Hurricane Andrew

dib

18 years ago today, everyone asked if I was going to name my son (born the 22nd) "Andrew". No. There are still some places in South Miami-Dade that are abandoned as a result of Andrew.

18 years ago today, everyone asked if I was going to name my son (born the 22nd) "Andrew". No. There are still some places in South Miami-Dade that are abandoned as a result of Andrew.

Still remember that day, sounded like a freight train was going through the house. We lived right off of Fig Tree and Peters had just put on a new roof 3 weeks earlier. Most of it ended up on University. What a mess afterward.

My wife was down near Homestead, managing a bank at the time. True story: the bank was not only completely levelled by the storm, the bank vault was ripped off its foundation and blown across the parking lot.

(For those who don't know, bank vaults, in addition to obviously being extremely heavy, are bolted to a deep, massive concrete foundation.)

Hurricane Andrew wasn't a hurricane. It was a big-ass tornado. I am seriously glad I was nowhere near it.

My wife was down near Homestead, managing a bank at the time. True story: the bank was not only completely levelled by the storm, the bank vault was ripped off its foundation and blown across the parking lot.

(For those who don't know, bank vaults, in addition to obviously being extremely heavy, are bolted to a deep, massive concrete foundation.)

Hurricane Andrew wasn't a hurricane. It was a big-ass tornado. I am seriously glad I was nowhere near it.

I know you shouldn't use this word to describe something that created utter devastation but it was "awesome." It was a small, compact, fast moving storm that by the grace of god bobbled south at the last moment and destroyed Homestead. It was on a direct path to Fort Lauderdale where we lived. I remember the pics from the choppers and whole communities were gone, all you saw was the foundation.

I know you shouldn't use this word to describe something that created utter devastation but it was "awesome."

You shouldn't? I do that all the time. "Awesome" means nothing more than "inspires awe", with no connotation good or bad.

And it wasn't the "grace of God". It was always headed that way, the NWS just lied because they're part of the Department of Commerce and therefore wanted to make sure all the rich people got out first. [/conspiracy theorists] (Seriously...google "Hurricane Andrew conspiracy". Great stuff...)

You shouldn't? I do that all the time. "Awesome" means nothing more than "inspires awe", with no connotation good or bad.

And it wasn't the "grace of God". It was always headed that way, the NWS just lied because they're part of the Department of Commerce and therefore wanted to make sure all the rich people got out first. [/conspiracy theorists] (Seriously...google "Hurricane Andrew conspiracy". Great stuff...)

I don't know about all of that but I will take your word for it. There is a **** ton of money from the Keys to WPB. It really doesn't matter.