Thoughts on 1st Half

LABills08

On the Spiller run, you could see his superior speed to our other backs, Jackson included. The first 4 yards were due to solid blocking, but all of them (except maybe Jackson), would have been too slow to turn it up field and gotten no more. You could see how Spiller can keep defenders off him with his speed. That alone should be worth another 4 to 5 TD's this season.

Jackson has great vision. He finds a way through. But he doesn't have the speed to break away from NFL defenders to be a homerun threat. I like him, I root for him, and he's a good runningback. But he's still a little limited.

I don't think he looked that great tonight. Also, Simpson has a bit more experience and a (small admittedly) body of work in the NFL. Right now, based only on their performance in two preseason games, I'd keep Bell over Simpson.

Bell looks great, but it's against inferior competition. Lest we forget NFL Europe rushing champion Ken Simonton. I like what I see so far, but I wouldn't mind seeing him get a few reps with the first squad next week. In fact, I'd like to see him spell Spiller early on. I'm not as impressed with Simpson (aside from Simpson's KR last night and his nostalgic last name).

My thoughts:

D.Bell did well against Freeny. Our LT play will be better this year than expected.

Edwards didn't complete an intermediate pass over the middle, and I was not impressed other than one deep ball to an open receiver. But 14 points are 14 points.

I thought Brohm looked good and we will end up letting Fitz go. If Brohm had got a TD out of the 1st and goal and Trent had overthrown Lee I think we would have a depth chart controverfsy, but absent those two hypothetically different snaps, Trent stays at the top. Next week will determine the season starter with Brohm having to significantly outperform trent to leapfrog Trent.

Trent also did it against the starters which says a lot. Brohm did it against the scrubs (with the scrubs too, of course). But level of competition is a huge factor.

The defense is still progressing at the front seven, but I don't think we will be a step back from last year, and I expect progress through the season. I am worried against the run as we learn, but think we will get a better pass rush, and like what that could do for our already strong pass defense.

So no 0-16 doom, and I am glad that is behind us, and a fun exciting team to watch grow. Still some bumps ahead, but it should be fun.

We're still too raw to surpass 7-9 IMO. But here's to hope.

Jackson has great vision. He finds a way through. But he doesn't have the speed to break away from NFL defenders to be a homerun threat. I like him, I root for him, and he's a good runningback. But he's still a little limited.

Jackson's also almost 30. People love to say that he hasn't taken the hits other RB's have taken, but the fact remains, he's still old for an RB. He is most certainly not the future at the position. Spiller and Lynch are, and this Bell kid is turning some heads. I would love to trade Jackson to a team in need of an RB (Seattle? Denver?). Not sure that he's got a lot of trade value, maybe a fourth.