2006 Saints = 2010 Bills?

Maybe I'm late to the party on this one, but it looks like CJ joined the Subway team, just like Reggie.

http://tigernet.com/view/story.do?id=8704

Do you think he'll have a better rookie year? (see bills vs saints depth chart below)

Reggie's rookie year rushing:

G Att Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD Lng 1st 1st% 20+ 40+ FUM

16 155 9.7 565 3.6 35.3 6 18 27 17.4 0 0 2

Rookie year Receiving:

G Rec Yds Avg Yds/G Lng TD 20+ 40+ 1st FUM

16 88 742 8.4 46.4 74 2 5 2 32 0

Rookie year punt returns:

G Ret RetY Avg Lng TD 20+ 40+ FC FUM

16 28 216 7.7 65T 1 3 1 2 0

In 2005 the Saints were 3-13. In 2006 they hired Payton as new coach, and Bush was their first pick. Sounds a little familiar. They went 10-6 and won a playoff game.

2006 Saints depth chart vs. 2010 Bills

Offense

SAINTS

WR Marques Colston vs Evans = toss up

LT Jammal Brown vs Bell = Saints

LG Jamar Nesbit vs Levitre = toss up (generous)

C Jeff Faine vs Hangartner = Bills

RG Jahri Evans vs Wood = Bills

RT Jon Stinchcomb vs Green = Saints (unless Green stops jumping offsides)

TE Ernie Conwell vs Nelson/Stupar = Bills

WR Joe Horn vs ?? = Saints

QB Drew Brees vs. Trent = Saints, only from what we now know - at Trent's current tenure, Drew looked the same.

RB Deuce McAllister vs Freddie or Lynch = Bills (and it should be Lynch fyi :worthy:)

FB Mike Karney vs Cory M = toss up (although Cory was the backup FB for the Saints in 2006)

Defense (not apples to apples I know)

LDE Charles Grant vs Stroud = Bills?

NT Hollis Thomas vs Williams/Troup = generous toss up

DT Brian Young vs Edwards = Saints

RDE Will Smith vs Kelsay = Bills

SLB Scott Fujita vs Davis = Saints

MLB Mark Simoneau vs Poz = Bills (if healthy)

WLB Scott Shanle vs Torbor/Maybin = tossup

LCB Mike McKenzie vs McGee = Saints (sorry)

SS Omar Stoutmire vs Whitner = Bills

FS Josh Bullocks vs Bryd = Bills

RCB Fred Thomas vs Florence/McKelvin = Bills

Special Teams = Bills

Coaching = 2006 was Paytons 1st gig as a head coach - so at the time, gotta go with the Bills.

Wildcard = post Katrina emotions brought the team together, but no one on the Wall seems to take much stock in leadership or inspiration (see "Will Chan inspire like Marv?")

Can we pull it together like the 2006 Saints??? Am I off on something on matchups or depth charts?

GO BILLS

OK having 2nd thoughts about coaching match up - Payton at least was there for a few years before becoming HC, and they weren't doing as much of an overhaul.

Also, strength of schedule is about a toss up:

2006 Saints = opponents had 2005 winning record of .539 (T2), 5 games vs. 2005 playoff teams

2010 Bills = .500 (T16th), 8 games vs. 2009 playoff teams

QB Drew Brees vs. Trent = Saints, only from what we now know - at Trent's current tenure, Drew looked the same.

Untrue. Brees put up back-to-back excellent seasons before joining the Saints. He was a proven commodity who fell into their laps. The Bills didn't bother going after him, though, because they had the great JP Losman. :worthy:

As long as he stays healthy, C.J. should have a better year rushing. Passing is dependent on the QB and we don't appear to have any worth a dime, so he'll almost surely do worse. Kickoff returns were C.J.'s specialty at Clemson, but he did have 1 TD in 2009 returning punts. It'll depend greatly on Bruce DeHaven's ability to arrange blocking for him. That outlook is a lot better.

Untrue. Brees put up back-to-back excellent seasons before joining the Saints. He was a proven commodity who fell into their laps. The Bills didn't bother going after him, though, because they had the great JP Losman. :thumbsup:

True. Trent is entering his 4th season. Brees had 11 TDs and 15 INTs his 3rd year, with a passer rating of 67.5. Brees' breakthrough year(s) were 4 and 5. That's why I said based on his "tenure."

I can only hope that Trent will match Drew's development, but I won't bet the house on it.

True. Trent is entering his 4th season. Brees had 11 TDs and 15 INTs his 3rd year, with a passer rating of 67.5. Brees' breakthrough year(s) were 4 and 5. That's why I said based on his "tenure."

I can only hope that Trent will match Drew's development, but I won't bet the house on it.

Come on, this doesn't wash. In his third year of starting, Brees had 27 TDs against only 7 INTs and over 3,000 yards.

In his third year of starting, Trent Edwards got beat out by Ryan Fitzpatrick and earned the nickname Captain Checkdown.

Bress might let Edwards carry his jock, but I think he'd have to interview first.

Come on, this doesn't wash. In his third year of starting, Brees had 27 TDs against only 7 INTs and over 3,000 yards.

In his third year of starting, Trent Edwards got beat out by Ryan Fitzpatrick and earned the nickname Captain Checkdown.

Bress might let Edwards carry his jock, but I think he'd have to interview first.

It's a stretch, no doubt. But Trent wasn't the starter to start his rookie year either. God why am I even talking about this, Brees is way better than Trent. I was just trying to hope we could resemble the 2006 Saints after I saw a Subway ad with CJ.