Kick returner(s)?

Cash

Being out of town and with no streaming capability of late, I haven't seen much of the Bills this preseason. Does anyone have a good bead on who will be back on kickoffs once the season starts? I would think McKelvin would be the primary guy, but the only thing I heard of him in training camp reports was that he dropped a ton of punts. Anybody got a clear idea? Also, have we been mostly putting 1 guy deep with a lead blocker (like in most of the Bobby April era), or having 2 returners back with no real primary (like in the previous DeHaven era)?

Being out of town and with no streaming capability of late, I haven't seen much of the Bills this preseason. Does anyone have a good bead on who will be back on kickoffs once the season starts? I would think McKelvin would be the primary guy, but the only thing I heard of him in training camp reports was that he dropped a ton of punts. Anybody got a clear idea? Also, have we been mostly putting 1 guy deep with a lead blocker (like in most of the Bobby April era), or having 2 returners back with no real primary (like in the previous DeHaven era)?

It's most likely going to be McKelvin back for KR and Parrish for PR. I wouldnt doubt at all if CJ was back there for either of them once in awhile. McKelvin, while a PR in college, has been mostly a KR in the pros. There is no reason to put him back for punts as long as we have Roscoe. Roscoe may be a wee bit too little as a KR and has always been a better PR than KR. Spiller was great in college at both.

It's most likely going to be McKelvin back for KR and Parrish for PR. I wouldnt doubt at all if CJ was back there for either of them once in awhile. McKelvin, while a PR in college, has been mostly a KR in the pros. There is no reason to put him back for punts as long as we have Roscoe. Roscoe may be a wee bit too little as a KR and has always been a better PR than KR. Spiller was great in college at both.

To be fair, McKelvin was also great at both in college, just better on punts than kicks. He's been great on kicks in the pros (last year's opener notwithstanding), but underwhelming on the few punts he's returned. I'll be surprised if Spiller or Jackson get thrown out there on KOs, but I expect Spiller to be the primary punt returner at least part of the year. Maybe only if Roscoe gets hurt, but we'll see. Back to KOs, I'd love to see my main Terrance McGee back out there, but I guess that ship has sailed. Too bad, because supposedly he's still game to return kicks if the coaches want him to.

McKelvin, Parrish, Mcgee, Jackson, and possibly Spiller. I think we kind of have the return game covered as far as qualified personnel. Moorman and Lindell...I think we have the kicking and fg responsibilities covered as far as personnel. I'm sure that DeHaven will find the people he needs to fill in the gaps. I'm just not that worried about special teams.

The fact that I have never played football, I would ask those of you who know more about the technical aspects of the game, to please explain what makes one player a better PR or KR than another player who can return one but not the other. The obvious difference of a PR being for a shorter distance than a KR from a tee, I would speculate is the reason; by why is one player better suited for one and maybe not the other? Size? Speed?

I played but neither of those positions. Coaching I look for quickness and shiftiness and sure hands for PR. KR i like pure speed and ability to break tackles. PR needs to elude, KR needs to see seems and be able to get there before the seem closes. PR needs to get 10-15 yards. KR needs to be able to go the distance every time he touches it.

I am no pro and only coach pop warner but that my 2 cents.

I played but neither of those positions. Coaching I look for quickness and shiftiness and sure hands for PR. KR i like pure speed and ability to break tackles. PR needs to elude, KR needs to see seems and be able to get there before the seem closes. PR needs to get 10-15 yards. KR needs to be able to go the distance every time he touches it.

I am no pro and only coach pop warner but that my 2 cents.

Thanks. I can see what you mean....