills Fins Summary

As an escape from the inevitable Trent stinks, Chan stinks, Spiller is a bust, Lynch stinks bravado that is sure to come, I noted some general observations of my own.

Defense:

The Defense looked just as good as last season with the addition of some looks that got pressure to the QB.

When it came to stopping the run in the 4th the quarter, it appears there is still some work to do. It looked a lot like someone figured out if you get your arms up around Henne it will buy the rush time to get there.

Mckelvin may have played his best game as a Bill. He was outstanding when he drew Marshall's number.

Poz is hurt again. The guy just can't stay healthy. Man I miss London Fletcher.

The D looked as good in the fourth quarter as they did in the first. Seems like a tougher camp was just what the doctor ordered.

Offense:

Nelson showed why he made the roster over Hardy. He seems to get open ad make some plays.

Spiller got his first glimpse of real NFL defensive speed and that he will not be able to outrun CB's and LB's for the home run. Marshawn Lynch is the best #3 back in the league, period.

The O-Line has so much work to do. Consecutive holding calls negated an outstanding completion to Nelson deep over the middle.

The outside hitch to Evans may have been one of the best throws I can remember from Trent. It was an NFL throw. The throw to Parrish was a great read and nice throw. The last two series made me forget all of that. How do you not just throw it up at that point? "Cocky gun slinger wanted"

Special teams:

Kicking game is still a strength. Are there any questions as to why the team extended Corey McIntyre? He was a Special teams standout.

Coaching:

Chan Gailey showed that he can make in game adjustments in the 4th quarter which resulted in one of the best drives of the game. That 4th and 11 throw to Parish for 6 is a play DJ would not have even called in practice.

A lot of people are going to gripe about the safety. It was playing to win. That is what playing to win means. You take some chances, accept what you can do well and try to create a chance. I mean come on. After the first 3 series, even if the a 4th down play was converted, it was clear that the moxie needed to will the team to a win was not under center. I think Chan now knows what he has got now. I expect to see some changes very soon.

Outlook:

This schedule is tough. They could easily play very good football and still go into Jacksonville 0-4.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

As an escape from the inevitable Trent stinks, Chan stinks, Spiller is a bust, Lynch stinks bravado that is sure to come, I noted some general observations of my own.

Defense:

The Defense looked just as good as last season with the addition of some looks that got pressure to the QB.

When it came to stopping the run in the 4th the quarter, it appears there is still some work to do. It looked a lot like someone figured out if you get your arms up around Henne it will buy the rush time to get there.

Mckelvin may have played his best game as a Bill. He was outstanding when he drew Marshall's number.

Poz is hurt again. The guy just can't stay healthy. Man I miss London Fletcher.

The D looked as good in the fourth quarter as they did in the first. Seems like a tougher camp was just what the doctor ordered.

Offense:

Nelson showed why he made the roster over Hardy. He seems to get open ad make some plays.

Spiller got his first glimpse of real NFL defensive speed and that he will not be able to outrun CB's and LB's for the home run. Marshawn Lynch is the best #3 back in the league, period.

The O-Line has so much work to do. Consecutive holding calls negated an outstanding completion to Nelson deep over the middle.

The outside hitch to Evans may have been one of the best throws I can remember from Trent. It was an NFL throw. The throw to Parrish was a great read and nice throw. The last two series made me forget all of that. How do you not just throw it up at that point? "Cocky gun slinger wanted"

Special teams:

Kicking game is still a strength. Are there any questions as to why the team extended Corey McIntyre? He was a Special teams standout.

Coaching:

Chan Gailey showed that he can make in game adjustments in the 4th quarter which resulted in one of the best drives of the game. That 4th and 11 throw to Parish for 6 is a play DJ would not have even called in practice.

A lot of people are going to gripe about the safety. It was playing to win. That is what playing to win means. You take some chances, accept what you can do well and try to create a chance. I mean come on. After the first 3 series, even if the a 4th down play was converted, it was clear that the moxie needed to will the team to a win was not under center. I think Chan now knows what he has got now. I expect to see some changes very soon.

Outlook:

This schedule is tough. They could easily play very good football and still go into Jacksonville 0-4.

all true. Chan DOES now know what he has. I think Trent only has 2-3 more games to show something of that. 0-4 (0-3 in the afce) would be the end of our season. If Trent dosent streach the field he will be finished

Edited by saundena

If I'm Gailey, as much as I hate to lose - and this goes for Nix, too - this game was what I'd call Bad Medicine. We can say the players looked this way and that during practice and preseason, but playing for real is obviously a much different animal. That being said, my own view on our strengths and weaknesses has only changed a little. What we need to upgrade after this year - and this game really made me realize how outmatched we are in some critical areas, and what a good NFL team should look like:

We need a new QB. That is my first item to change, and it is as much because of the way he looks, his body language, as it is his play. He looks defeated, he looks scared, he doesn't look like he wants to have the ball in his hands with a minute left and a chance to go down the field to score. He is beat mentally, looks to check down automatically, and simply doesn't have the mental toughness to be a Leader. I say, try Brian Brohm now. We need to know what we have there before next year.

We need upgrades on the line. Obviously at tackle, but I suspect maybe center as well. Our guards didn't look very good either. I'm just hoping that Wood and Levitre are good enough; at that, we need to upgrade the O-line. If I'm Nix, I don't know if I go LT first or QB. Probably QB, LT, and after that load up on linebackers and O-linemen.

We need a true number one reciever. If we had a guy like Brandon Marshall, or Fitzgerald, or C.Johnson then the rest of our recieving corps would be great in their secondary roles. Evans as the 2 on the outside, with everyone else in there on multiple WR sets. Of course, Nelson is out as TE, but it looks like until our O-line improves, we wont be using a TE for a reciever role.

The defense looked pretty good, in all. I don't like the play of our safeties that much, and I don't like the play of half our linebackers. I think, though, that if we picked up a stud OLB then we could get by with everyone else - the defense wasn't the problem today; They, as has been the frustrating case for over a year now, gave the team a chance to win right up to the end.

So, if I'm looking for changes it would go as follows, in this order: QB, LT, OLB, WR, C, MLB. Between F.A. and the draft, we should be able to patch up the leaks and create a good, competitive team next year. If the QB's a rookie, we're probably looking at year 3 of Gailey and Nix's regime for a S.B. shot.

That's some Bad Medicine.

If I'm Gailey, as much as I hate to lose - and this goes for Nix, too - this game was what I'd call Bad Medicine. We can say the players looked this way and that during practice and preseason, but playing for real is obviously a much different animal. That being said, my own view on our strengths and weaknesses has only changed a little. What we need to upgrade after this year - and this game really made me realize how outmatched we are in some critical areas, and what a good NFL team should look like:

That's some Bad Medicine.

I could not agree more. What they saw gave them reason to believe they put the best guy on the field. But those last two series erased every good play I saw from the QB today, which there were actually 4 or 5. You gotta throw it up when there is nothing to lose.

Spiller needs room to operate. His problem was the Olline not blocking. He had a tackler on him before he even got the ball.

I can't believe the Oline could playworse than last year.

Im not a Trent lover or basher. I just want a QB. Based on one game Trent can't see his receivers. If he can't improve we may have to sit him down.

PTR