Man, it's going to be tough choosing the 53 man roster

BobbyC81

Byrd may not be ready for opener. Do you keep Cary Harris as a 5th safety or just go with 4, meaning only 3 for 1st game??

Fred Jackson & Lynch may both out for opener. Do you keep just Spiller & Bell or Chad Simpson also??

At least at WR, you have Evans, S.Johnson, Parrish, Chad Jackson & several others healthy. I think Hardy gets waived injured or put on IR.

Wang is injured. Do you keep him on the active roster??

Now Nelson suspended. Do you keep only 2 other TEs for 4 weeks??

One solution is that whoever loses out on #2 QB (Fitz??) gets waived along with Brown, who goes to practice squad, and you go with 2 QBs until some of the injured starters return.

Without the injuries, a 53 man roster could be like:

QBs- 3

RBs- 5

WRs- 6

TEs- 3

OL- 10 Offense Subtotal of 27

Def Line- 6

LBs- 8

DBs- 8 (4 CBs, 4 S) Defense Subtotal of 22 Roster Subtotal of 49

K- 1

Punter- 1

LS- 1 Total of 52 so 1 more somewhere. Maybe D-Line or LB.

When you have to cut guys you thought were good last year it means you probably have a better team.

Another way of looking at it is those players who you thought were good weren't really as good as you originally thought?

Even though he was suspended, Shawn Nelson was eligible to play in last night's game, but didn't get on the field. That leads me to believe at the very least he's in the doghouse big time.

Most teams carry 9 OL. Last year, the Bills started the season with only 8 on the roster. Typically, you keep 2 backups who can play OT, and 2 that can play C/G, and on Sunday 2 out of those 4 are active.

I expect the Bills to carry 5 CBs. McGee, Florence, and McKelvin are of course locks. Out of Corner, Youboty, and Lankster, I expect them to keep 2 and cut 1.

They may carry more LBs. Backup LBs are a big part of your special teams. Probably 9, maybe even 10.

Since Whitner and Wilson both have at least some experience at both safety positions, if they expect Byrd back relatively soon then they'll probably try to get by with just 4 safeties.

If Lynch isn't healthy enough to play in the final preseason game, they might keep both Bell and Simpson to start the season.

Every team in the NFL passed on Levi Brown at least 6 times in the draft. The only action he's going to get in the preseason is mop-up work with/against 3rd stringers, the vast majority of which won't make final rosters this season. Unless he does something outrageous in the final 2 preseason games, I can't see him getting enough attention for someone to sign him off the Bills P.S. to their active roster.