Edwards and his injuries

Bored at work, I just checked out Edwards wikipedia page and it's really quite startling. I knew the dude was injury prone, but I guess I never fully realized the extent. Check out his injuries at Stanford and then with the Bills. He literally gets injuries, which keep him out of entire games, twice a season, save for one season in college. Kind of troubling. I still like his upside, his accuracy, intelligence, etc., but can you ever really count on this guy to be THE guy even if he's playing well? Not so sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trent_Edwards

It doesn't mention it at Stanford but they sucked on the Oline too. You could call this thread Edwards and his crappy Olines. Yeah he get injured when he is sacked all the time, he does well when he is not. :doh:

He isn't Aaron Rodgers.

I really hope they can protect him this year (and he looks bigger this year too, hope that helps as well) because yeah, he does have health issues if he is not.

Scary.

I have my fingers crossed that he will be able to stay healthy for the whole season and that Chan will make a man out of him.

But I am not counting on it.

It doesn't mention it at Stanford but they sucked on the Oline too. You could call this thread Edwards and his crappy Olines. Yeah he get injured when he is sacked all the time, he does well when he is not. :doh:

He isn't Aaron Rodgers.

I really hope they can protect him this year (and he looks bigger this year too, hope that helps as well) because yeah, he does have health issues if he is not.

wondering if it is possible that Trent's slow reading of defenses makes the job of his O-line harder.

Is it possible that Trent's problem is not crappy o-lines but slow decision making? So, in order to avoid getting injured, he has grown accustomed to rushing through his progressions and quickly dumping the ball to the back?

I am not saying that he has been playing being the greatest of O-lines, merely suggesting that his poor play made the lackluster O-lines even worse.

This was actually my first live game, it was glorious and VERY snowy.

Week 14: vs. Miami Dolphins

Total

Dolphins

Bills

at Ralph Wilson Stadium, Orchard Park, New York

Game time: 1:00 p.m. EST

Game weather: 30°F (Cloudy with snow)

Game attendance: 71,018

Referee: Scott Green

TV announcers (CBS): Ian Eagle (play-by-play) & Solomon Wilcots (color commentator)

Coming off their road win over the Redskins, the Bills went home, donned their throwbacks again, and played a Week 14 AFC East rematch with the still-winless Miami Dolphins. In the first quarter, Buffalo drew first blood with rookie QB Trent Edwards completing a 13-yard TD pass and a 28-yard TD pass to TE Robert Royal. Afterwards, the Bills continued their early pounding as Safety George Wilson returned a fumble 20 yards for a touchdown. The Dolphins would get on the board with RB Samkon Gado getting a 12-yard TD run, yet Buffalo would answer right back with kicker Rian Lindell getting a 51-yard field goal, setting a new Buffalo Bills record for 18 consecutive field goals (beating Steve Christie's old record of 17; Lindell would later miss wide left from 46). In the second quarter, the Bills continued their domination with Edwards completing a 9-yard TD pass to WR Lee Evans for the only score of the period.

In the third quarter, Miami tried to rally as Gado got a 20-yard TD run, while kicker Jay Feely nailed a 41-yard field goal. In the fourth quarter, Buffalo would put the game away as Edwards hooked up with Evans again on a 70-yard TD pass to secure a season-sweep.

With the win, the Bills improved to 7-6.

Buffalo's 24 first-quarter points became their most since 1992.

Bored at work, I just checked out Edwards wikipedia page and it's really quite startling. I knew the dude was injury prone, but I guess I never fully realized the extent. Check out his injuries at Stanford and then with the Bills. He literally gets injuries, which keep him out of entire games, twice a season, save for one season in college. Kind of troubling. I still like his upside, his accuracy, intelligence, etc., but can you ever really count on this guy to be THE guy even if he's playing well? Not so sure.

I'm pretty sure if most of us had taken the hits Trent has taken with Stanford and the Bills we would be collecting disability checks.

I think he is a pretty gutsy player.

Scary.

I have my fingers crossed that he will be able to stay healthy for the whole season and that Chan will make a man out of him.

wondering if it is possible that Trent's slow reading of defenses makes the job of his O-line harder.

Is it possible that Trent's problem is not crappy o-lines but slow decision making? So, in order to avoid getting injured, he has grown accustomed to rushing through his progressions and quickly dumping the ball to the back?

I am not saying that he has been playing being the greatest of O-lines, merely suggesting that his poor play made the lackluster O-lines even worse.

At least at Buffalo I think it is a combination of the O-Line and his poor pocket awareness. It is clear that the O-line was bad last year, but Fitz didn't have quite as bad a time behind the line because he has good mobility and awareness of what is going on. Trent just seemed to fold up or not realize pressure was on it's way. If preseason is any indication I think he has improved in those areas a bit, and maybe can make a whole season?

Guest dog14787

At least at Buffalo I think it is a combination of the O-Line and his poor pocket awareness. It is clear that the O-line was bad last year, but Fitz didn't have quite as bad a time behind the line because he has good mobility and awareness of what is going on. Trent just seemed to fold up or not realize pressure was on it's way. If preseason is any indication I think he has improved in those areas a bit, and maybe can make a whole season?

The proper scheming/play calling and players like CJ Spiller will help TE stay healthy in my opinion.

Scary.

Or as he started out pretty good at it really his first 2 years and then went down the toilet of shame maybe, just maybe it was the coaching? and the porous line which freaked him into becoming Capt Trentitive. Every one does understand that Fitz is a lot more mobile and actually not a terrible QB too, right. PLUS he hadn't gone through the DJ school of making a QB into a hallow shadow of his former self. He was better getting rid of the ball last year, I will concede that point. He wasn't as good as Trent has been when his line is good to middling tho. Fitz might actually be ok behind a good line, who knows.

In past seasons I think the problem was not that simple.

A. He was still learning NFL speed and game.

B. The offensive game plan and concepts were,shall we be frank,not NFL quality.

C. The OL sucked, because of ability and injury.

D. I think Trent is a gamer and held the ball too long trying to make plays.

E. Fitz played OK , but who to say how Trent would have down in the same games .

Fitz is better... well , the head coach does not agrees.

We will all know soon enough...

Guest dog14787

Seriously,Can you really count on any guy when he doesn't get the proper pass protection?

I've said this before and I'll say it again, anyone, I don't care who it is, even Jim Kelly himself is going to get twisted up like a pretzel and slammed to the turf/knocked silly without the proper pass protection.

More like playing Kamikaze QB, so duh, yes, someones going to get injured and its probably going to be the QB

You should be fired for starting threads like this at work :flirt:

Seriously,Can you really count on any guy when he doesn't get the proper pass protection?

I've said this before and I'll say it again, anyone, I don't care who it is, even Jim Kelly himself is going to get twisted up like a pretzel and slammed to the turf/knocked silly without the proper pass protection.

More like playing Kamikaze QB, so duh, yes, someones going to get injured and its probably going to be the QB

You should be fired for starting threads like this at work :flirt:

edwards doesnt have farve like blood. in his 20+ seasons or something like that, he has missed very very very little action.

in 20 years he has never had a bad o-line? There are ways for qbs to "minimize" damage. Scrambling. Fast passes. Eating your doug flutie flakes.

Guest dog14787

edwards doesnt have farve like blood. in his 20+ seasons or something like that, he has missed very very very little action.

in 20 years he has never had a bad o-line? There are ways for qbs to "minimize" damage. Scrambling. Fast passes. Eating your doug flutie flakes.

Brett Favre is an exception to the rule for one and probably the most rugged QB thats ever played the game so whats your point.

I'll bet in all of them 20 years Favre has never seen coaching as horrid as TE's,(except maybe the Jets)

Bad coaching/play calling also gets your QB injured in my opinion.

Edited by dog14787

In past seasons I think the problem was not that simple.

A. He was still learning NFL speed and game.

B. The offensive game plan and concepts were,shall we be frank,not NFL quality.

C. The OL sucked, because of ability and injury.

D. I think Trent is a gamer and held the ball too long trying to make plays.

E. Fitz played OK , but who to say how Trent would have down in the same games .

Fitz is better... well , the head coach does not agrees.

We will all know soon enough...

When did I say that, I just said Fitz was clearly better at avoiding pressure last year behind the same battered line that Edwards struggled. With Gailey and company it looks like Edwards has greatly improved at that aspect and hopefully will play all 16 games.

Brett Favre is an exception to the rule for one and probably the most rugged QB thats ever played the game so whats your point.

I'll bet in all of them 20 years Favre has never seen coaching as horrid as TE's,(except maybe the Jets)

Bad coaching/play calling also gets your QB injured in my opinion.

it "appears" as if we have a good coach now. so hopefully he stays healthy.

The proper scheming/play calling and players like CJ Spiller will help TE stay healthy in my opinion.

Bingo. (Or... I guess for you, Dog... I should say B - I - N - G - 0 !)

Unlike our past coaching regime, Chan will use play-action fakes to freeze the rush and buy Trent an extra second or two to make the throw or at least avoid the big hit. Spiller is probably Trent's best protection.