DirecTV to offer games online without DirecTV sat subscription

Peace

I paid my $350. For the first game, the quality was just ok. On HIGH quality, it was very skippy and jerky. So I watched the game on MEDIUM quality. Even still, there were some freezes here and there.

I had the thought that maybe it would work better with Explorer instead of Firefox. I'll experiment a little bit this week. I'd really like to be able to bump it up to that higher bitrate. The fast action is not so smooth on Medium.

I also noticed that DirectTV decided just recently to use the Flash player instead of Silverlight. I wish they didn't do that. I believe Netflix uses Silverlight and that works beautifully for me. I've never had a single problem with any Netflix streams and it looks amazing.

I had none of these problems. You were having d/l speed issues.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Myexperience with it was somewhere between Pease and Gringo, not perfect, but pretty good. I did have issues though trying to view other games. I'd get a message something like "Stream not available" Wasn't overly concerned, was just kind of playing aorund. I went to a DTV forum and a DTV spokesperson admitted they were working on some of these "bugs" Maybe game that were in higher demand, were running out of bandwidth or something??

For those out of the area wanting to view games here's another concept. A friend of mine is a Steeler fan but doesn't live in the Pitt TV zone. So he bought this thing called a "Hava" box for $150, configured it, then mailed it to his father who still lives in Pitt. His dad hooked it into output of his cable box then to his router/network, My friend then would access the output of this through IP address and could watch games on his computer where he lives and plans to next use his X-Box to view through TV. He can actually remotely change channels using an IR blaster. Just to mess around with his father who's not that computer savy he'll change his channels. Eventually the father figured out what was going on, but initially thought his TV was haunted. I'm not enough of a techno geek to explain the in's and out's but I'm sure many people here understand the gory details of it.

That's why they cal lit "SUNDAY" Ticket

I have it and its awsome but you cant watch late games and monday night games

Myexperience with it was somewhere between Pease and Gringo, not perfect, but pretty good. I did have issues though trying to view other games. I'd get a message something like "Stream not available" Wasn't overly concerned, was just kind of playing aorund. I went to a DTV forum and a DTV spokesperson admitted they were working on some of these "bugs" Maybe game that were in higher demand, were running out of bandwidth or something??

For those out of the area wanting to view games here's another concept. A friend of mine is a Steeler fan but doesn't live in the Pitt TV zone. So he bought this thing called a "Hava" box for $150, configured it, then mailed it to his father who still lives in Pitt. His dad hooked it into output of his cable box then to his router/network, My friend then would access the output of this through IP address and could watch games on his computer where he lives and plans to next use his X-Box to view through TV. He can actually remotely change channels using an IR blaster. Just to mess around with his father who's not that computer savy he'll change his channels. Eventually the father figured out what was going on, but initially thought his TV was haunted. I'm not enough of a techno geek to explain the in's and out's but I'm sure many people here understand the gory details of it.

That's why they cal lit "SUNDAY" Ticket

I have yet to hear about anyone's experience with Hava, but it seems like it is similar to the Slingbox, which several posters have used. Nice if you have a place in WNY to hook it up.

Edited by The Dean

DirecTV is causing me pain! There's this thing now where the channel will spontaneously change from the Bills game to the RedZone channel. Then when I try to switch back to the Bills game channel, it gives me a "STREAM NOT AVAILABLE" message. This happened three times during the game today. I missed most of the second quarter (and the entire Bills TD drive, which was ultimately their only watchable stretch).

I've spent quite a bit of time making sure the problem is not on my end. My laptop never has any problems doing any other stuff. I have a very good internet connection (approx 21 mb/s confirmed). No trouble streaming from other sites. Netflix and YouTube are smooth and fast. It's not my computer. I have run all possible scans, upgrades, utilities, etc... All signs point to optimum performance.

DirecTV has some explaining to do. If they can't promise me a better product ASAP, I'll be demanding my $350 back.

Not happy.

DirecTV is causing me pain! There's this thing now where the channel will spontaneously change from the Bills game to the RedZone channel. Then when I try to switch back to the Bills game channel, it gives me a "STREAM NOT AVAILABLE" message. This happened three times during the game today. I missed most of the second quarter (and the entire Bills TD drive, which was ultimately their only watchable stretch).

I've spent quite a bit of time making sure the problem is not on my end. My laptop never has any problems doing any other stuff. I have a very good internet connection (approx 21 mb/s confirmed). No trouble streaming from other sites. Netflix and YouTube are smooth and fast. It's not my computer. I have run all possible scans, upgrades, utilities, etc... All signs point to optimum performance.

DirecTV has some explaining to do. If they can't promise me a better product ASAP, I'll be demanding my $350 back.

Not happy.

Did you do SD this time?

Not happy.

I had no problems week 1 but this week was terrible. Like you, I had STREAM NOT AVAILABLE for the entire second quarter. After that, it was just fine. I did not have any problems last week or even last year. It was not a bandwidth issue because some streams (ARZ v ATL) came in fine while others, like the Red Zone, Bills, and many others, were STREAM NOT AVAILABLE.

DirecTV is getting a big ounce of my complaining time tomorrow. I would love my $350 back at this point since this is not looking like a season I really need to see every play for.

Did you do SD this time?

I don't get the option to choose SD versus HD.

However, the problems seems to be with DTV and the servers on their side.

If they are willing to admit that and give me some (small) consideration, I will stick with them. If they give me the brush off, I will fight them to the death.

Not happy.

I got my full $350 back today. I couldn't get on to any feeds. They said they knew about the problem and were working on it. I wasn't willing to gamble on that. I then put on a free feed and it was great. If DTV's feed was as good as the bootleg feed I would have been psyched. Oh well, I tried to do the right thing.

I got my full $350 back today. I couldn't get on to any feeds. They said they knew about the problem and were working on it. I wasn't willing to gamble on that. I then put on a free feed and it was great. If DTV's feed was as good as the bootleg feed I would have been psyched. Oh well, I tried to do the right thing.

At least they admit it. I'll give them a chance to make it right (if they can promise to fix it going forward). Otherwise, like you, I'll cut my losses.

It's a little bit comforting to know that I'm not the only one.

99% of the time, my annoying trait of procrastinating has done me in. This time, however, I'm so thankful that I forgot to sign up as there is no way I'd be happy about shelling out $350 to watch this team.

99% of the time, my annoying trait of procrastinating has done me in. This time, however, I'm so thankful that I forgot to sign up as there is no way I'd be happy about shelling out $350 to watch this team.

You did the right thing.

Right now their website is not even working. Maybe they don't want to hear from the thousands of angry customers. When you first try to check out their Customer Service, you get a message that says, "Do not call our Customer Service."

I tried to call them anyway and after navigating their menu maze, I got put on perma-hold. Then I went back to their website to send an email and I can't even do that.

DirecTV = :thumbdown:

You did the right thing.

Right now their website is not even working. Maybe they don't want to hear from the thousands of angry customers. When you first try to check out their Customer Service, you get a message that says, "Do not call our Customer Service."

I tried to call them anyway and after navigating their menu maze, I got put on perma-hold. Then I went back to their website to send an email and I can't even do that.

DirecTV = :thumbdown:

For non DTV customers with Sunday Ticket To-Go 1-800-670-7288.

If enough people get their money back maybe they'll fix it for next year.

I spoke to DTV about the problems I've been having. (Getting this "Stream Not Available" error for long periods of time)

They admitted that the problem is their fault. They say they "have technicians working diligently on the problem, but cannot say with certainty if or when the problem will be fixed."

So I asked them if they are willing to give any refund (partial if I stick with it or total if I want to cancel). They give me a very firm NO... at this time there are no refunds being given at all. It is DTV's policy (since I'm not a subscriber of their satellite service) not to make any changes, cancellations or refunds to my account after a certain date.

Quite upset and disappointed in the shockingly awful service. I know that this is the norm more than the exception these days for companies to treat customers like this, but I consider it unacceptable.

DTV = :sick::censored::thumbdown:

Edited by gringo starr

I spoke to DTV about the problems I've been having. (Getting this "Stream Not Available" error for long periods of time)

They admitted that the problem is their fault. They say they "have technicians working diligently on the problem, but cannot say with certainty if or when the problem will be fixed."

So I asked them if they are willing to give any refund (partial if I stick with it or total if I want to cancel). They give me a very firm NO... at this time there are no refunds being given at all. It is DTV's policy (since I'm not a subscriber of their satellite service) not to make any changes, cancellations or refunds to my account after a certain date.

Quite upset and disappointed in the shockingly awful service. I know that this is the norm more than the exception these days for companies to treat customers like this, but I consider it unacceptable.

DTV = :sick::censored::thumbdown:

Have they already charged you the full amount? If not you can simply tell the CC company to make no further payments, of course. But even if you did fully pay, you can file a grievance through the CC company, I imagine. They've admitted they are at fault. Document the conversation and tell Visa/Mastercard/AMEX/whatever you have been defrauded.

Have they already charged you the full amount? If not you can simply tell the CC company to make no further payments, of course. But even if you did fully pay, you can file a grievance through the CC company, I imagine. They've admitted they are at fault. Document the conversation and tell Visa/Mastercard/AMEX/whatever you have been defrauded.

Yes, already paid in full.

CC grievance is one way I'm prepared to go. Before that, I'll calmly make a nuisance of myself to their customer service and whatever supervisors and try to appeal to the notion of fairness. If DTV still flatly refuses to help me, I'll go after them in other ways. Also, I will spread the word of their terrible policies and services to all who will listen.

fine print on the original offer made it clear they weren't responsible for stream quality...#$!*ing pirates!

fine print on the original offer made it clear they weren't responsible for stream quality...#$!*ing pirates!

Sounds like it is more than stream "quality", as some say they simply can't get a stream at all at times. I would argue that is withholding service.