Who else is worried about the pass rush

Thoner7

I know OL and QB have gotten a lot of attention this off season as weak spots, mainly because they were horrid last season and we didn't address them in the draft. But what about the pass rush? This preseason we basically had none when it was 1st v 1sts

IMO we dont have the talent to go out and create pressure. Kelsay/Maybin/Ellis/Torbor sure aren't scaring anyone. Dwan Edwards seemed to be our best pass rusher this preseason which is not a good sign. Now I was thinking about it and I think the 34 scheme will help, as we can use the scheme to create pressure and not have to rely solely on our players beating their players like last season.

But at the same time when we go to the nickle in passing situations we go back to a 4 man front, and we are back to relying on Maybin/Ellis to beat LTs etc. I think that this is really our Achilles heal. With our secondary, we should be shutting down teams, but with no pass rush their talent is neutralized somewhat because they cant cover for 8 seconds. Hopefully we can figure out a way to dial up the pressure.

After the preseason and seeing Trent and the O improve the pass rush is whats worrying me most, Luckily Long is out so we can beat the Phish

I agree the pass rush was nonexistent during the preseason but I hope I know the reason. We did not use our blitz packages that will be unvailed during the regular season starting on Sunday. The Fins will see our blitzes for the first time and hopefully be shocked and give us a few each half. This new defese has saved its best for when the games count. If after the first game or two we still have no pass rush then I too will be worried.

I'm very worried about the pass rush, or lack thereof. There's literally no one on this team with any sort of reputation as a pass rusher. Where's It going to come from? Kelsay? This team is going to have a very hard time generating QB pressure and sacks. I'm not being negative or cynical when I say this, but the Bills are going to rank last in the league in sacks. I'd guess that Kelsay winds up leading the team in sacks with four.

The Bills hardly blitzed at all last year. Amazingly, even though everyone seems to think Chris Kelsay stinks, and one of the worst ends in the league, there were precisely 10 DEs in the entire league last year that, as the team's second best DE, had more sacks than Kelsay. So only a third of the teams (it was only nine teams since Philly had two #2 ends with more). And a couple of them were only a half sack or one sack better. (The whole list is comprised of mostly known good pass rushers: Mathis, Ray Edwards, Juqua Parker, Trevor Scott, Darren Howard, Alex Brown, Charles Grant, Bertrand Berry, Jonathan Fanene, and Jason Tuck).

Plus Kelsay had more tackles than most of those guys (not that tackles are clear indicators unless you know where they occur, but still. There were only five DEs with more sacks that Schobel, who is obviously gone. Kelsay is going to be decent. He is not going to be great, or spectacular, or a terror on the field, but he shouldn't be a liability either.

I think we'd be jumping to conclusions here if we made claims about any position's level of talent at this point. I think we have to give it three or four weeks - and, ultimately, when the season's over we'll know who needs replaced - there are guys that might "come on", rookies, the last half of the year, so we do have to give it some time.

Also, I don't believe we've seen, even remotely, the kind of defense we'll be using this season. I think the main schemes haven't been shown - and, so going by mere personnel - you've got to like who we have on the line clogging up O-linemen, freeing up holes for Poz, Davis, Mitchell, Maybin, Ellis, Kelsay, Coleman, Moats - those guys will make plays. Not to mention, we have some tough safeties and corners who can get after the QB.

I'm so optimistic about what we haven't seen yet - I really get the impression, and the guys on defense have implied it, too, that the meat of our scheme, and we have to assume all it's blitz packages, will be a surprise to everyone.