Buddy Nix as GM

Trader

"Ralph is cheap"...yet we are far from dead last in player payroll.....in fact, if I remember correctly we are about 11th (can anyone confirm?)..I believe Dean is correct...it is an accounting method only....does not cause the Bills to spend any more or less than anyone else

Now, one could make a point that he has gone cheap for coaches but it's not like we never sign any name free agents (Paup, Spielman, Bledsoe, Spikes, Fletcher, Adams etc)

1. There is no cap this year, so "cash to cap" is basically a meaningless phrase right now.

2. When there was a cap, you will note that many teams, some VERY successful, also operated in a similar "cash to cap" system.

3. When there was a cap, the Bills didn't completely refrain from signing FAs. In fact, many here based the old regime for overpaying for "other teams trash".

4. FAs get to pick what team they sign with. You can't simply order them to play for the Bills. Older vets tend to want to go to already successful teams, teams right on the brink and/or warm weather teams. Yes, I suppose Ralph could overspend on these marginal players to get them to Buffalo, but then aren't they really overpaying for other teams trash?

So, bottom line, cash to cap isn't the issue here and probably wasn't the issue when there was a cap. What you are really trying to say, in many threads in the same clumsy way is, "Ralph is cheap so the Bills suck."

Well, perhaps there is some truth in that. But instead of simply grousing and sounding like you don't have a clue, why not suggest SPECIFIC players who are available and represent an upgrade at their positions? I believe the target positions should be OT and OLB (and perhaps TE) at this point of the process, but you may have other ideas. Keep in mind the Bills are rebuilding and are probably concentrating on getting their younger players experience, but there might be room for the right vet at the right position.

In the Bills first "cash to cap" season they immediately showed a difference in the way they were going to do business: They went out and spent $100 million in free agency. The players they signed and the money paid them was foolish in retrospect ($49 mil to Dockery anyone?), but they actually spent way more than they normally do in FA.

What people are really saying is "sign someone I've heard of or at least with a high Madden score."

PTR

Actually, no, I don't think they are. They want a better O-line.

After the first preseason game, many here were saying "it will be much better once they get their starters (Wood, Green, Bell) back". As it turns out, Wood was the only one worth having back.

Now what?

And what about tight end? This will haunt us.

In the Bills first "cash to cap" season they immediately showed a difference in the way they were going to do business: They went out and spent $100 million in free agency. The players they signed and the money paid them was foolish in retrospect ($49 mil to Dockery anyone?), but they actually spent way more than they normally do in FA.

and because their front office is inept in evaluating talent, they targeted the wrong players, severely overspent, and cut them within 2 years of the big splurge. 

the problem with the Bills, now and for the last 15 years, is the inability to evaluate players - in college, other team's free agents and on their own team. 

no surprise, since the scouting dept has been pretty much intact for the last 10 years

when it is a surprise to the organization that your 2nd round WR never had to adjust his routes in college, you get the idea how weak the scouting and talent evaluation process really is

You hit the nail on the head. Dropping Hardy and keeping this Jones guy was classic money svaer. Cash to Cap ralph will always have us playing behind other teams, even with no cap! Our waiver pikups will be kind that other teams have on practice squads. We will save again. Nix's hands are tied.

What's amazing ... so many on this board thought that Hardy should have gone a long time ago ... he just didn't have what it takes to play the #2 position.

And, here we have a kid who has already shown that he is a good wide-out but in addition plays tough on special teams. So, is there really a question here about "keeping the Jones guy" versus Hardy. This has nothing to do with money ... it has everything to do with getting players on this team who can play.

How many board members wanted the front office to give in to the Peters' blackmail? Those who did might find it interesting to read Philadelphia media comments about Jason's motivation and playing level.

I do not want the Bills to pay mega-bucks to some washed up reject from another team.

I like Buddy Nix's attitude that most FA's are not worth the money they are seeking ... so give them a pass and let's develop what we have.

I think all of the owners pay way too much money out to players who never really build them championship teams. Just as Redskin fans how it feels to spend money on bringing in all the big FA names year after year ... you get to watch obscenely overpaid whining little boys play at half speed.

and because their front office is inept in evaluating talent, they targeted the wrong players, severely overspent, and cut them within 2 years of the big splurge.

the problem with the Bills, now and for the last 15 years, is the inability to evaluate players - in college, other team's free agents and on their own team.

no surprise, since the scouting dept has been pretty much intact for the last 10 years

when it is a surprise to the organization that your 2nd round WR never had to adjust his routes in college, you get the idea how weak the scouting and talent evaluation process really is

The Bills problem has always been a lot more of a talent evaluation problem than a money problem. They signed and most often drafted the wrong guys. John Guy and Overdork were as big a problem for the Bills as Greggo, Mularkey and Jauron. Thank goodness most all of them are gone, and lets hope to heck that Nix/Whaley/Gailey immediately start making a series of solid additions (although Overdork is still here and still a huge hindrance).

Sure, Hardy turned out to be a terrible pick in retrospect but I still don't see that as such a terrible idea. They knew, and the rest of the league knew that he wasn't polished, didn't run great routes, wasn't a smooth receiver, wasn't quick/great off the line against DBs, and it would take years to teach him those things on the NFL level. What they were banking on was the fact he was a playmaker/touchdown/redzone guy in college, and could be a valuable asset while he learned to be an overall WR. His injuries and limited production killed that hope and we couldn't wait for him anymore. Bad pick because it didn't turn out, but I don't think it was a stupid pick, or they thought he did stuff that he couldn't do. If you followed him and the scouting reports and everything, everyone including the Bills knew he didn't run crisp routes.

He may never play well in the NFL, and could be a total bust. There are two dozen high draft picks every year that turn out so. We don't know right now on him but we couldn't afford to wait. To me, however, that was more of a circumstance thing rather than stupidity.