Did Bruce DeHaven Retire in Buffalo?

fbzh2

Did Bruce DeHaven go to Buffalo to retire? After watching the replay on NFL last night I thought the Special Teams had the worst performance than the D and the O, and I thought that it was the worst we have seen since Wade Phillips had his neighbor coaching SP…..what the heck is going on?

This is not the kind of team that Bruce D’s reputation would expect to see from him. Was it the guys like Steve Tasker, Mark Pike, and etc that made him look good during his first stay in Buffalo? Or has he lost something in his ability to coach? Or does he have very poor players that can’t understand what they need to do?

I am just not very comfortable with what I saw. I realize it is only one game that I am basing it on- but come on- it was after all the third pre-season game, and guys should be playing for a roster spot…I just don’t have a good feeling about SP….but I sure hope I am wrong….it would be a shame to see SP go down after the great years under Bobby April…….. :(

I don't have an exact quote but I know Gailey was talking about Specials last week. He said that the toughest thing to do is evaluate special teams talent in the preseason. He said you are never able to practice with your "starting" unit because you don't know how many game reps they are going to get at each situation. (Kick Off, Kick Off Return, Punt, Punt Return, Field Goal, Field Goal Block) He said for this reason you need to put players out there immediately to evaluate talent. You have a ton of people on special teams trying to make the team and a ton that wont so that skews preseason Special Teams performance.

I don't have an exact quote but I know Gailey was talking about Specials last week. He said that the toughest thing to do is evaluate special teams talent in the preseason. He said you are never able to practice with your "starting" unit because you don't know how many game reps they are going to get at each situation. (Kick Off, Kick Off Return, Punt, Punt Return, Field Goal, Field Goal Block) He said for this reason you need to put players out there immediately to evaluate talent. You have a ton of people on special teams trying to make the team and a ton that wont so that skews preseason Special Teams performance.

Thank you for your rational response. I did not hear what Coach Gailey had to say, but that certainly put a better light on their performance, and make me less concerned. Thanks again..… :beer:

I have no problem admitting that I'm a bit concerned about the discipline of the STs thus far. I'm hoping that the issue has to do with guys trying too hard to show something which is causing the breakdowns like not staying in their lanes.

I have no problem admitting that I'm a bit concerned about the discipline of the STs thus far. I'm hoping that the issue has to do with guys trying too hard to show something which is causing the breakdowns like not staying in their lanes.

Thank you for your response…it got me to thinking….and to “further review” my last response, about what Coach Gailey had said about the Special Teams performance so far during pre-season. I believe Coach Gailey is an excellent coach and is committed to win. He has, IMO, demonstrated this in several ways since he has taken control of this team. I certainly will give him his do and accept his explanation, at least for now, as to why the ST has been so poor to this point.

However, I must agree with you about being concerned about their discipline and their failure to stay in their lanes. It would seem to me that that would be just fundamentals for ST play, and would be necessary to evaluate a player’s ability to perform on SP, and whether or not he can make your roster.

In addition it brought to my mind what happened during the Music-City-illegal-forward-lateral-pass-screw-up….they never would have scored that cheap illegal TD if those players had STAYED IN THEIR LANES! They would have tackled the ball carrier well short of the end zone.

What is most interesting to note, however, was who Wade Phillips fired….the Special Teams coach…..and who was that? That’s right, Bruce DeHaven…It does seem oddly coincidental, and my hope of all hopes is that it is just…coincidental…..only time will tell if we revisit this subject in a few weeks or not….how about after the third or fourth game? ST players should certainly know what’s what by then.

I hope I am wrong….I want this team to succeed, by only time will tell.

Why get on Dehaven? How were the STs last season?

I am not picking on anybody. I am just asking a question and stating some fact. I will also ask who is responsible for teaching the players what is necessary to play a certain position or scheme? The coach for that particular aspect of the game not the peanut vendor….

I am not picking on anybody. I am just asking a question and stating some fact. I will also ask who is responsible for teaching the players what is necessary to play a certain position or scheme? The coach for that particular aspect of the game not the peanut vendor….

What fact are you refering to?

These?:

"I am just not very comfortable with what I saw"

"I just don’t have a good feeling about SP…."

"I sure hope I am wrong"

And what, exactly is "SP"?

What fact are you refering to?

These?:

"I am just not very comfortable with what I saw"

"I just don’t have a good feeling about SP…."

"I sure hope I am wrong"

And what, exactly is "SP"?

:worthy: Nonsense! Please, don’t play dumb because you don’t like my response….I would like to give you more credit than that....!

Did Bruce DeHaven go to Buffalo to retire? After watching the replay on NFL last night I thought the Special Teams had the worst performance than the D and the O, and I thought that it was the worst we have seen since Wade Phillips had his neighbor coaching ST…..what the heck is going on?

This is not the kind of team that Bruce D’s reputation would expect to see from him. Was it the guys like Steve Tasker, Mark Pike, and etc that made him look good during his first stay in Buffalo? Or has he lost something in his ability to coach? Or does he have very poor players that can’t understand what they need to do?

I am just not very comfortable with what I saw. I realize it is only one game that I am basing it on- but come on- it was after all the third pre-season game, and guys should be playing for a roster spot…I just don’t have a good feeling about ST….but I sure hope I am wrong….it would be a shame to see ST go down after the great years under Bobby April…….. :(

You do realize being preseason all of those ST players are not the guys who will be here when the actual season starts, right.

PTR

PTR, I ask how many of they guys playing special teams now will be on the special teams squad? How many will be cut?

I am inclined to think that many of the guys playing special in the Bengals game will be playing in the regular season. Not all but the vast majority. As a result, I too like many others are concerned about our special team play. IMO,we will not be able to win many games with poor special teams play.

Edited by mpl6876

Why start a relatively (by TBD thread standards) rational conversation with a thread title that's obnoxious and ITG? Can't imagine you saying that to BD's face.

I can't argue with your ST concerns or others' comments that it might be premature, but there might be some historical basis - both for BD and for this crop of Bills.

Just, hate the thread title.