Reggie Bush to be stripped of Heisman

papazoid

He should get to keep it. IMO

He should have been punished some other way he did great on the field. That is what the Heisman is for.

College football is a joke and the NFL ought to go to some other farm system. I hate to say it but more like hockey does (which is a joke in it's own way, I know) but seems more transparent somehow at least.

There is just too freaking much money in it. Hell, if the NCAA was realistic they would just pay these guys and get rid of the scholarships. I don't care that they get paid, hell good for them if they did, maybe when they became pros they would be better for it.

While the award is for on field achievement it can only go to an eligible player. Reggie Bush, through his actions, made himself ineligible. So don't think about it as a punishment for off field activities, think about it in terms of taking back an award given by mistake to an ineligible player. Had everybody realized that Bush was ineligible at the time he would have never been allowed on the field in the first place.

Incorrect. Though his actions aided in the RIGHTFUL acts towards USC, their Athletic Department has no one to blame but themselves. Bush was symptomatic of all the problems at USC. Numerous players getting paid, Pete Carroll's questionable recruiting tactics, their false "scholarships".

USC screwed USC. Bush was just along for the ride just like everyone else on that team.

Yep. What's amazing is that they think somehow they can say he didn't win it. What a joke. He won it. That won't change. It's not like he's no longer Miss America and can't finish out his year. He will always have been the winner that year, even if they try to make him an asterisk.

How did RB's parents getting a house and him getting cars/cash make him the best player in college? He didn't tkae PED's. He should keep the trophy.

I would bet my left nut Vince Young got a lot of free and inappropriate stuff too.

BTW I think the players should be paid. NCAA makes billions off these guys and only a handful ever make it to the Pros. I just can't see how it is fair Tim Tebow's likeness can be used by EA sports and not be paid for it. One day an athlete is going to blow out his knee and sue the NCAA. I can't see how the NCAA will be able to defend itself.

Edited by sharper802

There are all sorts of eligibility requirements for student athletes, the ethical rules just being one set.

Who's to say some kid who was academically ineligible in 2005 and couldn't play as a result wouldn't have gone out and won the award over Bush?

Of course the ethical violations didnt make Bush a better or worse player, but making that argument for keeping the award is a non-starter; it doesn't matter. If the violations were discovered at the time, he wouldn't even had been allowed on the field.

There is nothing unjust about imposing retroactive penalties for rule-breaking - our Court system does it; the Ncaa has every right to do it too.

Incorrect. Though his actions aided in the RIGHTFUL acts towards USC, their Athletic Department has no one to blame but themselves. Bush was symptomatic of all the problems at USC. Numerous players getting paid, Pete Carroll's questionable recruiting tactics, their false "scholarships".

USC screwed USC. Bush was just along for the ride just like everyone else on that team.

You know that players at USC got paid by personal account, because the NCAA report named 1 player and 1 player only in the Football program that got illegal benefits and that was Bush. This is what makes the penalties even more ridiculous in my opinion, if they found a # of players sure give them the harsh penalty. But with all the big time players coming through USC and they could find evidence of just 1 Come on

To me the NCAA is hurting current athletes for violations of former athletes, take away all the bowl money and fine them and make them ineligible to recieve money from bowl games for 2 years or so, or make that money go to a general scholarship fund rather than the athletic department.

Taking away scholarships actually saves the program money if calculated over 4 years probably more than what they would make in a BCS bowl, so who is really hurt in all this?? The student athletes who dont get to compete on the highest level, a bowl game, and kids who cant get a scholarship at a top program and maybe still get picked up just because of that and make it big in the NFL ie Matt Cassell

Washington head coach Steve Sarkisian didn't mince words when asked about former USC running back Reggie Bush's decision to return the Heisman Trophy but not apologize.

"He had a chance to apologize, look like the good guy," Sarkisian told ESPN's Shelley Smith. "But in giving it back and not apologizing, he just looks like an idiot again."

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=5585786