Final Roster: Positional Grades

Quarterbacks: F

The Bills have arguably THE worst quarterback situation in the NFL. What more is there to say?

Running Backs: B+

While the Bills don't have one of the marquee backs in the league, they have a talented stable of backs that many teams would be happy with.

Offensive Line: C

The young guards look good, the tackles are way below average.

Tight Ends: F

Foschi and Stupar are terrible. Nelson is suspended, a mediocre receiver, and a liability in the run game.

Wide Receivers: D

Lee Evans is a solid player. He would make a nice number 2 on a lot of teams. Everyone else would fail to make the roster on a team with a good offense.

Defensive Line: C+

Williams is serviceable, Stroud has a little left in the tank, and things are dicey beyond that.

Linebackers: D-

Poz will never live up to expectations, Mitchell is aging, and the rest are journeyman backup caliber.

Cornerbacks: C+

McGee is solid, Florence is not too bad for a nickel/dime guy. McKelvin has done nothing to warrant the high draft choice as of yet.

Safeties: B

Stong unit on the whole, good depth. I may have graded them higher but I'm skeptical that Byrd is the real deal.

Overall Team Grade: D

There is some talent on this offense, but that passing attack is just plain awful. In a league that favors the passing attack more and more every year, its going to be hard for the Bills to win many games with the meager production to be expected from their passing game. The defense has some talent as well, but the switch to 3-4 highlights the linebackers who are unfortunately the weak link of the defense.

Edited by Benjamin Barker

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills have arguably THE worst quarterback situation in the NFL. What more is there to say?

While the Bills don't have one of the marquee backs in the league, they have a talented stable of backs that many teams would be happy with.

Foschi and Stupar are terrible. Nelson is suspended, a mediocre receiver, and a liability in the run game.

Lee Evans is a solid player. He would make a nice number 2 on a lot of teams. Everyone else would fail to make the roster on a team with a good offense.

Williams is serviceable, Stroud has a little left in the tank, and things are dicey beyond that.

Poz will never live up to expectations, Mitchell is aging, and the rest are journeyman backup caliber.

McGee is solid, Florence is not too bad for a nickel/dime guy. McKelvin has done nothing to warrant the high draft choice as of yet.

Stong unit on the whole, good depth. I may have graded them higher but I'm skeptical that Byrd is the real deal.

There is some talent on this offense, but that passing attack is just plain awful. In a league that favors the passing attack more and more every year, its going to be hard for the Bills to win many games with the meager production to be expected from their passing game. The defense has some talent as well, but the switch to 3-4 highlights the linebackers who are unfortunately the weak link of the defense.

I am sure this won't be a popular post.

Edited by mpl6876

Gee, After reading this I want to suck-start a revolver. :cry:

Thanks for your very 'uplifting' opinion. How about we hold off to, say.....week 3 to grade the team, the coaches, and the new Off/Def philosophies. :doh:

Edited by BillsFanInLV

Gee, After reading this I want to suck-start a revolver. :cry:

Thanks for your very 'uplifting' opinion. How about we hold off to, say.....week 3 to grade the team, the coaches, and the new Off/Def philosophies. :doh:

Your right. I say no more negative comments and lets see what happens.

So you 2 just joined the board a couple of months ago so you could post all your very negative opinions all over it? :wallbash: I have a serious question, why bother?

If you are fans of the team you should support it. Do you have any positive thoughts that you would like to express? It is a fan site for fans of the team not a critic site for critics of the team. That is what E s p on is for. If I want to hear this stuff I would go there, at least they have some popularity among people and can write in an entertaining manner.

"If you dog one of us you dog all of us!" Get it?

fan:

1. an ardent admirer of a pop star, film actor, football team, etc.

2. a devotee of a sport, hobby, etc.

That is the first post I have purposely read from you MPL in quite a while and it just reinforces my ignore selection. At least you aren't calling anybody names (although you must have been warned since I am sure I wasn't the only one who reported you for that). And sure you're quite entitled to your opinion but what good opinions do you have about our football team? I would be a whole more interested in hearing those. Because I admire and am devoted my team.

Smell ya later

oh and this is an edit now because MPL took out the part saying he agreed with the OP

Edited by bowery4

There is some talent on this offense, but that passing attack AND THESE GRADES ARE just plain awful. In a league that favors the passing attack more and more every year, its going to be hard for the Bills to win many games with the meager production to be expected from their passing game. The defense has some talent as well, but the switch to 3-4 highlights the linebackers who are unfortunately the weak link of the defense.

So you 2 just joined the board a couple of months ago so you could post all your very negative opinions all over it? :wallbash: I have a serious question, why bother?

If you are fans of the team you should support it. Do you have any positive thoughts that you would like to express? It is a fan site for fans of the team not a critic site for critics of the team. That is what E s p on is for. If I want to hear this stuff I would go there, at least they have some popularity among people and can write in an entertaining manner.

fan:

That is the first post I have purposely read from you MPL in quite a while and it just reinforces my ignore selection. At least you aren't calling anybody names (although you must have been warned since I am sure I wasn't the only one who reported you for that). And sure you're quite entitled to your opinion but what good opinions do you have about our football team? I would be a whole more interested in hearing those. Because I admire and am devoted my team.

Smell ya later

oh and this is an edit now because MPL took out the part saying he agreed with the OP

Christ, are you kidding me? Its opinions that make any board great. And its condescending asses like you that make this board borderline unreadable. You signed up before other people. Congrats, get over it. This is as refreshing and realistic of post as I've seen in a long while. Bowery4, I can not imagine what kind of human being you are. If you are stupid enough to be spoon fed fluff stories and have unwarranted hope in a team that has not improved over the last 10 years, then you are the one that should be ignored. This post is REALITY.

fan:

Smell ya later

You post is ignorant. Do us all a favor and stop posting and just read others view points. Maybe you can learn something...

Not that it matters, I was never warned by anyone so your assumption is incorrect.

Edited by mpl6876

Christ, are you kidding me? Its opinions that make any board great. And its condescending asses like you that make this board borderline unreadable. You signed up before other people. Congrats, get over it. This is as refreshing and realistic of post as I've seen in a long while. Bowery4, I can not imagine what kind of human being you are. If you are stupid enough to be spoon fed fluff stories and have unwarranted hope in a team that has not improved over the last 10 years, then you are the one that should be ignored. This post is REALITY.

I reported you, I kept it civil and told them what I thought of their opinions, you are what makes the board un-entertaining at times. Don't like what I say, do the mature thing, call me a name.

I probably wouldn't mind their opinions if they had something constructive and/or original to say. I have never dogged on Bill from NYC because he is thinking about what he says and sometimes has some insights I might not of considered.

"Quarterbacks: F

The Bills have arguably THE worst quarterback situation in the NFL. What more is there to say?"

unthought out unsupported drivel.

I reported you, I kept it civil and told them what I thought of their opinions, you are what makes the board un-entertaining at times. Don't like what I say, do the mature thing, call me a name.

I probably wouldn't mind their opinions if they had something constructive and/or original to say. I have never dogged on Bill from NYC because he is thinking about what he says and sometimes has some insights I might not of considered.

"Quarterbacks: F

The Bills have arguably THE worst quarterback situation in the NFL. What more is there to say?"

unthought out unsupported drivel.

You are embarrassing yourself.

Ok then here let me embarrass you from the shout box

mpl6876 : (05 September 2010 - 02:51 AM) most fans are used to eating the apples so then dont complain they always think the next batch of apples will be better

mpl6876 : (05 September 2010 - 02:50 AM) no one on bills one drive seems to see the worms in the apples

mpl6876 : (05 September 2010 - 02:50 AM) caomparing spoiled apples with spoiled apples

mpl6876 : (05 September 2010 - 02:49 AM) but all in all all of our qbs suck

mpl6876 : (05 September 2010 - 02:48 AM) fitz is inaccurate very inaccurate but he is a gamer the guys like his willingness to win his guts his balls

mpl6876 : (05 September 2010 - 02:48 AM) fitz will take over just like last year

Benjamin Barker : (05 September 2010 - 02:47 AM) he didnt even win in college he lost like every game

mpl6876 : (05 September 2010 - 02:47 AM) i dont he even plays the whole season

Benjamin Barker : (05 September 2010 - 02:47 AM) yah he is a loser

Benjamin Barker : (05 September 2010 - 02:47 AM) trent probably wont even throw 20 touchdowns

mpl6876 : (05 September 2010 - 02:46 AM) te is not a winner

mpl6876 : (05 September 2010 - 02:46 AM) think too many fans have been drinking the cool aid

mpl6876 : (05 September 2010 - 02:46 AM) i cant understand it

mpl6876 : (05 September 2010 - 02:45 AM)This shout is hidden because you have chosen to ignore that user. View the shout

mpl6876 : (05 September 2010 - 02:45 AM) he would prefer a dennis dixon or traveris jackson type

Benjamin Barker : (05 September 2010 - 02:45 AM) and the whole organization just seems fine with having bad qbs

Benjamin Barker : (05 September 2010 - 02:45 AM) yah QB is by far teh most important position, its not even close

mpl6876 : (05 September 2010 - 02:45 AM) not chans type of qb either

Benjamin Barker : (05 September 2010 - 02:44 AM) when i saw he was cut i was like oh jesus please dont let buddy or chan get any crazy ideas

This team is full of raw young talent, Chan is a way better coach and gets the most out of his players. I would boost each category up 1 letter grade with the exception of rb. We are honestly way better of a team then we were 1 month ago when this thing started. We run the ball pass when needed, the players aren't great yet. I honestly think this team is really underrated. Not saying playoffs I am saying though with better coaching you win more games. Miami will be a good test for us if we keep it close and or win it that is exactlly how our season will be, close wins and losses. Did anyone see our mid schedule? Lions, chiefs jags? I think we can only help ourselves by winning those games and if we one 1 time against each divisional opponent we would have 6 wins there. I know somewhat a lot to ask of of a team with such unknown talent. Least we got rid of hardy man he stunk. I don't know What the hell T.O. thought of hardy. I saw a tall slow receiver that ran routes as bad as roscoe did his rookie year. I am always optimistic Go Bills!

Good post Phillip, sorry I got into the off topic back and forth above.

I think you are on target.

I kind of guess they will do good against Miami and not so good the next few games after. Barring many serious injury issues I could see them doing much better as the team learns together as the season goes on. If we do well and get some good luck in the early part of the season they might do very well.

Of course I could be very wrong.

Ok then here let me embarrass you from the shout box

mpl6876 : (05 September 2010 - 02:51 AM) most fans are used to eating the apples so then dont complain they always think the next batch of apples will be better

mpl6876 : (05 September 2010 - 02:50 AM) no one on bills one drive seems to see the worms in the apples

mpl6876 : (05 September 2010 - 02:50 AM) caomparing spoiled apples with spoiled apples

mpl6876 : (05 September 2010 - 02:49 AM) but all in all all of our qbs suck

mpl6876 : (05 September 2010 - 02:48 AM) fitz is inaccurate very inaccurate but he is a gamer the guys like his willingness to win his guts his balls

mpl6876 : (05 September 2010 - 02:48 AM) fitz will take over just like last year

Benjamin Barker : (05 September 2010 - 02:47 AM) he didnt even win in college he lost like every game

mpl6876 : (05 September 2010 - 02:47 AM) i dont he even plays the whole season

Benjamin Barker : (05 September 2010 - 02:47 AM) yah he is a loser

Benjamin Barker : (05 September 2010 - 02:47 AM) trent probably wont even throw 20 touchdowns

mpl6876 : (05 September 2010 - 02:46 AM) te is not a winner

mpl6876 : (05 September 2010 - 02:46 AM) think too many fans have been drinking the cool aid

mpl6876 : (05 September 2010 - 02:46 AM) i cant understand it

mpl6876 : (05 September 2010 - 02:45 AM)This shout is hidden because you have chosen to ignore that user. View the shout

mpl6876 : (05 September 2010 - 02:45 AM) he would prefer a dennis dixon or traveris jackson type

Benjamin Barker : (05 September 2010 - 02:45 AM) and the whole organization just seems fine with having bad qbs

Benjamin Barker : (05 September 2010 - 02:45 AM) yah QB is by far teh most important position, its not even close

mpl6876 : (05 September 2010 - 02:45 AM) not chans type of qb either

Benjamin Barker : (05 September 2010 - 02:44 AM) when i saw he was cut i was like oh jesus please dont let buddy or chan get any crazy ideas

I am not embarrassed. I was having a personal conversation with a fan who happened to share my viewpoints. I know many don't agree with my stances and I am ok wth that. You don't seem to have the maturity to understand that its ok for people to have differing points of view. You are a very shallow person. You have done nothing but embarrass yourself not me.

The OP is entitled to his opinion now matter how lame it is...

QB's Edwards can get the job done and has show that in many games in the past under Jauron, when he wasn't running for his life or getting concussed. The problem with the Bills QB's hasn't been their own doing, it was playing for a moron who didn't know a lick about the offense in DJ, and the inexperienced OC's he hired, both Schonert and AVP were rookies at their jobs. The entire offense has already shown vast improvements in play calling, game planning and scheme.

Chan Gailey has already show in this last game that the QB can get the ball to the receiver on a deep pass in 3 seconds, something that NEVER happened under Jauron and his staff of clowns who used to call 5-7 step drops that would get the QB killed.

RB's The Bills don't have AP or Chris Johnson, very true... but then the Titans and Vikings don't have THREE really good backs either. The days of only one good back have faded and most teams now have two or more, the Bills have two pro bowlers plus a rookie RB who many are saying is the best player in this years draft. The Bills could have the premier RB corps in the NFL.

WR's Granted the Bills receiver corps is somewhat lacking for a dominate blocking & a pass catching tight end and 2nd receiver opposite Lee Evans. Roscoe Parrish has shown marked improvement in Gaileys offense for the slot. I wouldn't give them a D just yet, not with a play maker like Evans on the field

O line The OP gave the Bills O line a C, which IMO is greatly over rating this starting unit. If not for the two decent guards this would undoubtedly be the worst O line in the NFL, and perhaps still might be. Chan Gailey has already shown that he can set up an offense that has the QB releasing the ball in 3 seconds or under, thus hiding the fact that both tackles are lacking. This team will still have trouble stopping Kris Jenkins- Vince Wolfolk up the middle with the current center, not going to be able to hide that position. Imagine if this team had two really good experienced tackles and a center... the offense would be unstoppable.

Grading the team before they have even played a full seasonal game is kind of foolish and I acknowledge that fact, I'm just going by what I noticed from the players in the preseason games. The Bills could bolster some areas from the waiver wire, like TE-OT-WR . I wouldn't be upset if the Bills brought in TJ whosyourmomma, even tho he is a slot WR. Let Roscoe and Evans run deep go routes and get TJ the ball underneath. That may help hide the fact the Bills don't have a great tight end

Edited by thewildrabbit

Not much, except "wow, you sure like to blather in ignorance!"

QB situations I wouldn't trade with just based on what Edwards has already done in the past:

Arizona - Warner's gone - Cleveland castoff Derek Anderson is it

Jets - Sanchez and his 63.0 rating is on his way to being known as Leinart East, although Brunell might come in and save this mess for a year

Carolina - Matt Moore or Clausen - wooh boy

Tampa Bay - Josh Freeman - QB rating 59.8 last year - but you say would trade with them - wow.

Cleveland - Jake DelHomme - incredible that Freeman's rating was not the lowest - how does a veteran with a rating of 59.4 get a new job?

Oakland - Campbell is going to implode - not all his fault though - he's the only one I'm being a little unfair to

KC - Cassell's claim to fame - he played well in NE throwing to Moss and Welker. He had a 69.9 rating w/o them last year.

Chicago - Cutler does a lot out there - mostly for the other team - he'll be gone next year

Rams - they have their top rookie, so who knows - if he's not the real deal they'll get to try again next year

I happen to think Gailey's worth a lot and Edwards will continue to shine as he has in the preseason - easily middle of the pack by season's end, but I don't need that to prove your statement's silly - what Edwards did using Jauron's crappy offensive schemes was still enough to be far from the worst.

Our backups aren't the worst - or would you rather trade with Pittsburgh for the first four weeks?

You're skeptical abotu Byrd because...?

Uhm... You've never watched him play?

OR MAYBE: You don't know that he put up the same kinds of INT numbers all through college, so last season really wasn't a fluke?

You're only real arguments here are that you want to say they suck - even in positions where clearly they don't - silly me responding to a troll.

Williams is a hell of a lot better than serviceable. Stroud is clearly reenergized. Dwan Edwards started for the Ravens last year, and has looked very good this preseason. Troup and Carrington have both looked good as rookie depth.

Again - have you watched any games, or are you just getting your ideas from Marshall Faulk and company?

Edited by BobChalmers

Not much, except "wow, you sure like to blather in ignorance!"

QB situations I wouldn't trade with just based on what Edwards has already done in the past:

Arizona - Warner's gone - Cleveland castoff Derek Anderson is it

Jets - Sanchez and his 63.0 rating is on his way to being known as Leinart East, although Brunell might come in and save this mess for a year

Carolina - Matt Moore or Clausen - wooh boy

Tampa Bay - Josh Freeman - QB rating 59.8 last year - but you say would trade with them - wow.

Cleveland - Jake DelHomme - incredible that Freeman's rating was not the lowest - how does a veteran with a rating of 59.4 get a new job?

Oakland - Campbell is going to implode - not all his fault though - he's the only one I'm being a little unfair to

KC - Cassell's claim to fame - he played well in NE throwing to Moss and Welker. He had a 69.9 rating w/o them last year.

Chicago - Cutler does a lot out there - mostly for the other team - he'll be gone next year

Rams - they have their top rookie, so who knows - if he's not the real deal they'll get to try again next year

I happen to think Gailey's worth a lot and Edwards will continue to shine as he has in the preseason - easily middle of the pack by season's end, but I don't need that to prove your statement's silly - what Edwards did using Jauron's crappy offensive schemes was still enough to be far from the worst.

Our backups aren't the worst - or would you rather trade with Pittsburgh for the first four weeks?

You're skeptical abotu Byrd because...?

Uhm... You've never watched him play?

OR MAYBE: You don't know that he put up the same kinds of INT numbers all through college, so last season really wasn't a fluke?

You're only real arguments here are that you want to say they suck - even in positions where clearly they don't - silly me responding to a troll.

Williams is a hell of a lot better than serviceable. Stroud is clearly reenergized. Dwan Edwards started for the Ravens last year, and has looked very good this preseason. Troup and Carrington have both looked good as rookie depth.

Again - have you watched any games, or are you just getting your ideas from Marshall Faulk and company?

Why such anger in your post? I don't find your points of views to be any more crediable than his. The truth lies somewhere in between. Why does one have to be so condescending?

(1) What has TE done in the past that is so commendable?

D. Anderson had one very good year. Not a fan of his but he is more proven than TE.

Sanchez young and unproven. IMHO, most football people would take him over any of our QB's.

Matt Moore/Clausen. Unproven but much more upside. I would take both of these over TE/Fitz.

J Freeman. Maybe you didn't see the second half of Tampa's season. This guy looked sharp. I wish he was on our QB roster.

Jake D. Appears to be washed up but maybe new scenery with Holgrim will jump start him.

Campbell without a doubt an upgrade over TE. Has lots of excuses. The stats don't lie. Bills should have traded for him.

Cassel looked great in NE. I would take him over TE just based on that performance.

Cutler comment doesn't even require a response. Shouldn't even be on your list.

Bradford. How many of us would want him on our team right now? Answer, everyone but you.

Our QB situation is one of the worst in the league. Perhaps not the worst but bottom feeders for sure.

I am not sold on Williams. You talk as though he is a pro bowler. He is adequate at best. Struod looks to be in better shape but I haven't been exactly wowed by his performance this preseason. So if you idea of reenergized is loosing weight than your correct. Who cares if Edwards started for the Ravens. Did you forget he has a suspect neck? I do like the way he has played this preseason. I haven't been impressed by Troup or Carrington. Then again they are young and should be given time to prove themselves. But, to this point they are back ups with something to prove.

I have watched every game. We all see things differently. Your opinion is appreciated (with valid points) your tone, condescending remarks, and name calling isn't.

Sadly, this is the kind of post I would have written months ago. I have since changed my behavior thanks to the many posters here. Maybe, you can take this advice and do the same.

Edited by mpl6876

Guest dog14787

Considering how the Buffalo Bills ranked in most offensive categories over the last few seasons and that we live in a what have you done for me lately world, Barkers grades while not what most folks would like to see are probably not that far off base in my opinion.

Preseason means nothing its what happens next that counts.

Note: Myself personally,I by no means am agreeing with Barkers observations and there's a couple of important factors that can make all the difference in the world in my opinion and that's Coaching and management.

Coaching/management over the last decade F :thumbdown:

Coaching/management of the future ??? (looking up in my opinion) :thumbsup: